Oscraps

Windows 11 ???

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
My old computer was giving me all sorts of problems so I bought a new one. My son installed it for me yesterday. I had Windows 10 on my old computer, but used a program called Classic Shell to convert it back to an earlier windows, Windows 8. But Classic Shell is not doing that for Windows 11, which the new computer has. Does anyone here use Windows 11? I'm spending today trying to get used to the new-to-me-windows and it's very frustrating. One of the biggest problems I have is that none of the folders show the contents. I'm a very visual person and am used to "seeing" what is in a file, rather than reading the title of the file to find what I'm looking for. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
My old computer was giving me all sorts of problems so I bought a new one. My son installed it for me yesterday. I had Windows 10 on my old computer, but used a program called Classic Shell to convert it back to an earlier windows, Windows 8. But Classic Shell is not doing that for Windows 11, which the new computer has. Does anyone here use Windows 11? I'm spending today trying to get used to the new-to-me-windows and it's very frustrating. One of the biggest problems I have is that none of the folders show the contents. I'm a very visual person and am used to "seeing" what is in a file, rather than reading the title of the file to find what I'm looking for. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?
I HATED that Betty Jo!! Fortunately, I was able to revert my computer back to Windows 10! I also had to go into DOS and "fix it" so 11 couldn't download automatially. I HATE it!! Is 11 the only OS on your computer? It MIGHT be able to install 10.

PS I just found some into from Microsoft about "going from 11 to 10" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/84a2416d-ccfb-4d87-9eee-e1056591e91f

Here's another article on Tech Talk: https://www.computerworld.com/artic...ant-to-downgrade-to-10-youve-got-options.html

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
@Cherylndesigns , thank you so much for taking your time to look up this info. My new computer came with Windows 11, so it's the only OS on it. I've been reading the links you sent and found this work around for the file folders: https://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/13/tutorial/how-to-generate-folder-thumbnails-in-windows-11.html

What an absolute mess they have made of Windows! No folder thumbnails, no drag and drop, and probably a lot of problems I haven't even discovered yet, what on earth were they thinking?

I will pass all of this info by my son next week, he's my computer tech, I'm clueless on the technical aspects. He will be out of town this weekend videoing a wedding today and another tomorrow. He's a MAC guy, and if I had had the funds, I'd now be a MAC gal, but unfortunately I had to get what I could afford so stuck with Windows.

Last edited:

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I’m glad I read this before I installed Windows 11. The lack of folder thumbnails is a deal breaker. I did read that they are currently in the developer beta version of the OS, so I’ll just hold out until that becomes a regular release. I so wish I could afford to go back to the Mac.

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
I’m glad I read this before I installed Windows 11. The lack of folder thumbnails is a deal breaker. I did read that they are currently in the developer beta version of the OS, so I’ll just hold out until that becomes a regular release. I so wish I could afford to go back to the Mac.
Cindy, I'm glad you read this first too. This morning my PS isn't even working. Yes, if the work-around for the thumbnails doesn't work for me I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do. I've never had a Mac, although I have used my son's, and if I could afford it I'd be ording a Mac today! ♥

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Don't do it - you won't like it. You only have a few days to convert back to Windows 10!!!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Cindy, I'm glad you read this first too. This morning my PS isn't even working. Yes, if the work-around for the thumbnails doesn't work for me I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do. I've never had a Mac, although I have used my son's, and if I could afford it I'd be ording a Mac today! ♥
If I hadn't figured how to keep my computer from auto uploading 11, my next step was to get a Mac. That's going to be my next computer, anyway. I've had it with Microsoft!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
@Cherylndesigns , thank you so much for taking your time to look up this info. My new computer came with Windows 11, so it's the only OS on it. I've been reading the links you sent and found this work around for the file folders: https://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/13/tutorial/how-to-generate-folder-thumbnails-in-windows-11.html

What an absolute mess they have made of Windows! No folder thumbnails, no drag and drop, and probably a lot of problems I haven't even discovered yet, what on earth were they thinking?

I will pass all of this info by my son next week, he's my computer tech, I'm clueless on the technical aspects. He will be out of town this weekend videoing a wedding today and another tomorrow. He's a MAC guy, and if I had had the funds, I'd now be a MAC gal, but unfortunately I had to get what I could afford so stuck with Windows.
If he knows much about computers, IF it can be done - he can probably figure it out. Note to self - do not buy a new computer with only 11 installed. Here's something else I found out - Windows 11 is STILL in BETA - that means it isn't even "ready to use" - I just don't understand why Microsoft is pushing this on us against our will.

You're certainly welcome, Betty Jo!!

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
If he knows much about computers, IF it can be done - he can probably figure it out. Note to self - do not buy a new computer with only 11 installed. Here's something else I found out - Windows 11 is STILL in BETA - that means it isn't even "ready to use" - I just don't understand why Microsoft is pushing this on us against our will.

