Oscraps

What is Your Favorite Christmas Memory or Tradition?

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I spent almost 5 years stationed in England while in the Army and was unable to come home on leave for Christmas the first 2 years. I finally had enough seniority to get a month's leave and was able to come home two of the last three years I was overseas. That last year, I was stationed in London and found an amazing doll house for my kid sister that the creator broke down flat and included directions to put it back together again - directions that actually worked and my Dad had it all done in under an hour for Santa to deliver. That came out of the cargo hold on a trolley that I could attach my suitcase to, as well. No problem. The big challenge, though, was the hand knotted wool rug I'd found for my Mom. It was all rolled up and safely stowed in the hold, but it was a big deal getting it through Heathrow and then through Palm Beach International. Heathrow had luggage carts, Palm Beach did not. I am forever grateful to the gentlemen that helped me out along the way. And the look on both Kim's and Mom's faces when they opened their gifts was just priceless.

Kim still has the dollhouse. In fact, it's in my closet as I write, but she never decorated it so maybe we can do that together. And I now have the rug I gave Mom. She told me she would leave it to me when she passed, which is 7 years ago now. My cat, Sophie, likes to dig her claws into it, so it's not currently on the floor, but will be once we pull the 1960's shag carpet off the floor and buff the wood back up - if I can find a deterrent for those little claws!

Kythe

CHEERY O
It isn't a tradition anymore but as a youngster in the mid 1950's, my family lived very close together. There were 25 grandchildren. My grandparents rented a hall and all the families brought roast turkey and the trimmings. 3 long trestle tables were set up for seating and one for the banquet.
After dinner and clean up, the musical side of the family entertained us and every child was expected to produce some sort of entertainment. (I dreaded that part as I sing like a rusty gate). Once the show was over the dance began and Santa arrived.
Once the grandchildren were grown with families of their own, the family just got too big to carry on.
It was glorious fun and lasted until I was 13.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
We always went to my paternal grandparent's house on Christmas evening. I had several cousins on my Dad's side of the family and I remember all of us sitting on the floor around the tree, opening our presents. The best present ever was a Wire-Haired Terrier stuffed dog that I immediately named Ginger. I had Ginger for years and she was almost worn bare from all the loving she got.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
It isn't a tradition anymore but as a youngster in the mid 1950's, my family lived very close together. There were 25 grandchildren. My grandparents rented a hall and all the families brought roast turkey and the trimmings. 3 long trestle tables were set up for seating and one for the banquet.
After dinner and clean up, the musical side of the family entertained us and every child was expected to produce some sort of entertainment. (I dreaded that part as I sing like a rusty gate). Once the show was over the dance began and Santa arrived.
Once the grandchildren were grown with families of their own, the family just got too big to carry on.
It was glorious fun and lasted until I was 13.
What a great memory! My family was too spread out but we usually rotated years going to Phoenix where most of Grandma's family lived. In other years, she came to visit us. Those were very special! Sadly, we moved too far away in 1964, so we had some Christmases with my Grandpa (my father's parents divorced. Both remarried with Grandma living in Phoenix and Grandpa in Kentucky. We moved to Alabama.) I think it would have been a football stadium for us if both sides got together. Grandpa was one of 21, Grandma one of 8, and on my mother's side my great grandmother had 25 aunts and uncles. That would have been GREAT dirty Santa!

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I thought of another one. My maternal grandparents lived by a field (in the city) called Harter's Field. My maternal grandfather was a huge jokester and he used to tell us kids that he saw Santa's sleigh land there. We spent a few Christmas Eve's at their house and he always made a big deal out of going to Harter's Field. Of course, he never let us go with him. :floorlaugh:

He also told me every year that Santa was going to bring me a pony. :rolleyes1::rolleyes1: