Oscraps

Amazing Filing System!

mum2gnt

aA Creative Team
So I just thought I would share my filing system as so far it has made my life so much easier and it is so SO SO much quicker to scrap using it!!!!!
It's a bit long winded to explain but it truly works!
So all the zips are filed under ZIPPED and in that is FINISHED ZIPPED. Every zipped file has a number (I think you can do a number generator online from somewhere - I did mine at work) It is important that you keep your zipped files as you will see later!
So I download a file into ZIPPED then go into it and rename it - but keep the same original name and just put the next number from my list. eg. file downloaded is "abcde - winter kit" so I rename it "142. abcde - winter kit". Then unzip it to UNZIPPED and file it under FINISHED ZIPPED. Meanwhile in UNZIPPED I open that file to reveal all its contents. I rename all these with the file number and add the file type - so "142. abcde - winter kit" I rename all files inside this kit as "142. KIT abcde - winter kit" . Then I dish out the individual bits from this file into catagories. So in UNZIPPED I have a few catagories. PAPER, ALPHA, ELEMENTS, etc. And in those I have further catagories - like under ELEMENTS I have heaps of stuff like FLOWERS, STAPLES, FEATHERS, BUTTERFLIES, etc. Under PAPER I have colours and also a PAPER PACKS file so you can instantly see what papers came with eachother - but you put the catagories you want. But I also have a file ORIGINALS where I put the preview folder of each download. I also have a PIXEL CANVAS file where I copy/paste the preview file into. All the time the file bits have the number, type (KIT, PAPER, etc) and original file name (ie designer and product name).
Now all that sounds complicated I am sure but here's the clever bit! So you need a green paper for your layout. Look under PAPER>GREEN and all your green papers are there - all with file numbers, designers, product name and you can instantly see if it is part of a kit or paper pack or whatever by the title. So now you need a flower - go to ELEMENTS>FLOWERS and all the flowers are there! And if you want to know what came with that flower all you have to do is look in ORIGINALS and look up the number and you will see the original preview of contents. Want to do a beach layout but have no idea where to start? Look in THEMES>BEACH!!! See easy! It does mean a fair bit of work to file it all but once done it is a piece of cake!
And here is another clever bit.......So Oscraps are doing a challenge / CT call and you need to see your Oscraps stash. Look in SHOPS>OSCRAPS!! All the previews are there - all with their numbers, catagories and image. Here's where it is probably quicker to re-unzip the file rather than get each bit from each catagory. So once you have selected from the previews go to ZIPPED>FINISHED ZIPPED and look up the number of that preview file and just re-unzip it!
Need to read TOU? Look for that file number/name under TOU!
And here's the icing on the cake!!! Once imported into Photoshop it obviously imports the file name too so you can see from the file name (title) all the information you need for those all important credit lists! - in fact I rename my layers with numbers and designer initials now for those credit lists!
You can even do a search in Windows for the number / designer / kit name and it will bring up all files related to it!
So there you have it. It probably makes no sense at all but I would just unzip one file and do as I explained to see what I mean. It might not work for everyone but how easy is all that once done! If you do it, before you start I would sit down and work out catagories as it's hard to change them once done as they are written in the file names!!! I have basic catagories then sub catagories. It is an absolute breeze to work with and speeds things up no end! I did discover that not all designers put their names on their downloads - but if you open TOU it's usually in there. It also saves disc space as I used to copy each download ito catagories - like the whole thing! It takes ages but it is so worth it!
Anyway I have shared now so over to you!

mrstoa

mrstoa
I'll have to print the instructions out - I know I need some kinda system - At moment I file under designer and then have previews kits/templates - in the mega kits - or more than one kit designer (which most are!) I have folders for frames, flowers, etc.
But it's still eating space on my HD - I finally clued in that many times the unzipped files take up about same space as the zipped ones!
Thanks for bringing up the topic and telling your method appreciate it!

*Cornelia*

I write the designername_kitname
and have all listed with designernames,

but I give you a hint, why dont you use, picasa? he will load in all files and you only have to scroll through it, not open every file, thats much easier.

its a free program from google, and Im so glad using it, you wont need so many time, and you can scrap much much faster.

http://picasa.google.com/