Oscraps

Enterprise fire pg4 Kay copy.jpg
Journaling
Bill was working nights and had just arrived at the chief’s quarters right before 8 AM and was preparing to hit the rack., when he heard a loud bang. He immediately rushed down to the maintenance shop to see if they knew what was going on. “This is not a Drill” announcement was made and General Quarters was called. Someone from the deck above hammered on the ceiling hatch and opened it to bring down a badly injured sailor. Bill helped get him down and then on to sickbay. He ended up on a hose fighting the fire on the hanger deck for several hours. Unbeknownst to Bill, he was reported missing as he was not in the shop when the roster was taken after battle stations was called and lock-down happened.

One of the explosions on the flight deck ripped a hole in it and down through several decks below. The chief’s quarters he left was damaged and he would have been killed or severely injured had he not left the space when he did.

The ship limped back into Hawaii later that day. Bill was not able to get off the ship to call home until the next day. The lines to get to a phone were hours long and limited to 5 minutes per person.
Credits list
4 Page spread of The USS Enterprise Fire in 1969
Used Template 02 and changed it for each page

My Story Mega Collection 03 by Karen Schulz Designs
https://www.oscraps
.com/shop/digital-scrapbooking-mega-collection-03-my-story-karen-schulz-designs1.html
Designer(s) Used:
  1. Karen Schulz Designs
Wow! What a chilling. event! It is a miracle that your husband survived this blast! I am so thankful he left the quarters when he did! I am so glad you are documenting this for generations to come!

@EvelynD2 Yes, someone was looking after my husband so he left his quarters that morning. This is the type of nightmare that no one in the military or their family wants to go through. All our children remember that event so well.

What an incredible story and documentation, Kay! I was able to enlarge each page on FB and what a story! You definitely needed to document this for your family. Congratulations on the Standing O!

Layout information

Category
Karen Schulz Designs
Added by
BrightEyes
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename