Oscraps

Photoshop CC - Have You Tried It

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I currently have Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 4. I am thinking of getting the photographers subscription of Creative Cloud that includes Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5. Have any of you tried Photoshop CC? Do you like it? Do you think the upgrade was worth it?

Rikki

I upgraded from having CS2 and no Lightroom and have not regretted it at all. Of course I didn't have LR before and now I use it for organizing my digi supplies and photos and that alone was worth the switch. Plus, I came from a very old PS version, so that was great as well.
I think for the price of the photography plan you can't go wrong.

Then again, I don't know whether the difference would be so great from CS4 and LR4, but seeing that they constantly add new features to CC it might still be a good idea to upgrade.

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
Since you asked, I'll give you my opinion ... you may be sorry! :)

Kicking and screaming last year, I got the Photoshop/LR plan when it was offered - because I usually upgrade both every other year and, for at least the next couple of years (until Adobe raises the cost of the subscription), it was going to be more economical. However, the idea of renting software really .... frosts my cookies ... and I have kept my CS6 installed in case I decide to stop the subscription.

One of the biggest issues with the subscription is that when you stop paying you lose the software. So depending on the kind of upgrades they make to CC along the way, your PSD files may not be compatible with the older licensed version you previously purchased.

As designers, some of us probably use a few more features of Photoshop than the average scrapper/art journaler, but the reality is we don't even scratch the surface of what Photoshop can do. It's a bit like buying an elaborate countertop oven that can bake, roast, broil, toast, convection bake and microwave, but only using it to make toast. Way overkill for what we need but very impressive to own.

I feel that as consumers (me included) we've bought into the notion that we must have the latest and greatest - I'm a poster-child for that because I probably have (or have had) every tech gadget ever invented. So the idea of having the software constantly upgraded under the subscription is very appealing. If I'm being very honest though, I would have to say that the upgrades to the CC since I started the subscription have had almost no impact on how I use Photoshop. Most of the upgrades are geared towards graphics people working in completely different industries and environments. There have been one or two "nice to have" improvements, but so far nothing at all that affects our industry. (The same is true for LR upgrades.)

Additionally, as the software gets more and more sophisticated, it takes a more and more sophisticated (and therefore expensive) computer to be able to run the software efficiently. I'm quite technical and know all the tricks to tweak Photoshop and my iMac to get it to perform optimally, but there are still times I want to pull my hair out just trying to save a PSD or switching to the Type Tool.

Frankly, I think the biggest improvements in Adobe software have been to Photoshop Elements. I started using PSE 2 and have purchased every version up until 11 and the upgrades have been amazing. As a designer, I need more control over layer manipulations (more extensive layer style control, for example), but if I were just starting out and comparing the value between the two programs for how I use them for, PSE would win hands down.

There are probably only a small handful of useful upgrades from CS5 to the current CC version and practically nothing from LR4 to the CC version. So the questions to ask yourself, are what is it that you can't do now that you need to be able to do and how old is your current computer (how fast, how much RAM, etc.).

Of course, this is just my opinion - so sorry to go on so long - but hopefully this gives you some food for thought.

Rikki

Vicki, you are probably right with everything you say.
In my case I had considered upgrading simply because a lot of actions, plugins and what not would not even work in my version of CS2 anymore, otherwise I might not have upgraded at all.
In fact, if someone wanted to start scrapping I would point them to the free CS2 that can be downloaded from Adobe now (or at least it could some time ago).
So maybe the switch from CS4 would not be as groundbreaking and not worth it?

Vicki Robinson

Designer
Rikki - if i recall, the changes from CS2 to CS4 were tremendous and definitely worthwhile. If you can go from CS2 to CS4, CS5 or CS6, I would definitely do that. If you have CS4 now and are thinking about going to CC, I guess my opinion would be that while there are some improvements WE care about from CS4 to CC (content aware fill is the big one i can think of ), it would be cheaper to buy a copy of PSE 12 (13 should be out later this year if they keep on their usual schedule) and use it when you need it.

Again, just my opinion - you need to do what works best for you. It's just the Creative Cloud subscription model that frustrates me for our particular industry and/or hobby.

Vicki, you are probably right with everything you say.
In my case I had considered upgrading simply because a lot of actions, plugins and what not would not even work in my version of CS2 anymore, otherwise I might not have upgraded at all.
In fact, if someone wanted to start scrapping I would point them to the free CS2 that can be downloaded from Adobe now (or at least it could some time ago).
So maybe the switch from CS4 would not be as groundbreaking and not worth it?

ptabbert

"Again, just my opinion - you need to do what works best for you. It's just the Creative Cloud subscription model that frustrates me for our particular industry and/or hobby." Unfortunately, Vicki, I think this is the wave of the future in all software. I also finally purchased the subscription because I seemed to be purchasing every upgrade offered and at least for a year or two it was pretty much the same cost. I still have cd versions of PSCS3, 4, and 5 but because of the changes in operating systems they will eventually not work if you need to purchase a computer with a newer operating system.

Vicki Robinson

Designer
Completely agree with you! It's just a matter of using the right software for what you need to do - and can afford. Personally, I think there is a mis-conception that using a full version of Photoshop is important. Now that I have had years and years of experience in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, I realize that Photoshop it truly is overkill for the average user - scrappers/journalers, included. I'm amongst those who fell into that trap before I started designing. But I don't want to offend anyone - this is, of course, just my opinion!

Unfortunately, Vicki, I think this is the wave of the future in all software. I also finally purchased the subscription because I seemed to be purchasing every upgrade offered and at least for a year or two it was pretty much the same cost. I still have cd versions of PSCS3, 4, and 5 but because of the changes in operating systems they will eventually not work if you need to purchase a computer with a newer operating system.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmyG

I have it and I love it. I also love PSE 12, minus the whole dragging elements in and them resizing bug. Man, that is irritating. Anyhoo, I'm very happy with it. I'm still learning it though. I upgrade computers often enough that I have no problem running it on my desktop (RIP as of this week) or my laptop. I love learning a new program! Like Vicki said, I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do. It's very powerful. Lots to learn! Try the 30 day trial and see how you like it and then make a decision.

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
Vicki, I definitely wanted the truth. I'm like you. Very tech oriented and always wanting the latest and greatest. So I am easily tempted.

I used Gimp for years. Loved it more than PSE, but when I switched from Windows to Mac at the end of 2011, Gimp didn't play nice with the Mac. (This is no longer an issue.) We got a great deal on the web premium suite for my DH and I've been in love with Photoshop ever since.

Thanks to this discussion, I think I'll get the trial and see where it leads.

Romy

For the reasons Vicki listed, I refused to get onboard with the subscription model. I have a suite with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesigns and Dreamweaver (and LR on top of that). Paying the subscription for all of these - subscription which no one knows how high it will go up afterwards - would be crazy.

Like Vicki said, for crafters, scrapbooking designer it makes no sense to stay up to date.

When Adobe announced the model I upgraded from CS5.1 to CS6 and I plan to leave it this way for years.