Oscraps

Unlocking FONTS on a new PC

Robloz55

Back in May of 2023, my son built me a brand new PC - with brand new and faster hardware. This PC still uses Windows 10. I had a 2 TB external HDD and I spent weeks transferring the 1 TB of stuff I had from my Old PC to the HDD in order to be able to re-transfer it to the NEW PC when it was done.

Most of the software transferred with no problems. I stopped scrapping pretty much most of 2023 - i needed a break.

I want to join in the 12 days of Xmas so I was looking things over to check that everything works, and remember what I have to do because I haven't scrapped for months. The last page I posted here was in August.

But now I find that my fonts dont seem to be working.

My Software shows a long list of fonts - but when I use them they are all identical - looks like roman type face.

Does anyone know what I need to do to "unlock" my fonts again?

I dont really want to have to go and download them all again. Most of these I found for free all over the net.

Thank you.

joyfulheartdesigns

Jenn :)
Designer
Back in May of 2023, my son built me a brand new PC - with brand new and faster hardware. This PC still uses Windows 10. I had a 2 TB external HDD and I spent weeks transferring the 1 TB of stuff I had from my Old PC to the HDD in order to be able to re-transfer it to the NEW PC when it was done.

Most of the software transferred with no problems. I stopped scrapping pretty much most of 2023 - i needed a break.

I want to join in the 12 days of Xmas so I was looking things over to check that everything works, and remember what I have to do because I haven't scrapped for months. The last page I posted here was in August.

But now I find that my fonts dont seem to be working.

My Software shows a long list of fonts - but when I use them they are all identical - looks like roman type face.

Does anyone know what I need to do to "unlock" my fonts again?

I dont really want to have to go and download them all again. Most of these I found for free all over the net.

Thank you.
What program are you using?

I did some Googling, and am not sure if either of these will help you, but if you tell me what graphics program you are using, I can do a more detailed Google search ;)

I found these two sites when I Googled "All fonts look the same in program Windows 10":

Robloz55

I am still using the free Paint Dot Net (https://www.getpaint.net) program.
It sadly does not use PSD files or clipping masks which are a bummer.

I do have the Affinity Suite (photos, publisher & designer) but its a steep learning curve to using those in my old age... and no manual to read either.

So I went looking in Windows Settings like you said and most of my fonts are simply not there. Just the basic ones that come with Windows 10. Looks like I may have to reinstall these fonts. :sad2: Thank Goodness pretty much all of them were free....

Thanks for your help. :)

joyfulheartdesigns

Designer
I am still using the free Paint Dot Net (https://www.getpaint.net) program.
It sadly does not use PSD files or clipping masks which are a bummer.

I do have the Affinity Suite (photos, publisher & designer) but its a steep learning curve to using those in my old age... and no manual to read either.

So I went looking in Windows Settings like you said and most of my fonts are simply not there. Just the basic ones that come with Windows 10. Looks like I may have to reinstall these fonts. :sad2: Thank Goodness pretty much all of them were free....

Thanks for your help. :)
Oh no, I am so sorry!! I know that is a lot of work...grrrr I did another Google search using Paint Dot Net in it, and I only came across people who were having issues with their fonts being there, but unusable because of an error. If you do not see your fonts in your Windows Explorer, then yeah, you will have to reinstall them :(

Do you happen to still have that external hard drive? If so, and all of your fonts are in one folder there, you should be able to select them all and then drag them into your Fonts folder in Windows Explorer and install them that way :heartpumpred:

Robloz55

Yes I do have the external HDD - but it looks like I did not transfer the fonts off the old C drive, because I didn't know I had too!!

I depend on my son and husband to know the technical stuff about computers and if it was not in my own personal folders then It probably was not transferred over.

The stuff that automatically gets saved whenever you download something (other than to the downloads file) most of those I have no idea where they are on the C Drive. :D

So sadly I will have to go looking around the net to find all these fonts again. But That's OK. I have plenty of time to do that. :D

Oh yeah - one of the new things that was downloaded to my new PC was a new copy of Windows 10 so of course it has just those fonts that come with the OS. DUH.

I do also remember having to do some searching just to find and download the classic (original) MS Paint program (and not the new fangled version that I did not like the look of). :)

Ok so downloading fonts is my task for the next few days!! It's my own fault that I left my fonts behind on the OLD PC. :D

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

joyfulheartdesigns

Designer
Yes I do have the external HDD - but it looks like I did not transfer the fonts off the old C drive, because I didn't know I had too!!

I depend on my son and husband to know the technical stuff about computers and if it was not in my own personal folders then It probably was not transferred over.

The stuff that automatically gets saved whenever you download something (other than to the downloads file) most of those I have no idea where they are on the C Drive. :D

So sadly I will have to go looking around the net to find all these fonts again. But That's OK. I have plenty of time to do that. :D

Oh yeah - one of the new things that was downloaded to my new PC was a new copy of Windows 10 so of course it has just those fonts that come with the OS. DUH.

I do also remember having to do some searching just to find and download the classic (original) MS Paint program (and not the new fangled version that I did not like the look of). :)

Ok so downloading fonts is my task for the next few days!! It's my own fault that I left my fonts behind on the OLD PC. :D

Thanks again for your help.
Gahhh!!! I know how you feel...I depend on my husband and oldest daughter to help me with the techie stuff, ESPECIALLY when it comes to changing computers...he usually just does it for me! LOL My latest computer has Windows 11...none of us are liking the changes that they made with this version...grrr But we are stuck with it...oh well :voodoodoll::giggle4: Good luck finding all of the fonts that you are missing! I am sorry that I couldn't find an easy fix for you!! :hug2:

Robloz55

That's OK.

