Oscraps

The Battle for the Isle of Kent
When William Claiborne received a proposal from the Virginia Company to be the official Jamestown surveyor in 1621, he knew it to be the chance of a lifetime. He was well-educated, the younger son of a wealthy merchant family with no inheritance on the horizon. A shrewd businessman and negotiator, he found himself aboard the George with the new governor, Sir George Yeardley. arriving in October of that year. The historical record shows he rose to some prominence and wealth in Virginia Colony and founded a trading colony on the Isle of Kent in the Chesapeake Bay in 1831, with the blessing and license of King James I and letters patent to that effect. Unfortunately, the King neglected his geography lessons when he granted Maryland Colony to Cecil Calvert, 2nd Lord Baltimore in 1832. They waged both a legal war and an actual physical war that included the first naval battle fought in Colonial waters against Thomas Cornwallis, yes of THAT family, in 1835. In the end, the king backed him up sometimes and Lord Baltimore others, the Star Chamber ultimately took Kent Island from him. He did amass great wealth in tens of thousands of acres of lands and houses, children and grandchildren. William Claiborne was my 11th great grandfather in my paternal line and Leonard Calvert in my maternal line. Talk about a family feud!

Start with paper 2 blended the map over that paper then placed the collage bit on top and blended paper15 over, then blended paper 12 over the whole. Add the stamps adjusting the compass stamp as needed. Place circle scribble over Isle of Kent on map, place photos with caption banners and names, adjusting elements already placed as needed. Add the two small clusters and journaling.
Credits list
Artful Expressions 02 by Vicki Robinson Designs
Fonts: Title – Anke Calligraphic FG, portraits – Champagne, journaling – John Lennon
All images are in the Public Domain
Designer(s) Used:
  1. Vicki Robinson Designs
  • Love
Reactions: Vicki Robinson

Layout information

Category
Vicki's Creative Team Inspiration
Added by
Susan - s3js
Date added
View count