Oscraps

Were you a paper scrapper......................

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Prior to digi scrapping or did you start digi scrapping first?

If you were a paper scrapper first, does it influence your digi scrapping?

claireee323

I tried paper scrapping just a little bit, but I don’t think it was long enough to influence my digi scrapping. I definitely like the artsy and blended look that is easier-achieved digitally.

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I was a paper scrapper for almost 10 years before switching to digi. That was 18 years ago. My paper scrapping used to really influence my style. I wanted my pages to really replicate the look I created as a digi scrapper. But these days, not so much. (It probably still influences my more traditional pages.)

BoatLady

Great topic-Yes I was a paper scrapper I made 18 12X12 Creative Memories books as full as they can be and 2 of the smaller ones for our kids weddings. When I got a digital camera (2002) I decided it was dumb to print pics then cut them up so found some digi sites and that is my story! I used to have a craft room and a sewing room so paper was easy then we moved to a smaller house with no craft room so my life changed.
My daughter is a paper scrapper and has a whole room for scrapping now and wont do digi- I keep trying to correct her thinking!!!

LauraD

Scrapbooking reminds us that life is beautiful.
CHEERY O
I was a paper scrapper from 2000 until about 2007. Around 2006-2007, I got my first digital camera and really got into photography. I got photoshop to edit my photos. I was looking around for actions and styles and such when I discovered digital scrapbooking was a thing. I had gone back and forth as to make the switch or not, but I was finally hooked when I realized I could shop any time of day, reuse my items, and manipulate my photos a lot easier. I ended up selling my whole scrapbook room to a mother/daughter who wanted to spend time together with this craft. I'm so happy I played a part in it. Around the same time, I was at a weekend crop with a fellow digi scrapper who still done paper scrapbooking. She had her paper scrapbook stuff in the car "just in case". Her husband is a State Police officer. We got a call to our hotel room around midnight, saying there was a thief who broke into many cars, and her car was one of them. She thought her husband was pranking her. He wasn't! The thief stole all of her paper scrapbook supplies!!!!! She was very cool about it though, said "well, looks like the decision to go 100% digi was made. I can use the insurance from my stolen goods to buy more digit stuff". . . . it was scary, but a positive ending.

I hate lugging out my huge 12x12 scrapbooks and having the items fall loose because the sticky didn't last 15 years. I am so grateful for the digital scrapbooking world. I love sharing my layouts on Facebook for my family to see. Otherwise, they would never look at my scrapbooks.

Great question!

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I was a paper scrapper for a few years before going digi. As a matter of fact, I was just looking through my old paper album yesterday when I came across it looking for something else. I found digiscrapping while looking through a Creative Memories magazine while my kids were at the library and never went back. I can accomplish so much more from an artistic angle with digi than I ever could on paper. I gave 90% of my paper supplies away when I was downsizing for a move a few years ago.

bcgal00

Yes, I was a paper scrapper for about 10 years before digi. I taught classes at a few stores, sold stamps for Close To My Heart and then Stampin Up. I also held classes and crops in my basement classroom for years. It was a very fun, social time. But when an injury prevented me from scrapping for a bit, that is when I delved in digi and was hooked on that. I finally got rid of all my supplies but it was hard to let go of my die cut machines, all my stamps and well, everything. But I won't ever go back to paper scrapping, digi is my thing now.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I tried paper scrapping just a little bit, but I don’t think it was long enough to influence my digi scrapping. I definitely like the artsy and blended look that is easier-achieved digitally.
Oh, definitely! You can't achieve that w/o going deep into mixed media with paints, etc. I love that about digi scrapping.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Yes, I was a paper scrapper for about 10 years before digi. I taught classes at a few stores, sold stamps for Close To My Heart and then Stampin Up. I also held classes and crops in my basement classroom for years. It was a very fun, social time. But when an injury prevented me from scrapping for a bit, that is when I delved in digi and was hooked on that. I finally got rid of all my supplies but it was hard to let go of my die cut machines, all my stamps and well, everything. But I won't ever go back to paper scrapping, digi is my thing now.
That's so interesting, Rae. I also taught classes at a couple of brick-and-mortar stores - Joan Etc. was one of them and another one was a local mom and pop store. I started my design team ventures at that store and had so much fun. I agree, it was really fun to teach people how to do different techniques, especially beginning scrappers. I was on several design teams and received boxes of scrapping goodies about once a month. It was extremely hard to let go of my "machines" and I kept a couple of them. I still have a big box of paper that I can't bear to get rid of and lots of other odds and ends if I get a yen to work in my Travelers Notebooks, but I'll never go back to paper scrapping either.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
No, I never been a paper scrapper.
That's interesting that some of you started right out with digi. I think that was a little "before my time". It was just starting to scratch the surface and the paper scrappers weren't terribly fond of it when I was deep into paper scrapping. Look at me now. :floorlaugh:

