Oscraps

NBK Design Technique Challenge Feb 5 - 18 2018

margje

The O is awesOme
Welcome to the NBK Design Technique Challenge!

I love to make clippingmasks from all kinds of products. Lets focus for this challenge on making clippingmasks from Magic Lights. I love them for their shapes but also its a great way to color your images at the same time with the use of a blendingmode.
Let me walk you through the proces and give you some tips with my screenshots as an example.

caCw3KB.jpg

Here is the photo I want to work with. I already turned it to Black and White and used some Artistic Filters on it. I also gave it a lot of contrast. I know that the colors of my Magic Lights blend perfectly in this way. This effect works much better on Black and White photo’s.

7QCY881.jpg

I made a new document for my layout and I placed the photo. I always make a duplicate of the photo incase I want to use the same photo again and to have it on the same spot. I also opened the Magic Lights I want to work with.

U98yA4q.jpg

I duplicated the Magic Light also and filled it with black to make it my clippingmask. (If it is very transparent, you can duplicate it, and then merge it, to get it less transparent.)

AJ0JW0y.jpg

I placed my copy photolayer above the mask that I made from the Magic Lights. I made a clippingmask.

zH4keDL.jpg

As you can see the magic lights under the clipped photo give some color! Depending on your photo and Magic Lights, and the result you are after you have many options to finish your image. You can place your Magic Lights layer above the clippingmask layer and go through the different Blendmodes to see the results.

9rTIMnX.jpg

After you find something interesting that you want to keep you can place your layers in a group,or link them together,because merging them can change the whole effect.
You can duplicate that group and use Blendmodes or use that photo you had duplicated to mask parts back in. And you can also mask parts out in the face that you don't want. You can also change the colors. Use your creativity to finish this layout with lots of other products.
Here is my final page!

And here is some inspiration from our talented CT

By Anika:

technik600wlqhp.jpg

By Trish:

Technical-Challenge.jpg

By Marie-Claire

2018_038.jpg

Prize: You can win a 4 $ coupon to the NBK Design store

Rules:
• Layouts need to have some Magic Lights used as Clippingmask.
• Layouts need to contain some NBK Design products.
• Layouts need to be uploaded to NBK GALLERY by Sunday February 18 2018
• Layouts need to be linked back to this thread by Sunday February 18, 2018
• Feel free to add to the the Artology facebook page. If you aren't a member, ask to join and we will add you!
• Have fun!

You can find many Magic Lights in NBK Designs Collections.

Last edited by a moderator:

nobles

Ursula
Thank you for this technique challenge Margje, and how to do it.

I loved trying this technique. This time the page doesn't show one of my dogs. Due to the colours, this guy looks a little bit sick.

margje

The O is awesOme
Love the light effect you achieved Jean! It doesn't have to be work on a face!,this wis awesome too!

margje

The O is awesOme
Congrats on the Standing O Malou! well deserved! You have done a great job! absolute a stunner!