Oscraps

My elements are locking up in PSE - help!

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Have any of you ever had your elements lock up? I'm using PSE Elements 2018 and I've never had this happen before. I can't move or resize the elements after I get them on the page. I can get them on there, then they're "locked". I have to go over to the layers panel and "simplify layer" every time. I've been searching for a solution, but haven't found one yet. This JUST started happening tonight.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
No help here...that is a problem I haven't had. Did you do the old "shut down and reboot"? It is stupid but it often works!
Yes, I did that several times, Linda. I've never had this problem before - it's the strangest thing! Thanks, anyway. :)

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Are they coming in as smart objects?
Go to edit, preferences, general, disable smart objects to see if this could be the problem.
You know, that could be the problem. In the layers panel, they show fx - I just tried simplifying the elements, but hadn't thought about smart objects. Thanks, Barbara - I'm going to try that!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Barbara @seniorgal well, that didn't work. UGH. It's letting me move the elements now, but I have to click on the element in the layers panel each time, simplify layer, then I can move the element. It's such a pain because I like to "play: with the elements and move them around a lot. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

seniorgal

Try restarting again. Or if you haven't used the PSE you have more than once try downloading the other one. You can download it twice.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
@Cherylndesigns Yep, I have had this happen a few times when I used to use PSE years ago........... as Barbara mentioned it would be because of them being Smart Objects. If you have changed your settings as per Barbara's instructions above, I would reboot again and the try re-installing it if that doesn't work. Let us know how you get on Cheryl. :)

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
@Cherylndesigns Yep, I have had this happen a few times when I used to use PSE years ago........... as Barbara mentioned it would be because of them being Smart Objects. If you have changed your settings as per Barbara's instructions above, I would reboot again and the try re-installing it if that doesn't work. Let us know how you get on Cheryl. :)
Thanks, Ona. It's doing it again. Driving me nuts. I have to find every single element in the layers panel and click on THAT before I can do anything! Thanks too, Barbara @seniorgal - I guess I'm going to be forced to use PSCC. I have it, it's just not as easy for me to use as PSE. I can't go through this isolating every single element in the layers panel. What a PITA!!!

I often have this happen in PSE22, as they come in as Smart Objects and I have to simplify them, as soon as I see the icon for a smart object I just automatically simplify them, I think it probably happens when the computer does un upgrade

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Thanks, Ona. It's doing it again. Driving me nuts. I have to find every single element in the layers panel and click on THAT before I can do anything! Thanks too, Barbara @seniorgal - I guess I'm going to be forced to use PSCC. I have it, it's just not as easy for me to use as PSE. I can't go through this isolating every single element in the layers panel. What a PITA!!!
Cheryl, can you not install it again?? When you downloaded, it would have come in as an .exe file? If you check that you have that file first, then you could uninstall your current version and then install it again? Not sure if you had set up anything else on that version, like tagging etc?

Another thing, what if you just drag an element from your Windows Explorer panel (by passing the bin), does it still do the same?

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I often have this happen in PSE22, as they come in as Smart Objects and I have to simplify them, as soon as I see the icon for a smart object I just automatically simplify them, I think it probably happens when the computer does un upgrade
Thanks so much for your answer and welcome again!! This is the first time I've ever had this happen, that's why I'm so baffled!! I wish there was a way to "simplify all" - it's really slowing me down.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Cheryl, can you not install it again?? When you downloaded, it would have come in as an .exe file? If you check that you have that file first, then you could uninstall your current version and then install it again? Not sure if you had set up anything else on that version, like tagging etc?

Another thing, what if you just drag an element from your Windows Explorer panel (by passing the bin), does it still do the same?
I was thinking about uninstalling and reinstalling, Ona.. The other thing I was thinking about was upgrading to PSE 22 or 23. OR, just forcing myself to use PSCC. Maybe "necessity is the mother of invention". Hahaha I already pay for PSCC, because I love some of the other things that come along with it. I just can't cut the PSE cord because I've used it for so many years. I kind of go back and forth from time to time.

No, I haven't done a lot of tagging, so an uninstal/reinstall wouldn't be a problem.

I can drag the elements up onto my canvas - I just can't move them AFTER I get them up there. I can move the element I just drug up there, then, after I drag another one up there, the first one locks up and so on and so on. It's very odd!

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I was thinking about uninstalling and reinstalling, Ona.. The other thing I was thinking about was upgrading to PSE 22 or 23. OR, just forcing myself to use PSCC. Maybe "necessity is the mother of invention". Hahaha I already pay for PSCC, because I love some of the other things that come along with it. I just can't cut the PSE cord because I've used it for so many years. I kind of go back and forth from time to time.