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I was a paper scrapper for almost 10 years before switching to digi. That was 18 years ago. My paper scrapping used to really influence my style. I wanted my pages to really replicate the look I created as a digi scrapper. But these days, not so much. (It probably still influences my more traditional pages.)
This is exactly me, Cindy. I always tried to emulate my paper pages and sometimes (not very often) I still do. I started paper scrapping after my first grandchild was born and he's 25 now. I think I switched to digi in about 2011, but was still doing a little paper scrapping. I'll never go back, unless to work in my Traveler's Notebooks, which I do occasionally.

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
I was a paper scrapper for about 10 years. I sold Stampin' Up! stamps and taught classes for several years. I discovered digital scrapping about 20 years ago. I did both for several years. I started out with Print Shop then moved over to PSE7. I just sold off my stamps and inkpads but still have papers and a few other supplies as I still do some paper scrapping of the photos we have taken over the years. I didn't go to a digital camera until about 12 years ago so have lots of print photos that I am slowly scanning into the computer. I do print out many of my digital pages - especially of my husband and our life together - and put them into albums.

Yes, my paper scrapping experiences influence some of the digi-pages I create but I love that digi allows me to create pages with lots of depth and layers without the bulk that paper scrapping had. I will continue to do some paper scrapping - especially of those extra special occasions like weddings, anniversaries, and birthdays when I have printed photos. The family loves to pull out the photo albums when we have a get-together and look at them and reminisce about what we were doing and recall those times.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Great topic-Yes I was a paper scrapper I made 18 12X12 Creative Memories books as full as they can be and 2 of the smaller ones for our kids weddings. When I got a digital camera (2002) I decided it was dumb to print pics then cut them up so found some digi sites and that is my story! I used to have a craft room and a sewing room so paper was easy then we moved to a smaller house with no craft room so my life changed.
My daughter is a paper scrapper and has a whole room for scrapping now and wont do digi- I keep trying to correct her thinking!!!
I love hearing about how everybody started. I had a dedicated scrap room - it made quite a mess, you know. I could just shut the door at night. When we downsized and I lost my scrap room, I started really thinking about going digital. It's a no mess way to scrap and I've really never thought of going back. Your DD sounds like a try paper scrapper.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I was a paper scrapper from 2000 until about 2007. Around 2006-2007, I got my first digital camera and really got into photography. I got photoshop to edit my photos. I was looking around for actions and styles and such when I discovered digital scrapbooking was a thing. I had gone back and forth as to make the switch or not, but I was finally hooked when I realized I could shop any time of day, reuse my items, and manipulate my photos a lot easier. I ended up selling my whole scrapbook room to a mother/daughter who wanted to spend time together with this craft. I'm so happy I played a part in it. Around the same time, I was at a weekend crop with a fellow digi scrapper who still done paper scrapbooking. She had her paper scrapbook stuff in the car "just in case". Her husband is a State Police officer. We got a call to our hotel room around midnight, saying there was a thief who broke into many cars, and her car was one of them. She thought her husband was pranking her. He wasn't! The thief stole all of her paper scrapbook supplies!!!!! She was very cool about it though, said "well, looks like the decision to go 100% digi was made. I can use the insurance from my stolen goods to buy more digit stuff". . . . it was scary, but a positive ending.

I hate lugging out my huge 12x12 scrapbooks and having the items fall loose because the sticky didn't last 15 years. I am so grateful for the digital scrapbooking world. I love sharing my layouts on Facebook for my family to see. Otherwise, they would never look at my scrapbooks.

Great question!
Oh my goodness, what a terrible thing to have all of your scrapping stuff stolen. I went to a few crops and some of those women came in there with several totes on wheels. They must have brought their entire scraproom with them. It's a big decision to go digital and I went back and forth too for awhile. I don't miss the mess, that's for sure and we can do so much with digital, like you said. My scrapbooks are so thick you can hardly get them closed. Lots of layers even back then.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I was a paper scrapper for about 10 years. I sold Stampin' Up! stamps and taught classes for several years. I discovered digital scrapping about 20 years ago. I did both for several years. I started out with Print Shop then moved over to PSE7. I just sold off my stamps and inkpads but still have papers and a few other supplies as I still do some paper scrapping of the photos we have taken over the years. I didn't go to a digital camera until about 12 years ago so have lots of print photos that I am slowly scanning into the computer. I do print out many of my digital pages - especially of my husband and our life together - and put them into albums.

