Oscraps

Thanksgiving Meal Prep

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Last week I found out that I am hosting Thanksgiving at my house. I am absolutely fine with that, I'd rather have it here than have to drive to someone else's house. But I need some help with the meal prep, as in --I have to do as much as I can in advance.
I am not sure how many people are coming. It's somewhere between 8 and 15. The ages will be everything between 18 months to 85 years old. I have more than a few dietary restrictions on top of a tight budget restriction. That means I have to make most of the meals from scratch.

What kinds of sides can I make and freeze? I plan on making roasted acorn squash and mashed potatoes. I know better than freezing the potatoes but what do you think about the squash? Any other easy sides I can make? Stuffing should be ok? My mom's stuffing is freezable but I need to make vegan Pepperidge Farms stuffing for the people that can't eat hers.
Last-- what about desserts? I am making a vegan apple pie and hope to make pumpkin pie. Or maybe Pumpkin Crunch Cake is easier?
If you have ever made pie/pie crust from scratch and then froze it, does the crust get soggy?

I know, I have a million questions so I appreciate any cooking tips you can share!

vickyday

Love my O Family!
CHEERY O
I would think you could fix the squash but not cook it completely done. Thaw completely before finishing the cooking.
Pies I can't help you with.

joyfulheartdesigns

Jenn :)
Designer
Wow...that is quite the age spread there!! lol Sounds like it will be a wonderful family event :beatingheart: I always do green bean casserole, and I think if you were to make it ahead of time, but leave off the french fried onions topping, then heat it up in the microwave and pop the onions on top, then into the oven for 5 minutes to toast the onions, that would work!

I am planning to try a new dessert, this year...Marshmallow Pumpkin Pie :) I enjoy watching Mandy in the Making on YouTube, and she posted a video about four new recipes that she was considering making for Thanksgiving this year, and she likes this pie....hopefully my peeps will, as well! She also did say that she thought this might be yummy in an Oreo cookies premade pie dish, as well! https://togetherasfamily.com/no-bake-marshmallow-pumpkin-pie

Crock pots are my BFF's with a lot of stuff....I try to make my mashed potatoes first thing in the morning, after breakfast is done, and after they are made, I transfer them to a crockpot and keep on low. I can't think of any other things, right now, still planning out what all we will have here! I wil let you know what I find out about freezing stuff :heartpumpred:

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I don't know about freezing ahead, but Greenbean Casserole and corn casseroles can totally be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge. They're family favorites of ours. We always peeled our potatoes a day ahead and used to keep them covered with water and in the garage for a day ahead. I know some people might grimmace at this, but that's what we did. It was cold enough at the end of November, so that was a good "holding spot". I'm sure you could make sweet potatoes ahead too. I'm all for whatever can be made ahead.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I would think you could fix the squash but not cook it completely done. Thaw completely before finishing the cooking.
Pies I can't help you with.
Thanks! The squash will get all mashed up after it's roasted so that should work well.
Wow...that is quite the age spread there!! lol Sounds like it will be a wonderful family event :beatingheart: I always do green bean casserole, and I think if you were to make it ahead of time, but leave off the french fried onions topping, then heat it up in the microwave and pop the onions on top, then into the oven for 5 minutes to toast the onions, that would work!

I am planning to try a new dessert, this year...Marshmallow Pumpkin Pie :) I enjoy watching Mandy in the Making on YouTube, and she posted a video about four new recipes that she was considering making for Thanksgiving this year, and she likes this pie....hopefully my peeps will, as well! She also did say that she thought this might be yummy in an Oreo cookies premade pie dish, as well! https://togetherasfamily.com/no-bake-marshmallow-pumpkin-pie

Crock pots are my BFF's with a lot of stuff....I try to make my mashed potatoes first thing in the morning, after breakfast is done, and after they are made, I transfer them to a crockpot and keep on low. I can't think of any other things, right now, still planning out what all we will have here! I wil let you know what I find out about freezing stuff :heartpumpred:
That pumpkin marshmallow pie looks light and fluffy! I can't make that-- marshmallows aren't vegetarian-and I *know* that I would end up eating the entire thing myself hahah! LMK how it comes out.
Thank you for the crock pot tips. I have done that before with mashed potatoes and it had slipped my mind. Scott's GF has a 3-section crockpot. I'll ask her if I can borrow it and keep the acorn squash and maybe another veggie in it. I'll need to make something low sodium for my parents so maybe plain corn.

