Oscraps

Project 52 Stopper!!!

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
Let me preface by saying that I love Apple products, and will never switch, but right now I am so steamed at them! They changed iPhoto to a new program Photos, and in doing so, along with their new iOS on the phones, changed the naming nomenclature. I went to do an update, and I pulled out my library and backed it up. I double-checked that it was there, and then did my OS update on my desktop. Somehow, when I went back to drag my photos back into the hard drive, all my photos from June to the end of August are GONE. And I mean GONE. I checked the backups. BOTH of them. I checked the trash because sometimes it will toss things in the trash but not empty it. Nope.

SOOOO - my dilemma is that I am using Templates that are two pagers with anywhere from 10-14 pictures for each week. I don't have even HALF that amount of pictures. It will look funny to change templates for a few months, and then go back to the regular ones, but what do I fill it with?? I can't put my favorite scrap pages and memes for 3 months!

What would you do?

Last edited:

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
I’m confused by this, Susan. It’s been 7 years since iPhotos switched to Photos. I’ve seen no change in any nomenclature - what exactly do you mean by that? All of my photo stream is stored in (and backed up to) iCloud and synched across all devices and I haven’t lost any photos in any update. There hasn’t been an OS update to Macs (other than minor security updates) since last year.

There must be something else happening … what am I missing?

pachimac

CHEERY O
I’m confused by this, Susan. It’s been 7 years since iPhotos switched to Photos. I’ve seen no change in any nomenclature - what exactly do you mean by that? All of my photo stream is stored in (and backed up to) iCloud and synched across all devices and I haven’t lost any photos in any update. There hasn’t been an OS update to Macs (other than minor security updates) since last year.

There must be something else happening … what am I missing?
My Photos have been changed in the last OS update my computer could do - we went up to Big Sur and I was a very very late adaptor, so it may have been years, but I only upgraded now because some issues with Photoshop were finally fixed in Big Sur. . With that OS, apparently they changed the naming system of the photos in the iPhoto library, and added the HEIC file format, which I stopped using because it wouldn't download from my phone. You won't know or notice this unless you try to get your originals from the iPhoto library itself and not the Photos browser. This is what my iPhoto library looks like now:

When I go to get my original photos, they are now thrown into a numbered file. When I click on that file, I get a bunch of pictures but they are not in order or by day, month, or year. They are all thrown in there haphazardly and the files are no longer named "IMG 4593" but this long string of numbers. Nothing is chronological nor is it named the same. This happened to me when I updated to Mac OS Big Sur. It may be a coincidence, and something else might have happened, but on the Apple genius forums, many users were complaining about the same issue and the fact that they no longer are naming their files with the IMG tag and that they are not keeping them chronological. You can see them that way in the Photos browser, but if you go to your files and click on iPhoto library and do "Show Package Contents" to get the full-sized originals, you get this mess!!

Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 1.32.56 PM.png

So not only did this happen, but after combing through hundreds of files by sorting them by date created, all of the photos from June to end of August are gone.

Last edited:

Vicki Robinson

Designer
Ok … what is the parent folder of what’s in that print screen? I’m trying to find the same folder on my Mac. Also, when you click on that little group icon (the two rows of little squares) and choose by date does that not put them in sequential order?

Vicki Robinson

Designer
Ok I found that same directory — but that's not meant to be the way you access your photos. It's the operating system's internal organization. Is there a reason you are not accessing them through the Photos app itself, which automatically sorts by year, month, etc.

pachimac

CHEERY O
Ok … what is the parent folder of what’s in that print screen? I’m trying to find the same folder on my Mac. Also, when you click on that little group icon (the two rows of little squares) and choose by date does that not put them in sequential order?
It puts it in sequential order, however, in each numbered file folder, it throws a little bit of each date in each folder. Let me take a video clip for you. It's hard to describe in words.

Hard drive --> Users __> Your user name --> Pictures --> iPhoto library. Right click and say "Show package Contents" and then click on originals.

I'll try and get a video of the other part of the question

pachimac

CHEERY O
Ok I found that same directory — but that's not meant to be the way you access your photos. It's the operating system's internal organization. Is there a reason you are not accessing them through the Photos app itself, which automatically sorts by year, month, etc.

I am using the file browser to look at my photos. That's not the issue. It's backing them up on a different hard drive and then trying to access them through that hard drive. It is where the originals are kept, and where I pull them from to my backup. They used to be set up by year, month, and day, and all pictures taken on that year, month, day are in one folder. The file tree is:

2022 --> 10 --> 1--> and all your pictures taken on 10-1-22 would be in one folder with each file named sequentially IMG 1, IMG 2, etc...

I back them up and then take them out of the iPhoto library and keep them all on another hard drive. I ran into a photo limit using the browser.

pachimac

CHEERY O
This is how the originals used to be:
Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 2.18.44 PM.png

This is my back up from previous years. This shows me 2003-->July --> 22nd and it's easy to find the date and know what pictures are there. That is no longer an option.

pachimac

CHEERY O
Tonight is date night - so I'll try to get a video tomorrow - but in the mean time - what would you do to fill the pages of your Project 52??

Vicki Robinson

Designer
So it sounds like a different problem that what you moved to your other hard drive wasn’t backed up?

I’d probably either start a new template set where the lack of photos started, or fill in with notes of what was happening, layouts or even sad faces. Bummer

pachimac

CHEERY O
So it sounds like a different problem that what you moved to your other hard drive wasn’t backed up.

that’s the thing tho - they were backed up. My program pulls it all out. I checked to make sure it was done.

I guess point is that I need to stop complaining at the renaming of my photos and just move on. I am going to use Lightroom as my browser now. It will name them the way and keep them the way my back up used to do.

The photos are gone, regardless of how it happened. :(

Sounds like I need to do a lot of journaling on those pages!! LoL