Oscraps

PSE vs CS

Do you prefer Photoshop Creative Suite or Elements?

• Elements

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Creative Suite

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Both

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Either work just as well

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
So, I currently have Creative Suite 2 I think and I have started thinking lately that it may be more program than I need but it is all I know. So, I would like to hear from those of you that have used one or the other and especially both to see what your thoughts are about them.

The things I am specifically wondering about is time, actions, layers, and anything else you may feel is important. Thanks guys.

Cat

O' whip cracker whip
Well I am a convert to CS2 from PSE I journalled my transition in my blog because I had a hard time making the switch, having installed and uninstalled CS2 more than 3 times!

I now love CS2, there is so much more CS2 has the PSE doesnt have. The main thing is actions, I love photo actions and particularly Amanda's (Taylormade) Her actions and others like the pioneer woman are fabulous but they are not compatiable to PSE. I also love working paths, be it through brush work on text, the option is not available in PSE.

I dont use PSE anymore for scrapping, the one thing I did miss when I was making the transition was the photo bin, but I am now past that LOL, the only thing I use PSE for is for my organising my photos now.

stephie

elements is just a small mini version of CS2. ACtions are harder to use in PSE, but isn't impossible. I own CS3 and PSE5 only because I had Elements first and got CS3 as an addition to my photography business. I needed to mass edit things in RAW. and More actions, and stuff.

N

NewAdmin

yep... i totally second everything that has been said. CS seems VERY overwhelming when you first start using it... and i had the same thought when i converted... that it was too much program. but i assure you... if you have it... keep it and keep learning. there are things that program can do that i go and FIND uses for. hahahaha. didn't think i needed them until i knew they were there. now i can't live without them. lol. it's a GREAT program... it really is.

PLUS... most designers use that program, so your chances of compatibility with whatever is released is much better... be it actions or brushes or whatever. :)

mei74

clara - i have pse at home and that is what i started with. at work, i now have cs, and wow! So much to learn but also really cool. i still do like my pse because i know it so well, but i like learning about cs now too.

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
Good to know. Even after using it for a year i feel like there is still so much to learn and so much t hat I don't use but then I will randomly find something and be like "Wher have you been all my life."

N

NewAdmin

"Where have you been all my life." bahahahaahah. that's funny clara. lol. and i TOTALLY know what you mean. i've been using it for almost 2 years and i STILL find stuff like that. lol

petey111

Uh...yeah...ditto everything everyone said. I started with PSE6 on my PC. Got my Mac laptop and put PSE 6 on there. But it also came with CS3. I scrap in PSE more. There's just some little things that I wasn't used to on CS3 that slowed me down. Transforming layers was an extra key stroke and accepting the transformation was another key stroke. Just little things. But I use it when I want to do something with actions that others have created and texts on paths.

~*Lainebean*~

yep, same as everyone! I have pse 6 and my mom has CS2, so when i scrap on her comp (very rarely, HA!) I use her CS2... I love the actions but i miss the photo bin!! And it was weird how the shortcut keys were different! I havent used it enough to really discover/understand anything different besides that :)

katg1006

It was an adjustment to go from PSE to CS2 at first...but I love it :) I am definitely a CS2 fan :)

N

NewAdmin

Uh...yeah...ditto everything everyone said. I started with PSE6 on my PC. Got my Mac laptop and put PSE 6 on there. But it also came with CS3. I scrap in PSE more. There's just some little things that I wasn't used to on CS3 that slowed me down. Transforming layers was an extra key stroke and accepting the transformation was another key stroke. Just little things. But I use it when I want to do something with actions that others have created and texts on paths.

hey... just curious... when you say "transforming layers" ... what do mean?

t_a_l_i

I use PSE7. I don't think I'll probably ever be in the position to upgrade to CS2 or anything like that.

I love PSE. But ... I would kill for more action possibilities. I know how to install them, but there aren't many that are compatible with PSE and that is a huge bummer!

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
I voted PSE because I only have PSE5 (and love it).

I checked for prices and CS4 costs 1000 euro's and there's even a version for almost 1500 euro's. PSE is about 100 euro's. I read that some of you said "it came with my computer", so I guess if I wanted to change I'd be better of getting a new computer with CS on it!

snappy2003

I just got CS4 for Christmas but am used to using PSE6. What I've been doing is using PSE for my layouts and CS4 to edit my photos. I figure I'll start slow and work my way up :). My DS got me a book to help learn it but I haven't cracked it open yet, I wonder if there's a book geared towards scrappers....hmm...

Anyhow, that's where I stand, it's very powerful and I imagine I'll get there it'll just take time. It took me a long time to move from DIP to PSE as well.

N

NewAdmin

I just got CS4 for Christmas but am used to using PSE6. What I've been doing is using PSE for my layouts and CS4 to edit my photos. I figure I'll start slow and work my way up :). My DS got me a book to help learn it but I haven't cracked it open yet, I wonder if there's a book geared towards scrappers....hmm...

Anyhow, that's where I stand, it's very powerful and I imagine I'll get there it'll just take time. It took me a long time to move from DIP to PSE as well.

i haven't found a photoshop book yet that's geared toward scrappers. :( but i do know where you can find some tutorials. :) heheheeh

www.taylormade-designs.net

petey111

hey... just curious... when you say "transforming layers" ... what do mean?

On my version of CS3 on my Mac when I want to resize something, I have to click on the layer in the layers palete (which isn't always easy to see which layer I want) then hit cmmnd + T, resize, then hit return to accept the resizing. Maybe there's some preferences that will shorten some of that for me, but that's the kind of thing that I didn't want to spend time on since I had PSE at my disposal too. =) :D

If I took the time to learn it, I might like it better. But I'm too lazy to take the time to learn it. :D

N

NewAdmin

On my version of CS3 on my Mac when I want to resize something, I have to click on the layer in the layers palete (which isn't always easy to see which layer I want) then hit cmmnd + T, resize, then hit return to accept the resizing. Maybe there's some preferences that will shorten some of that for me, but that's the kind of thing that I didn't want to spend time on since I had PSE at my disposal too. =) :D

If I took the time to learn it, I might like it better. But I'm too lazy to take the time to learn it. :D

ahhh... gotcha. maybe this will help. not sure how different it is with a mac, but it might do the trick. ;)

Checking these boxes should allow you to simply click on the element or photo right on the layout. when you click on it, your transform controls should automatically appear. ;) also... in your layers palette, open a new document and then right-click underneath the layer... this should give you options to change the size of your layers so they are easier to see. ;)

easytransforming.jpg

hope this helps. :) xoxo

petey111

Aha! Excellent tips. Thank you very much! Bite-sized pieces of info will get me there eventually. =)

Bobbi

i haven't found a photoshop book yet that's geared toward scrappers. :( but i do know where you can find some tutorials. :) heheheeh

www.taylormade-designs.net

Thanks Amanda! I got CS4 for Christmas. I have it loaded, but haven't attempted a layout yet. My comfort level is still with PSE5. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions along my journey of learning.