I don't know about freezing ahead, but Greenbean Casserole and corn casseroles can totally be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge. They're family favorites of ours. We always peeled our potatoes a day ahead and used to keep them covered with water and in the garage for a day ahead. I know some people might grimmace at this, but that's what we did. It was cold enough at the end of November, so that was a good "holding spot". I'm sure you could make sweet potatoes ahead too. I'm all for whatever can be made ahead.
I don't have a garage and I wouldn't trust leaving anty food outside with the bears potentially coming around :D But I will peel them early in the day and let them sit in the fridge on on the counter in cold water.

My pro-tip: Yukon Golds over russet potatoes. They make the *best* mashed potatoes

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Oh Jenn-- thank you again for sharing the recipe. As I was reading over it, it mentioned Cool Whip/ whipped cream. I totally forgot that I bought vegan whipping cream a few weeks ago and it got shoved in the back of my fridge! Out of sight out of mind. I am so glad that I remembered that it was there!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Thankfully, my mom is making the turkey because I won't touch one. She'll also make her stuffing. Sam will bring something. Last year she brought her grandma's carrot recipe. (I just realized that I didn't ask Sam if her Grandma wanted to come too, that she is welcome. I had to take a break to text Sam right now LOL). Since the rest of the invitees are up in the air -- Sams's sister is pregnant and is way ready to pop- I don't want to rely on too much outside help. BTDT when I had a party with last-minute cancellations and missed the food as much as the people. :p

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Thankfully, my mom is making the turkey because I won't touch one. She'll also make her stuffing. Sam will bring something. Last year she brought her grandma's carrot recipe. (I just realized that I didn't ask Sam if her Grandma wanted to come too, that she is welcome. I had to take a break to text Sam right now LOL). Since the rest of the invitees are up in the air -- Sams's sister is pregnant and is way ready to pop- I don't want to rely on too much outside help. BTDT when I had a party with last-minute cancellations and missed the food as much as the people. :p
I won't touch one either - if I ever HAD to touch a chicken, I put on plastic gloves. :floorlaugh:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Cheryl, on the very few occasions I would cook a chicken, I would have to take breaks preparing it because I would be gagging so much. :sick:

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
Can I jump in on your thread? I have to make a vegetable dish and my SIL is already making the green bean casserole (puke - LOL but my FIL loves it).

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
I usually love baking a big turkey, huge pan of dressing, giblet gravy, sweet potato casserole, and pumpkin pie. But it is not to be this year due to problems with my hands/back. I will miss having the leftovers but know it is best to scale back. I will be baking a pumpkin pie on Wednesday. Sister called today to let me know she is bringing 2 different cranberry dishes. One is cranberry and fresh orange with nuts relish. The second one is cranberry with celery and nuts. She made them for different 2 potluck dinners and had lots of leftovers. She has popped them in the freezer and will bring over when she comes.

Can I jump in on your thread? I have to make a vegetable dish and my SIL is already making the green bean casserole (puke - LOL but my FIL loves it).
I make a sweet potato casserole. And it can be assembled the day before and put in fridge until about an hour before dinner
The flavor is similar to pumpkin pie.

2-3 fresh cooked sweet potatoes or
1 large can of sweet potatoes
Small can of crushed pineapple
3 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spices or
your own mixture of spices
1/4 cup of sugar (if you like it sweet)

Drain pineapple - reserve juice
Mash sweet potatoes
Add 1/2 to 3/4 of pineapple juice - but don't make it juicy - just moist
mix in spices and sugar
add pineapple and stir well
Adjust seasoning to your liking

Place in a round deep casserole dish
Bake in 350* oven for about 25 minutes

This is delicious when heated up as a 2nd or 3rd day leftovers

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
I usually love baking a big turkey, huge pan of dressing, giblet gravy, sweet potato casserole, and pumpkin pie. But it is not to be this year due to problems with my hands/back. I will miss having the leftovers but know it is best to scale back. I will be baking a pumpkin pie on Wednesday. Sister called today to let me know she is bringing 2 different cranberry dishes. One is cranberry and fresh orange with nuts relish. The second one is cranberry with celery and nuts. She made them for different 2 potluck dinners and had lots of leftovers. She has popped them in the freezer and will bring over when she comes.

I make a sweet potato casserole. And it can be assembled the day before and put in fridge until about an hour before dinner
The flavor is similar to pumpkin pie.

2-3 fresh cooked sweet potatoes or
1 large can of sweet potatoes
Small can of crushed pineapple
3 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spices or
your own mixture of spices
1/4 cup of sugar (if you like it sweet)

Drain pineapple - reserve juice
Mash sweet potatoes
Add 1/2 to 3/4 of pineapple juice - but don't make it juicy - just moist
mix in spices and sugar
add pineapple and stir well
Adjust seasoning to your liking

Place in a round deep casserole dish
Bake in 350* oven for about 25 minutes

This is delicious when heated up as a 2nd or 3rd day leftovers

That sounds great but my SIL is making sweet potatoes already. Putting that in the pile for next year tho!!!!!

joyfulheartdesigns

Jenn :)
Designer
Susie, my family LOVES this recipe, I made it again, just the other day...I will link you to my own Google Drive link here....it really IS delicious! And you will see that I do add some extra broccoli, I feel like it is so creamy, that the extra broccoli works well, and I really like having some different sized pieces of broccoli, chopping up the broccoli both larger and smaller. I use the Birds Eye frozen broccoli, thaw it in the microwave, then chop it up. This is a super easy and delicious veggie casserole :heartpumpred:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
@pachimac Any new ideas on the veggie dish to make?
Jenn's broccoli casserole sounds very good. Just saved it to my Recipe folder. :)

Yesterday I worked on vegan dishes- I made mashed acorn squash (roasted the seed too MMM-mmm!), stuffing, and pie crust for the apple pie. Everything is in the freezer.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Do you like carrots, Susie? DS adores the Cracker Barrel carrots. I happened to see a copycat recipe and sent it to him a few weeks ago. I can try to find it again, if you like

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Been googling to try and find some new things to add to our Christmas dinner, and here are two recipies I'm thinking of trying:

And here's a favorite from the Swedish "Julbord" (literally Christmas Table - the buffet we serve on Christmas Eve)

tanteva

Maybe not that traditional. but I might add these:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Those recipes sound awesome, Eva. I love roasted cauliflower so I clicked that link first. Then I started to read the ingredients and I wondered if I could swap lentils with quinoa. Then I would have to leave out the olives. Then the apricots. So I guess after all that I would just have cauliflower LOL!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Dang!! I am not a fan of carrots but that looks amazing!
I bookmarked the recipe because I want to try it at some point. I never heard of dukkah but the combination of flavors and spices, mmmmm-- *drooling over here*
Scott loves the Cracker Barrel carrots (butter and brown sugar) so I am making them with vegan butter and sugar. I won't bother wasting room in my stomach on them LOL

tanteva

Dang!! I am not a fan of carrots but that looks amazing!
I bookmarked the recipe because I want to try it at some point. I never heard of dukkah but the combination of flavors and spices, mmmmm-- *drooling over here*
Scott loves the Cracker Barrel carrots (butter and brown sugar) so I am making them with vegan butter and sugar. I won't bother wasting room in my stomach on them LOL

I would use the brittle on any other veggie you prefer. Just adjust the time to match chosen veggie.