Oscraps

Brave New World B
musicmom3

Brave New World B

FotoInspired Templage Pack2F_2 and _3 https://www.oscraps.com/shop/FotoInspired-Template-Pack-No.-2F.html
Chatter Artplay Palette: https://www.oscraps.com/shop/ArtPlay-Palette-Chatter.html
ART wordart mix #1
https://www.oscraps.com/shop/Art-WordART-Mix-No.-1.html

Photoshop Elements 14
I had a lot of text so I did a little jigging around to accommodate it all, including moving the circular frame over to the left of the page and adding a text block in the upper right corner. Other than that, it was clipping in my photos and adding the background and brushes. The title spans the gutter, which looks weird when the pages are cut apart for display here, but will be just fine in the final printed product.

I used two papers on color burn mode for the background (Artsy paper #6 over #2). Solid paper 3 on multiply mode at reduced opacity gave everything a yellowish cast and helped tie all the colors together.

Journaling reads:
MASS MoCAs huge space allows installations like this one by Liz Glynn to stretch out forever (well, more like 30,000 square ft.), in a series of five experiences, so by the time you get to the end you are emotionally winded. She asks interesting questions: What happens to stuff, and the people who make stuff, in the age of an increasingly virtual, dematerialized economy? What does the future look like? How is real value created and how does financial value square with our physical reality and the lives we live in real time? The installation opens with the pyramids, made from recycled forklift pallets, then goes through abstract sculptures and Speculations--three shipping containers each with a mini- installation about the past and future. Next is The Age of Ephemeralization, a scaffold tower housing 3-D printers that churn out relics of manufacturing like hardware and machinery. You climb these to look down at a vision of a dystopian future that made my blood run cold. This section is called Post-Industrial Vacationland (after Aldous Huxley), that responds to the idea that people freed from labor would be liberated and have great leisure. Huxley argued that humans would instead experience depression and boredom when technology replaced their jobs. So what you see from the scaffolds is a series of metal hospital guerneys acting as lounge chairs, placed under tanning lamps to propose the vacationland of the future There are even stainless steel tumbleweeds. You can walk through this area on the ground floor, too, and its just as chilling from that perspective. At the end theres a grid of small forklift pallets holding piles of newsprint posters, which visitors are invited to take. One side features a photo of an industrial landscape in transition, the other features messages about the state of progress.
Such a fascinating exhibit. I can see why it would be exhausting but compelling. I loved your journaling to go with the photos

Layout information

Category
Anna Aspnes
Added by
musicmom3
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this layout