Yes, my paper scrapping experiences influence some of the digi-pages I create but I love that digi allows me to create pages with lots of depth and layers without the bulk that paper scrapping had. I will continue to do some paper scrapping - especially of those extra special occasions like weddings, anniversaries, and birthdays when I have printed photos. The family loves to pull out the photo albums when we have a get-together and look at them and reminisce about what we were doing and recall those times.
Kay, one of the things that got me to thinking about this topic was a layout I was working on last night. I was so picky about everything when I paper scrapped - I had a little tag (last night) with nothing on it. I would NEVER have put a blank tag on a page back then. I ended up putting a cute little button on it and a bow. I'm influenced a lot by my paper days. Sounds like you are, too. I got my digital camer in about 2000, but I was only paper scrapping then, so had to have the pics printed out. The big "event" was when I got my Canon Rebel in 2008 - I was still not totally into digi, but sort of playing around with "styles" and "actions". When Becky Higgins came out with Project Life, in about 2010, 2011 (I'm not sure) it was just on the iPhones/iPads. That was my big intro into digital scrapping. Then she finally made it available on the computer.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Sounds like several of us started with Creative Memories. That was my first exposure to paper scrapping. My daughter made me go to a party (I really didn't want to go) - I caught the bug and she did for awhile, but finally quit. I never quit - or looked back. I was hooked.

joyfulheartdesigns

Jenn :)
Designer
I did paper scrapping for about two years, I think that was probably 1996-1998...I mainly only got to scrap when the kids were napping, and as they got older it was more difficult to haul all of the scrapping stuff out and then put it all away before they could get their little hands into it! :giggle4: In 1998-99 I got into designing linkware sets for people to use on their blogs/websites in exchange for linking back to my site, and then in 2004 I switched over to digi scrap designing and have done some layouts, but I never got "the bug" for creating layouts, it was really just the paper that I enjoyed. I still have a TON of scrapbooking paper that I can't get rid of...that was such a HUGE investment...I could NOT go into a craft store and NOT buy at least a few 25cent papers while I was there :couchhide: I always loved looking through the paper arts magazines and drooling over stamps in the store! I still have my stamps somewhere, too! :heartpumpred:

bcgal00

When I started digi I wanted my pages to look paper scrapped b/c that is what I was comfortable with so realistic shadows were important to me. I gravitated towards overlays and paints quickly b/c of my paper scrapping with lots of gesso, paints, sprays, etc.

@joyfulheartdesigns Oh, don't get me started on paper LOL. I shopped at least 2-3 times/wk and ordered online too so I ended up with a wall of paper shelves and two huge bins. It was crazy how much money I spent back then.

AK_Tracy

Oh yes, paper scrapping. I think I kept some of you in business with buying stamps! :giggle4: I think I had about $1000 worth of stamps when I finally sent them off to Salvation Army. I had buckets of stuff. Papers, ink, scissors, gel pens, markers, stamps, and the heat gun for embossed and all the powders that went with it. Oh it was fun. But no craft room so I had to haul it out and put it away every single time. I loved it! Made all 75 Christmas cards every year. This was in the 90's early 2000's. Then in 2011 I was introduced to Heritage Makers, online digital service that you subscribed to and owned nothing. Didn't even need software to run it, just a computer and photos. Very much paper style made digital. Just over a year ago, I found ScrapGirls and there my journey really took off. I had to buy everything. o_O WHAT but oh its been fun. I learned so much yet still had the paper style going. Small background paper behind photos. Limited stickers. Journal. Yep looked like paper but who knew there were other ways to do things. SG showed me some fun tips n thing and the ladies were amazing with this super newbie. While I did digi layouts and books, I feel my true digi journey started a year ago. Here I have learned some amazing things too and how to blend better and now I can create art. Yet my personal books still look like paper layouts. I will never go back to paper though as I think I made four books in the years of paper but since digital I have 50 books or so. Its so much faster and easier just picking up my laptop, plug in EHD and off I go. I have 4 stamps I kept for my calendar. I mark birthdays with a balloon and anniversary with hearts. I have two ink pads. Forever Digital now.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Oh yes, paper scrapping. I think I kept some of you in business with buying stamps! :giggle4: I think I had about $1000 worth of stamps when I finally sent them off to Salvation Army. I had buckets of stuff. Papers, ink, scissors, gel pens, markers, stamps, and the heat gun for embossed and all the powders that went with it. Oh it was fun. But no craft room so I had to haul it out and put it away every single time. I loved it! Made all 75 Christmas cards every year. This was in the 90's early 2000's. Then in 2011 I was introduced to Heritage Makers, online digital service that you subscribed to and owned nothing. Didn't even need software to run it, just a computer and photos. Very much paper style made digital. Just over a year ago, I found ScrapGirls and there my journey really took off. I had to buy everything. o_O WHAT but oh its been fun. I learned so much yet still had the paper style going. Small background paper behind photos. Limited stickers. Journal. Yep looked like paper but who knew there were other ways to do things. SG showed me some fun tips n thing and the ladies were amazing with this super newbie. While I did digi layouts and books, I feel my true digi journey started a year ago. Here I have learned some amazing things too and how to blend better and now I can create art. Yet my personal books still look like paper layouts. I will never go back to paper though as I think I made four books in the years of paper but since digital I have 50 books or so. Its so much faster and easier just picking up my laptop, plug in EHD and off I go. I have 4 stamps I kept for my calendar. I mark birthdays with a balloon and anniversary with hearts. I have two ink pads. Forever Digital now.
You must have a LOT of stuff, Tracy. I never was a big stamper. I did more when those acrylic blocks came in and I could see what I was stamping. LOL I still have my embossing powders and heat gun and my distressing inks. I still can't part with my stash of papers, either. I have always loved paper and still do with digital. I'm like you - I have SO many books since I went digital and didn't have that many paper scrapbooks, because they took so long to do.

