Oscraps

School Disco
Bush Girl

School Disco

For the June 2014 Art Journaling Challenge.

This is less about the dressing up of the doll and more about the story - a story I wrote 5 yrs ago on the eve of my daughter going off to her first school disco aged 8. As many of you know, she is now a fully fledged, hormonal 13 yr old who's been to more dances than I can count! But at the time I was feeling nostalgic.

My story reads:

Friday night was School Disco night when I was at Xxxx Xxxx School, in Xxxx Street, London SW1 for my final year in juniors. I vividly remember the boys standing around refusing to dance, yet turning up each week anyway. And the girls, feeling that someone had to start things off, just getting on with it. And, oh, I remember the fashions! We were all seriously (as much as 11 yrs can be) into circular skirts, the more retro the better, which we wore with white ankle socks and those ghastly plastics shoes that were everywhere in 1979. And each girl had her own lip-gloss, which was another fad then, strawberry flavoured being deemed the best. All of which conflicted wildly with the wannabe punk persona I was trying to foster whilst hanging out in the Kings Road on a Saturday.

Selena aged 41 laughing at her 11 yr old self

Credits:

Paper & Transfers: Anna Aspnes, oscraps.com, ArtPlay Palette Lush & Epic
Border: Anna Aspnes, oscraps.com, ArtPlay Palette BBQ
Sprinkles: Kitty Designs, oscraps.com, Sprinkles Magic 1
Alpha: Danielle Young, oscraps.com, Pink Pinstripe Alpha
Girl: Sabees Creative World, gingerscraps.com, Womens Silhouettes
Skirt: downloaded from internet
Font: Joan & Traveling Typewriter
aaahhhhh, thinking about your child as she becomes a woman will result in lovely art journal pages!

Layout information

Category
Challenge 4
Added by
Bush Girl
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this layout