Oscraps

A scary moment

Jeannette

CHEERY O
My son is in the Dutch army. At the moment his right now he and his platoon are on an exercise in Germany together with the Germans.
Thursday evening he called me on the phone. He wanted to tell me he was okay, but a terrible accident had happened and a young Dutch officer was killed during an exercise. He knew this officer. The army gave all soldiers permission to contact their families before the accident would be in the news.
I was so happy my boy was okay, but I could hear from his voice he was really shocked. We could only talk for a short while and he did not know yet what was going to happen. Would this exercise continue or would the be coming home. I haven't heard from him again yet, and although I know he is okay I just want to see him and give him a big hug.
But my heart goes out to the young officer and his family. How devistating it most be to lose your son.
I realize that being in the army brings certain risks, but I never imagined that something like this could happen during an exercise. I am proud of my son and of all young people who join the army, but at this moment I just want my kid to be home.

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
So glad to hear that your son is okay. It is a tragedy that a man was killed during an exercise. Hope your son is home soon so you can see and hug him again.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Oh, Jeannette, I'm so happy that your son was able to at least call you. I know you won't be able to relax until you hear from him again. Sending you lots of love and hugs. :grouphugyay: :hug3::hug4:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
What a rollercoaster of emotions for you and your son. I am so glad that he was able to call you so you knew he was ok. Big hugs to all of you xo

joyfulheartdesigns

Jenn :)
Designer
Oh my goodness...yes, VERY scary and SO sad for the family of the young officer who passed away :sad2: That is a relief that your son is okay, and I hope that you DO get to see him very soon!!! :hug2::beatingheart::heartpumpred::beatingheart:

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I'm glad your son was able to tell you about the incident. It's always so sad when you hear on the news that a serviceman died during a routine event. I hope you get to see or speak with him again soon!

anke55

CHEERY O
Oh gosh, that hit close to home! I am glad your son is ok, but what a horrible thing to happen!!