This is not a total loss. The good news is that I did previously make lots of lists of fonts (txt pages) everytime I downloaded them as well as the sites they came from, so its not like I need to do any actual searching!! Those text lists were saved & moved to the new PC. So I can just go directly to the site and D/L them again. :D

joyfulheartdesigns

Designer
That's OK.

This is not a total loss. The good news is that I did previously make lots of lists of fonts (txt pages) everytime I downloaded them as well as the sites they came from, so its not like I need to do any actual searching!! Those text lists were saved & moved to the new PC. So I can just go directly to the site and D/L them again. :D
YAY!! Well that will make for a lot less leg work...well, finger work...LOL

Robloz55

Update - several hours later.

Well I have downloaded some 160 fonts - mostly the ones from my lists but also some new ones.

These are sitting in my downloads file.

Now I have to D/L each and everyone to the fonts folder - but that can wait until later.

The last day of Nov is a very busy day for me. Including a doctors appt.

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Robynne, I have been following your saga over the missing fonts. I am so sorry it happened... but so glad you had a list of fonts and where you got them from. What a pain. But glad to hear you you have found them and have them downloaded. Take a deep breath now that you have recovered them.

BTW, I love your siggy!!! Will be looking forward to see LOs from you.

joyfulheartdesigns

Designer
Update - several hours later.

Well I have downloaded some 160 fonts - mostly the ones from my lists but also some new ones.

These are sitting in my downloads file.

Now I have to D/L each and everyone to the fonts folder - but that can wait until later.

The last day of Nov is a very busy day for me. Including a doctors appt.
Woohoo!!! Hopefully you will be able to select them all at once and drag them into the fonts folder...I am not totally sure about that, though...I usually download stuff directly into the folder I want it to go into :)

I hope your doctor appointment goes well!

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Jenn, I can't download fonts directly where I want them to go. All downloads go into the Download file. I have a folder in my ExHD labeled FONTS which is where I move my fonts to. I want them saved there... not on my PC. Once I unzip them, I do an install of them into my PC.

Robynne, I would select may 20-30 fonts at a time in the downloads area and move them into where you want to save them. NOTE: on my computer Windows 10... when moving things into an ExHD, it leaves the file in the download area while copying them to the ExHD. If moving files inside the PC, it moves the files out of the Download file.

Robloz55

Thanks Kay for that helpful advice. Much Appreciated!! :)

I am about to head out to the doctors in the next half hour. The Fonts can wait.

Gotta buy some Bundles first!! :D

joyfulheartdesigns

Designer
Jenn, I can't download fonts directly where I want them to go. All downloads go into the Download file. I have a folder in my ExHD labeled FONTS which is where I move my fonts to. I want them saved there... not on my PC. Once I unzip them, I do an install of them into my PC.

Robynne, I would select may 20-30 fonts at a time in the downloads area and move them into where you want to save them. NOTE: on my computer Windows 10... when moving things into an ExHD, it leaves the file in the download area while copying them to the ExHD. If moving files inside the PC, it moves the files out of the Download file.
Huh...that is weird...I have never had that problem! When I choose to download something, I then choose the folder I want it to go into. I have my EHD connected to my PC, so when I download a file that I want saved on the EHD, I click the download link, the box pops up and I scroll down the listing of folders in the left side panel of the box until I get down to the very bottom where my EHD shows up, I choose my EHD, then I click through my folders in there to find the folder I want the zip to be saved in.

Robloz55

Jenn maybe that has to do with your EHD, and not the PC!!!
On the PC the download automatically goes to the download folder.
Not that I mind. At least I know where the Downloads folder is and how to get to it!! LOL

Anyway I am back from the doctor. I have not been to the doctor for a serious check up since before the pandemic - so close to 4 years now. I have a lot of appointments because I am getting older. I dont feel like I will be 60 next year. My mind does not feel like 60, but my body certainly does!! :)

joyfulheartdesigns

Designer
Jenn maybe that has to do with your EHD, and not the PC!!!
On the PC the download automatically goes to the download folder.
Not that I mind. At least I know where the Downloads folder is and how to get to it!! LOL

Anyway I am back from the doctor. I have not been to the doctor for a serious check up since before the pandemic - so close to 4 years now. I have a lot of appointments because I am getting older. I dont feel like I will be 60 next year. My mind does not feel like 60, but my body certainly does!! :)
No, it isn't the EHD, because even if I do not have it connected to my PC, it still gives me the option of where to save the file. I think it is actually a setting that you select, how you want your PC to behave when you download a file. My computers have always given me the option, and I think it is something that we chose in the settings. I can ask my husband if you guys would like to have the option to save to a specific folder :)

And I HEAR you on not feeling your age in your mind!! I hope all of your appointments go well...I need to do a general check up some day, as well. The only times I go to the doctor are for a specific problem, usually a sinus infection...ugh...lol

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
In that case, I would love to know what the settings are and how to change them. I would love to have that option. :D
My settings are in my browser, not the computer itself. I use Firefox, and in settings, I have a spot where I designated my downloads folder as the place to download files to. I see that there is a spot to check to ask every time. I never noticed that! I'm pretty sure Chrome has the same option.Screenshot 2023-11-30 192619.jpg

Robloz55

Gotcha. Thanks for the Screenshots. Those really do help. :D

I think I might just stick to my downloads file for now.

Otherwise I will get annoyed every single time I get asked - where do you want this go?

But I will keep the screen shots so that I know that I do have options.

joyfulheartdesigns

Designer
Gotcha. Thanks for the Screenshots. Those really do help. :D

I think I might just stick to my downloads file for now.

Otherwise I will get annoyed every single time I get asked - where do you want this go?

But I will keep the screen shots so that I know that I do have options.
You are very welcome!! :beatingheart: Yeah, I download a variety of things that DO need to go in different folders, so it doesn't bother me...lol :giggle4: