Oscraps

You are not going to believe this

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
So, I spent seven days and many hours downloading my files from Backblaze. Then, my second external hard drive crashed! I had just bought it last August from Amazon. I then looked on the bottom of the external hard drive and found out it was made in 2010! I just bought it less than a year ago! I called Amazon and they refunded my money. I am now trying to download the files that were on that external hard drive from the shops because I found out, unfortunately that those files were NOT backed up by Backblaze for some reason. :sad2: My dear husband took me to Walmart after church last night to buy another external hard drive!:heartpumpred:

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
So sorry about all the problems with your hard drives!!! Being able to look at the created date on the HD is a good reason for buying it in person so you can check that it is the latest.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
What a mess! I can't believe the HD you bought off Amazon was that old; a good thing to know in the future, and at least you got your money back!

I use Backblaze and it's my understanding that an EHD will only stay backed up if you hook it up to your main computer at least every 30 days. BB has to be able to "see" it on a regular basis to keep the files backed up, otherwise it assumes you deleted those files and don't need them backed up anymore. I get reminders from BB after 14, 21, and 28 days that I have to connect my EHD's (I have 2 of them-one for my layered TIFFs and one for older kits, so I'm not always using them). Could this be the case with your one drive?

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Oh boy - I need to look at mine. I have Backblaze, but the stories I've heard about retrieving your files are pretty daunting. Mine only continuously backs up to one of my drives. The EHD has to be inserted into Drive D and I have a "splitter" on my drives, that our IT guy put on there. I HOPE they're both being backed up. I used to get messages from BB saying that one of them wasn't being backed up, so hopefully they're both working.

I'm so glad Amazon refunded your money, but hope you can get everything off of the old one. It's so frightening to think of all the files I have on mine. I'm running out of places to back my files up. Good luck, Evelyn.

zanthia

CHEERY O
angie is right about backblaze - externals do need to be plugged in at least once every 30 days for the standard plan, Last year they did a free upgrade for one year which occured about 2 weeks after my external died. so i just have to change the date to view/restore files and my external that died in sept is still there. You have to do this each time you sign on though.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
So sorry about all the problems with your hard drives!!! Being able to look at the created date on the HD is a good reason for buying it in person so you can check that it is the latest.
That is soooo true! We went to Walmart last night and I made sure it was a recent model external hard drive before I bought it.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
What a mess! I can't believe the HD you bought off Amazon was that old; a good thing to know in the future, and at least you got your money back!

I use Backblaze and it's my understanding that an EHD will only stay backed up if you hook it up to your main computer at least every 30 days. BB has to be able to "see" it on a regular basis to keep the files backed up, otherwise it assumes you deleted those files and don't need them backed up anymore. I get reminders from BB after 14, 21, and 28 days that I have to connect my EHD's (I have 2 of them-one for my layered TIFFs and one for older kits, so I'm not always using them). Could this be the case with your one drive?
It does have the files from my older external hard drive but not from my second external hard drive that I had bought from Amazon. I thought it would automatically detect it but I was wrong. I made sure it was plugged in every few days but I guess they only backed the older one.

• Care
Reactions: AZK

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Oh boy - I need to look at mine. I have Backblaze, but the stories I've heard about retrieving your files are pretty daunting. Mine only continuously backs up to one of my drives. The EHD has to be inserted into Drive D and I have a "splitter" on my drives, that our IT guy put on there. I HOPE they're both being backed up. I used to get messages from BB saying that one of them wasn't being backed up, so hopefully they're both working.

I'm so glad Amazon refunded your money, but hope you can get everything off of the old one. It's so frightening to think of all the files I have on mine. I'm running out of places to back my files up. Good luck, Evelyn.
Thank you so much! I'm trying to delete some of the files that I don't need as I'm transferring files to my new EHD.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
angie is right about backblaze - externals do need to be plugged in at least once every 30 days for the standard plan, Last year they did a free upgrade for one year which occured about 2 weeks after my external died. so i just have to change the date to view/restore files and my external that died in sept is still there. You have to do this each time you sign on though.
Thank you so much! That is good information to know!