Oscraps

Page 206-207 Dad's Military Album Vol. III
agilchrest

Page 206-207 Dad's Military Album Vol. III

Favorable Communication
Credits list
Journaling:
A significant part of the USAFSS mission was to listen, intercept, collect and interpret electronic signals. Once the intelligence was gathered it would be transmitted to various clients. The primary client was the National Security Agency (NSA). The NSA would provide further analysis and distribute the intelligence to other recipients.

While I have not been able to determine exactly what occurred on the morning of the 20th of October 1958. The fact that it went to a “high ranking official of the United States government” indicates the information was incredibly important.

Historic events from 1958.

• 31 March 1958 Soviet Foreign Minister Gromyko announced the suspension of Soviet nuclear weapons tests.
• 2 September 1958 A US C-130 was shot down by Russian Migs. All six crew were killed the fate of the 11 intelligence agents has not been revealed.
• 11 October 1958 Pioneer 1 was launched.
• 15 October 1958 USSR performed a nuclear test at Novaya Zemlya
• 16 October 1958 the US performed a nuclear test at the Nevada Test Site
• 19 October 1958 the US performed a nuclear test at the Nevada Test Site
• 25 October 1958 the United States and Great Britain agreed to suspend nuclear weapons testing for one year. Three-power talks on a more permanent ban of nuclear testing began at Geneva on October 31.

Was the intercepted intelligence related to the space race or related to nuclear testing? During the Cold War, both the US and the USSR extensively monitored each other’s space and nuclear programs. Or was the intelligence related to the C-130 which had been shot down the previous month? Even though a US excavation found human fragments and identified two of the officers there are still stories that the 11 intelligence officers survived the crash and were held captive by the Soviet Union.

Assets Used:
Anna Aspnes
ArtPlay Palette Twilight Zone https://www.oscraps.com/shop/ArtPlay-Palette-Twilight-Zone.html
ArtsyTransfers Twilight Zone https://www.oscraps.com/shop/ArtsyTransfers-Twilight-Zone.html
UrbanThreadz No. 8 https://www.oscraps.com/shop/UrbanThreadz-No.-8.html
Designer(s) Used:
  1. Anna Aspnes
whoa, this is so significant, I'm surprised it's not classified. I think for a long time the NSA wasn't even public. Anyway, this is very cool, I like the inclusion of the events of the time - what was it? so mysterious!

whoa, this is so significant, I'm surprised it's not classified. I think for a long time the NSA wasn't even public. Anyway, this is very cool, I like the inclusion of the events of the time - what was it? so mysterious!
If you are really interested in the goings-on of the time you should check out a book called The Puzzle Palace: Inside the NSA by James Bamford. It was published in 1982. I read it when it first came out and then sent a copy to my Dad. His response was. "This guy is not in jail?" Later he told me that something mentioned in the book is what he received the Air Force Medal of Commendation for.

If you are really interested in the goings-on of the time you should check out a book called The Puzzle Palace: Inside the NSA by James Bamford. It was published in 1982. I read it when it first came out and then sent a copy to my Dad. His response was. "This guy is not in jail?" Later he told me that something mentioned in the book is what he received the Air Force Medal of Commendation for.
Thanks, this is interesting to me. My husband and I both worked in national security. It was another organization, not NSA, which you used to not be able to mention - now they have a website :)

This is fantastic. Love how you've included the timeline events. I've read this book. It was given to me by a friend who spent his live in the army. Fascinating!

Layout information

Category
Anna Aspnes
Added by
agilchrest
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename