Oscraps

Taika Waititi Fans: Our Flag Means Death

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I don't think there is a Waititi show that I haven't LMBO at. I happened upon Our Flag Means Death by scrolling on Social Media and seeing a post about why this show hadn't gotten the same buzz as many of his other shows. To that, I ask-- Yeah, why???
We finished Season One last night and while it was not as funny as What We Do In The Shadows, it was 100% laugh-out-loud funny. I love the quirky humor in all of Taika Waititi's shows and this one sure is quirky. It is about a Gentleman "Pirate" who meets up and forms a friendship with Blackbeard. His crew is also quirky.

It is on HBO Max if you are looking for it.

BTW-- I am waiting anxiously for the new season of WWDITS-- any fans here?

zanthia

CHEERY O
I watched it when i had HBO, i actually was expecting it to be better but i did like it.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I haven't heard of this one. I'll bet Braxton would love it. AAAARRRRGGGG Put a pirate patch on that guy!!

Lynn Grieveson

Designer
Designer
Big Taika fan here, and he is a VERY cool dude. Rhys is hilarious too. And WWDITS is one of our favorite shows. It was great to see that although they changed the setting to the States and it was a much glossier production, they very much kept the feel of the original movie - which was set right here where I live in Wellington (NZ)! It's hilarious watching that and also Wellington Paranormal. It's all very much typical New Zealand humour and p*** taking too. ;)

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Big Taika fan here, and he is a VERY cool dude. Rhys is hilarious too. And WWDITS is one of our favorite shows. It was great to see that although they changed the setting to the States and it was a much glossier production, they very much kept the feel of the original movie - which was set right here where I live in Wellington (NZ)! It's hilarious watching that and also Wellington Paranormal. It's all very much typical New Zealand humour and p*** taking too. ;)
Wellington P is a TRIP!! We had a VPN and watched the first three (?) seasons with that. We also loved the NZ commercials-- BBQs on Christmas and Kiwi Electic LOL
We are waiting for the last season of Wellington to hit the US.

Have you seen the "pilot" movie of WWDITS? I think it is on YouTube. It has the basics of the movie and show but you can tell it was very low budget- still hysterical though

LazyDaisy

I’m part Aussie & part kiwi & love nz humour & love the how they always make the Australians the worse. I live in AU & love it. I thought if you go back in time to FX show 2007 Flight of the Conchords (TV Series 2007‑2009). Taika does write & direct & few episodes. I thought I’d see if anyone else has watched this & say hi to you Lynn. Rhys is always great & I remember he was in a lot of ads on tv in NZ always writing minutes or something for meetings. Doesn’t sound funny if you haven’t seen Concords but I’m sure you saw the ads.

I’m also a huge fan of Rhys, Brett & Germaine as well. I did like the duo as stand up before the show. Wellington Paranormal is great & the line “it’s not the heat, it’s the humidity” from a supernatural entity because of what the station was built on killed me. Lynn I hope you can understand something I wrote. I’m trying not to spoil anything.

So I recommend the show FOTC I mentioned to all nz humour fans. They are all connected comedians/actors/writers/directors. I don’t know how they do so much. Especial Taika.