Oscraps

Time

Amandajk

I just returned from up North to visit my Dad in Alz. Hospice care. He has changed qucikly the past 4 weeks. I had four great visits with him where he was lucid, talking, and even joking a bit. He has been confined to a special chair. He no longer gets moved to his favorite recliner. To me that is horrible, I can't imagine having to lie in a chair for 8+ hours. He'd been sliding out of his wheel chair, so they got him the current one. He doesn't like it at all. That 's the only complaint I have because the home is fantastic. Such kind, respectful people. But I was sad to learn that just last Wednesday he is no longer allowed to use a toilet. That too is awful. I try not to think of it. Dad was a VERY active person: often working 2-3 jobs to support the family, an elder in the church, started 5 churches, and a Children's Home, played softball, basketball, and golf for decades. Now he sits. I know he is sad. The last day was Sunday. We went in the morning and he was tired. He wanted to sleep. We stayed less than half an hour. I told him I loved him and how much he means to me. I also said, "Its ok, Dad, go ahead and sleep." He did. We left. I felt at that moment that he was changing yet again. Today it was confirmed, they don't expect him to live beyond July. So thankful we went when we did. Alzheimer's is one of the world's worst diseases, so full of darkness. But the Lord gave us a gift of days of light. If you didn't know, the dragonfly is the symbol for Alz. I will make a page about it next week.

Last edited:

joyfulheartdesigns

Jenn :)
Designer
Oh no, I am SO very sorry, sweet Amanda...that is terrible that he has declined so quickly over the last 4 weeks :sad2::brokenheart: I am sure all of that was so difficult to witness, especially with him being such an active man all of his life and doing SO much good for his family and community! HUGE (((((HUGS))))) to you :hug1::grouphugyay::hug2::heartpumpred:

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Amanda, I'm SO sorry and almost in tears after reading your post. My mother and grandmother had this wretched disease, as you know, so I'm very familiar with the horrible affliction. It's just so awful and I won't share my deep feelings about this here - they probably don't agree with yours anyway. It's just an awful, awful thing and so horrible for those of us who love them to watch them go through. It's truly a "family disease" and is almost beyond any words I have here. Having recently lost my husband, who was in Hospice care, all i can offer is that Hospice is the most wonderful, loving, caring organization that I've ever been involved with. Lots of lots, hugs and prayers coming your way. This is just so difficult, my friend.:hug2::heartpumpred::praying2:

vickyday

Love my O Family!
CHEERY O
I just returned from up North to visit my Dad in Alz. Hospice care. He has changed qucikly the past 4 weeks. I had four great visits with him where he was lucid, talking, and even joking a bit. He has been confined to a special chair. He no longer gets moved to his favorite recliner. To me that is horrible, I can't imagine having to lie in a chair for 8+ hours. He'd been sliding out of his wheel chair, so they got him the current one. He doesn't like it at all. That 's the only complaint I have because the home is fantastic. Such kind, respectful people. But I was sad to learn that just last Wednesday he is no longer allowed to use a toilet. That too is awful. I try not to think of it. Dad was a VERY active person: often working 2-3 jobs to support the family, an elder in the church, started 5 churches and a Children's Home, played softball, basketball, and gold for decades. Now he sits. I know he is sad. The last day was Sunday. We went in the morning and he was tired. He wanted to sleep. We stayed less than half an hour. I told him I loved him and how much he means to me. I also said, "Its ok, Dad, go ahead and sleep." He did. We left. I felt at that moment that he was changing yet again. Today it was confirmed, they don't expect him to live beyond July. So thankful we went when we did. Alzheimer's is one of the world's worst diseases, so full of darkness. But the Lord gave us a gift of days of light. If you didn't know, the dragonfly is the symbol for Alz. I will make a page about it next week.
Amanda,
I feel your pain totally. My mom died of Alzheimer's. And I agree with you. It is the most horrible disease! I would never wish it on anyone! Praying for you and your family as you travel these last days with your precious father.
Your siggy is absolutely beautiful and the sentiment is spot on! You need to turn it into a wall hanging! :hug2: :lovey3::praying2:

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I'm so sorry that your family is going through this, but I am also happy that you got to spend quality time with your father. I don't have any personal experience with Alzheimer's, but it seems to me that towards the end it is the family who suffers the most, since the mind of the affected person has already gone elsewhere. I'm also glad he is being well cared for.

Amandajk

I'm so sorry that your family is going through this, but I am also happy that you got to spend quality time with your father. I don't have any personal experience with Alzheimer's, but it seems to me that towards the end it is the family who suffers the most, since the mind of the affected person has already gone elsewhere. I'm also glad he is being well cared for.
Thank you, @AZK, @bitzee , @vickyday ,@AK_Tracy , @Cherylndesigns ,@joyfulheartdesigns
I am "ready" for Dad to pass. He is well cared for there, but now is in the position he had verbalized years ago that he never wanted to be in- sitting waiting to die, and indignity without bodily control. :brokenheart: I don't want that, so I am praying he has the APD "transition" quickly. Then they will call the family in. His 90th birthday is July 23. I hope he goes before. He never wanted quantity, but quality.
It is good to share a bit, it is like a pressure valve release; so thank you - each of you.
iu
iu

mimes1

CHEERY O
Amanda, I've been through this recently with my mom. She passed in March, two weeks before her 96th birthday. She was in Hospice care, and it was a beautiful, loving moment when she went to be with our Lord. Even though you don't know it your recent heartfelt pages are helping me navigate through feelings of losing my mom. I'm thankful you have those memories with your dad and that you are such a strong advocate for him. Rest well knowing your dad knows how much he's loved. Big hugs to you. I'll be praying for you and your family.

Amandajk

Amanda, I've been through this recently with my mom. She passed in March, two weeks before her 96th birthday. She was in Hospice care, and it was a beautiful, loving moment when she went to be with our Lord. Even though you don't know it your recent heartfelt pages are helping me navigate through feelings of losing my mom. I'm thankful you have those memories with your dad and that you are such a strong advocate for him. Rest well knowing your dad knows how much he's loved. Big hugs to you. I'll be praying for you and your family.
Thank you, Amy. I am glad to hear the pages help someone.