Oscraps

What Black Sheep Are on Your Family Tree?

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
We ALL have them - even kings and queens, famous people, and the Founding Fathers! And believe it or not, most Americans have a king or queen and other famous people on the trees. The black sheep are so fun, though. And, because they refused to conform to society's wishes, we know a lot more about them - usually.

I have moonshiners and pirates in mine - well privateers but that's just a legal pirate. What about you? Tell us your stories!

Amandajk

Yes! We do have a castle in our lineage- The Strangs were Lords of the Manor in Pevell castle.
More "recently" , my great uncle was KKK #mad while on the other side another uncle was a Revolutionary Soldier. I could be a DAR if I chose to. Haven't done that. My grandfather was a moonshine runner! He had a car like this
051000_02z-1940_ford_tudor_coupe-side_view.jpg

with the back end rigged so that he could hide the shine in it. He often was chased by the police. Oh. Boy. And he was a pool shark, but so was Dad. Never gambled though- just fooled people, lol!! BUT my other grandfather was a gambler and it cost him his marriage. Sad. Divorce wasn't so common back then. Glad my Dad was able to be such a good and Godly man even though his father wasn't.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Yes! We do have a castle in our lineage- The Strangs were Lords of the Manor in Pevell castle.
More "recently" , my great uncle was KKK #mad while on the other side another uncle was a Revolutionary Soldier. I could be a DAR if I chose to. Haven't done that. My grandfather was a moonshine runner! He had a car like this
051000_02z-1940_ford_tudor_coupe-side_view.jpg

with the back end rigged so that he could hide the shine in it. He often was chased by the police. Oh. Boy. And he was a pool shark, but so was Dad. Never gambled though- just fooled people, lol!! BUT my other grandfather was a gambler and it cost him his marriage. Sad. Divorce wasn't so common back then. Glad my Dad was able to be such a good and Godly man even though his father wasn't.
Great story, Amanda! Those moonshiners are fun!

tjscraps

My dad's grandpa was sent from England to Canada for robbing a Co-op. He had a wife and children there, that no one found out about until he had a wife and 21 children here. Good times lol

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
My dad's grandpa was sent from England to Canada for robbing a Co-op. He had a wife and children there, that no one found out about until he had a wife and 21 children here. Good times lol
My Dad's father was one of 21 and my Mom's Great grandmother was one of 26, but two families and a whole passel of kids. Wow! I didn't know there was transportation to Canada. Educate us Trina!

Last edited:

tjscraps

My Dad's father was one of 21 and my Mom's Great grandmother was one of 26, but two families and a whole passel of kids. Wow! I didn't know there was transportation to Canada. Educate us Trina!
He was born 1873, so this was likely near the turn of the century as he was an adult - I don't actually know much about him just that story, that we weren't actually legitimate because his marriage here was not real, as he was already married before he was forced to come to Canada (on a boat I'm assuming?)

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
What great black sheep stories! I don't have anything close to what some of you have. My grandpa was a horse trader, a car trader, a poker player and a general roust-about. I was his little partner in crime. He used to take me to places he shouldn't and always told me not to tell Grandma or Mom. LOL Especially his poker games and he wasn't supposed to smoke cigarettes because, being a fireman, he had emphysema - well, he smoked anyway, and I was always sworn to secrecy. The thing I'm mad about is that he didn't teach me how to play Poker! I went to so many "behind closed door Poker games with him). He used to take me to the horse track, used car lots, and I'd hang out with all the men - probably wasn't a great environment and would be frowned on today but I had a blast. I got my love of horses and cars from our adventures. His nickname was "Honest Sam the Used Car Man". Hahaha He got me my very first car - from one of his car buddies - it was a year old and SO cool!!

Funniest story - I got a speeding ticket right after he got me my Chevy SS BIG ENGINE car (wonder why I got a ticket?) and he said, "give me that ticket!" He marched himself right up to that policeman's front door and the guy probably tore the ticket up just to get rid of Poppy. He wouldn't ever take no for an answer. The next day, he said "DO NOT get another one!"

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
He was born 1873, so this was likely near the turn of the century as he was an adult - I don't actually know much about him just that story, that we weren't actually legitimate because his marriage here was not real, as he was already married before he was forced to come to Canada (on a boat I'm assuming?)
It was called the poor man's divorce and happened a lot. He may have been declared legally dead. Send me some details and I'll see if I can find him and his family and what came after on Find My Past. Might be surprised!

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
What great black sheep stories! I don't have anything close to what some of you have. My grandpa was a horse trader, a car trader, a poker player and a general roust-about. I was his little partner in crime. He used to take me to places he shouldn't and always told me not to tell Grandma or Mom. LOL Especially his poker games and he wasn't supposed to smoke cigarettes because, being a fireman, he had emphysema - well, he smoked anyway, and I was always sworn to secrecy. The thing I'm mad about is that he didn't teach me how to play Poker! I went to so many "behind closed door Poker games with him). He used to take me to the horse track, used car lots, and I'd hang out with all the men - probably wasn't a great environment and would be frowned on today but I had a blast. I got my love of horses and cars from our adventures. His nickname was "Honest Sam the Used Car Man". Hahaha He got me my very first car - from one of his car buddies - it was a year old and SO cool!!

Funniest story - I got a speeding ticket right after he got me my Chevy SS BIG ENGINE car (wonder why I got a ticket?) and he said, "give me that ticket!" He marched himself right up to that policeman's front door and the guy probably tore the ticket up just to get rid of Poppy. He wouldn't ever take no for an answer. The next day, he said "DO NOT get another one!"
Cheryl, this story just made me roll! Couldn't get away with so much, now!