You're certainly welcome, Betty Jo!!
Yep, if anyone can figure it all out, my son can. The problem is, finding the time, it's his busy season with his wedding video business. My PS isn't working correctly now, as of this morning, can't resize photos or other graphics. I came close to throwing the whole kit and kaboodle off my balcony! I've tried installing older versions of PS today, but they aren't working either, and they worked perfectly on my old computer. So, I'm thinkin' it has something to do with this new set-up. Not sure if the Windows 11 can cause problems with PS or not. I have no tech sense whatsoever! I'll ask in the Adobe community first of the week, doubt I'd get an answer on the weekend, and see if they can help. :rolleyes:

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O

Yep, if anyone can figure it all out, my son can. The problem is, finding the time, it's his busy season with his wedding video business. My PS isn't working correctly now, as of this morning, can't resize photos or other graphics. I came close to throwing the whole kit and kaboodle off my balcony! I've tried installing older versions of PS today, but they aren't working either, and they worked perfectly on my old computer. So, I'm thinkin' it has something to do with this new set-up. Not sure if the Windows 11 can cause problems with PS or not. I have no tech sense whatsoever! I'll ask in the Adobe community first of the week, doubt I'd get an answer on the weekend, and see if they can help. :rolleyes:
WHY......WHY.....WHY???? Can't they leave anything alone?????????????

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
I HATED that Betty Jo!! Fortunately, I was able to revert my computer back to Windows 10! I also had to go into DOS and "fix it" so 11 couldn't download automatially. I HATE it!! Is 11 the only OS on your computer? It MIGHT be able to install 10.

PS I just found some into from Microsoft about "going from 11 to 10" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/84a2416d-ccfb-4d87-9eee-e1056591e91f

Here's another article on Tech Talk: https://www.computerworld.com/artic...ant-to-downgrade-to-10-youve-got-options.html
How do you stop them from doing a download automatially??? Don't want it to happen to my computers!!!

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
So sorry you are going through this! I remember all the drama when Windows 10 came out but I sailed through that with no problems. I guess I should be happy that my laptop is now so old that all I got was a notification that my "PC currently doesn't meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11" and suggesting I run a PC health check. No thank you!

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
Thank you so much, Angie. My advice would be to stay as far away from Windows 11 as possible. I still can't get my PS to work on the new computer. I'm working with an Adobe rep in the help forum to try and figure out the problem. So far, no luck. :(

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Cheryl, thank you soooooo much for all your help in this thread! I would not have had a clue how to answer the questions being asked. ♥
You are SO welcome, Betty Jo!! I'm SO happy that I could help! I know how frustrating these things can be and I'm always happy to help! Did you see the link I posted to Kay? How to STOP Windows 11 from automatically uploading? When you get Windows 10 installed, you'll want to do that! Here it is again:

How to Stop or Block Windows 11 update? - Microsoft Community

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
You are SO welcome, Betty Jo!! I'm SO happy that I could help! I know how frustrating these things can be and I'm always happy to help! Did you see the link I posted to Kay? How to STOP Windows 11 from automatically uploading? When you get Windows 10 installed, you'll want to do that! Here it is again:

How to Stop or Block Windows 11 update? - Microsoft Community
Yes, I saw, and thanks for that. I'm not sure yet if I'll be installing W10. My son will have to make that decision, since he's the computer tech. Right now I'm sooooo frustrated because I can't get Photoshop to work on the new computer. I'm working with an Adobe rep in the community help forum, but nothing he's suggested I do has worked so far. I'm not at all sure, but I think it's because of the W11. Phew! What an incredible mess.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Yes, I saw, and thanks for that. I'm not sure yet if I'll be installing W10. My son will have to make that decision, since he's the computer tech. Right now I'm sooooo frustrated because I can't get Photoshop to work on the new computer. I'm working with an Adobe rep in the community help forum, but nothing he's suggested I do has worked so far. I'm not at all sure, but I think it's because of the W11. Phew! What an incredible mess.
I remember how I felt the morning I woke up and 11 had automatically uploaded on my computer!!! I went CRAZY when I saw all of the closed folders!! I was SO upset and my husband came in to see what my problem was. Of course, he didn't "get it" but he knew I was upset! I reverted my computer back to Windows 10 and the very next day - boom - 11 again! That's when I figured out a way to stop it from updating! It's crazy-making!

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
I remember how I felt the morning I woke up and 11 had automatically uploaded on my computer!!! I went CRAZY when I saw all of the closed folders!! I was SO upset and my husband came in to see what my problem was. Of course, he didn't "get it" but he knew I was upset! I reverted my computer back to Windows 10 and the very next day - boom - 11 again! That's when I figured out a way to stop it from updating! It's crazy-making!
I'm so glad you figured that out, Cheryl, and now hopefully it will help others. It has been the most frustrating thing I've encountered in a long time, computer wise. I now have my PS working so that's a huge win for today. Yay!!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I'm so glad you figured that out, Cheryl, and now hopefully it will help others. It has been the most frustrating thing I've encountered in a long time, computer wise. I now have my PS working so that's a huge win for today. Yay!!
Ohhhhh, I'm SO thrilled for you!!! Got PS working - that's all you need for now!!! I agree - it was one of the most frustrating things and I DON'T like "work-arounds". Don't have time for them. BWAHAHA

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
Now this is why I am a Mac girl LOL. Hubby is dealing with Windows updates too, he is not very good with computers so I just turned off auto updates for his PC. Hope that ends the problems for a while!