zanthia

CHEERY O
I tired paper scrapping first years ago( even took a free class at a local store) but it was too hard on my hands with all the cutting, stamping etc due to my arthritis . and once i found out about digital , there was no looking back

so because it was such a short time ,there was no influence on my digiscrapping

janedee

I paper scrapped first for about seven years. At first I scrapped on the dining room table and had to drag everything out each day, then we moved into our current house and I had an office/scraproom. I really went to town at that point stocking up on supplies, some of which I still have , although much has been given away and half of the rest was destroyed in the flood we had three years ago.
I started transitioning to digital about 2008 when I saw some beautifully blended pages online by Rhona Farrer And Jessica Sprague. I took a bunch of classes from Jessica and also ones by Jana Morton which were a huge help to me.
I love being able to print my books now and the family definitely look at them far more than the paper albums.

Very occasionally I will still make a mini album or the odd card.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I tired paper scrapping first years ago( even took a free class at a local store) but it was too hard on my hands with all the cutting, stamping etc due to my arthritis . and once i found out about digital , there was no looking back

so because it was such a short time ,there was no influence on my digiscrapping
I hear you about the toll it takes on the hands. I started getting arthritis in my hands too and all that punching (when I made books and altered things) was getting harder and harder. I agree about digi scrapping in lots of ways, but that was a big one for me, too.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I paper scrapped first for about seven years. At first I scrapped on the dining room table and had to drag everything out each day, then we moved into our current house and I had an office/scraproom. I really went to town at that point stocking up on supplies, some of which I still have , although much has been given away and half of the rest was destroyed in the flood we had three years ago.
I started transitioning to digital about 2008 when I saw some beautifully blended pages online by Rhona Farrer And Jessica Sprague. I took a bunch of classes from Jessica and also ones by Jana Morton which were a huge help to me.
I love being able to print my books now and the family definitely look at them far more than the paper albums.

Very occasionally I will still make a mini album or the odd card.
Oh my goodness, you brought back the horrors of scrapping on my dining room table. Oh, the mess and having to drag it all out and put it all away. I did that for about 2 years and what a drag. It was wonderful to get a real scrap room. I still dabble with my Travelers Notebooks and will occasionally make a card, but it's rare for the cards. I took some classes too plus watched a lot of videos. I was obsessed with Anna Aspnes' style of art and wanted to create art like that.

Jaydubbya

I wouldn't call myself a paper "scrapper" but I previously made greetings cards using punches to make flowers etc before die cutting was introduced. In fact I was asked to contribute articles to a papercrafting magazine but thought that sounded too much like hard work. Did the Floral Punch Craft for a few years along with parchment work and stamping. Then came across digiscrapping and thought "this will work out cheaper than keep buying punches and card." Silly me! I got hooked. But I so enjoy digiscrapping and am grateful for the lovely comments made on my pages. x

A-M

Yes, I was a paper scrapper for only two years before I turned to the darkside of digital scrapbooking.
I still make greeting cards but mostly digital - printed and sometimes embellishments added to them.
Sadly I had a few paper scrapbook albums I was still working on that got destroyed when our home was flooded in 2022.

Nickel

Feeling Owsome at the O!
CHEERY O
Right now I am in my garden reading an old Creating Keepsakes from April 2006.
I started in 2005 and filled 2 12 x12 albums. I loved it but Ilove tge digi effects more.Also it was alot cheeper. I had paint shop pro already on my computer. I used Basic Grey jpgs as backvrpund papers

I can't throw away those beautiful papers Iwant to make some hybrids but it is a fuss fo get them printed.