No, I haven't done a lot of tagging, so an uninstal/reinstall wouldn't be a problem.

I can drag the elements up onto my canvas - I just can't move them AFTER I get them up there. I can move the element I just drug up there, then, after I drag another one up there, the first one locks up and so on and so on. It's very odd!
Well, if you are already paying for I would just go with PSCC, honestly, I resisted way back when I had PSE14 about changing but I ended up doing it and I would never go back to PSE. It really isn't such a big learning curve, all the basics of PSE are there for you just go with what you know........ after a couple of layouts you will soon become comfortable with where everything is etc. and then you can start playing around and look at some of the PSCC vids on Youtube to learn more as you go. :)

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Well, if you are already paying for I would just go with PSCC, honestly, I resisted way back when I had PSE14 about changing but I ended up doing it and I would never go back to PSE. It really isn't such a big learning curve, all the basics of PSE are there for you just go with what you know........ after a couple of layouts you will soon become comfortable with where everything is etc. and then you can start playing around and look at some of the PSCC vids on Youtube to learn more as you go. :)
I have it open right now. I signed up for it when PSE crashed and used it for awhile, then caved when PSE got back up and running. So, I have it for a year. I love having Creative Cloud and I do use LR. I think this is a sign that I need to start using it again. I know there are so many more techniques I could do if I used PS, like warping. Wish me luck. Thanks for all of your help. #kiss3

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I have it open right now. I signed up for it when PSE crashed and used it for awhile, then caved when PSE got back up and running. So, I have it for a year. I love having Creative Cloud and I do use LR. I think this is a sign that I need to start using it again. I know there are so many more techniques I could do if I used PS, like warping. Wish me luck. Thanks for all of your help. #kiss3
Well just holler if you need a hand but Youtube was my Go-To when I was learning it and of course there would we heaps more now, lol!! :)

Kythe

CHEERY O
2 things that may work
1. if you see fx try clearing the layer style (It is in the layer panel dropdown.)
2. don't drag up from the bin.... click on the element in the bin so that it opens in the work space and drag it into your work space in the bin. (I always keep the workspace at the first spot in my bin.)

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
2 things that may work
1. if you see fx try clearing the layer style (It is in the layer panel dropdown.)
2. don't drag up from the bin.... click on the element in the bin so that it opens in the work space and drag it into your work space in the bin. (I always keep the workspace at the first spot in my bin.)
Thanks so much, Kythe!!

Kythe

CHEERY O
Sadly, no. I think my old 2018 just bit the dust. I'm volleying between PSCC and a month long trial version of Elements 2020. I really want 2022, but I can't find a free trial for that one.
2022 isn't worth it. I have it and the Artistic AI doesn't work properly. There have been many discussions around that on Adobe Community. It is a glitch in the Intell chip.
2020 and 2021 are better.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
2022 isn't worth it. I have it and the Artistic AI doesn't work properly. There have been many discussions around that on Adobe Community. It is a glitch in the Intell chip.
2020 and 2021 are better.
That's good to know! Thanks for the input! So, I may just keep 2020.

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Thanks so much for your answer and welcome again!! This is the first time I've ever had this happen, that's why I'm so baffled!! I wish there was a way to "simplify all" - it's really slowing me down.
There is an easy way to simplify all in PSE... go to the layers panel - select the top layer - scroll down to the bottom layer and holding down the Shift key press on the bottom layer. That will select them all. Then on one of the layers which has Fx click on it and a pop-up window will appear. Click on simplify. I do this all the time - like when I want to crop the LO of elements extending beyond the borders.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
There is an easy way to simplify all in PSE... go to the layers panel - select the top layer - scroll down to the bottom layer and holding down the Shift key press on the bottom layer. That will select them all. Then on one of the layers which has Fx click on it and a pop-up window will appear. Click on simplify. I do this all the time - like when I want to crop the LO of elements extending beyond the borders.
Thanks so much, Kay! I did not know that - wow - this is a breakthrough!!

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
(whispering in your ear....go PSCC - you will be glad you did when you find out what you can do with that you can't in PSE... especially since you are already paying for it!!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
(whispering in your ear....go PSCC - you will be glad you did when you find out what you can do with that you can't in PSE... especially since you are already paying for it!!
I hear you whispering in my ear. I have a new Mac DESKTOP coming and I'm going to morph into PSCC!! I didn't want to tell Chuck that I needed to do that, but he doesn't like me being in a funk and he suggested it. I might be needing your advice on switching from a PC to a Mac. And, I haven't had a desktop since early 2000.

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
I hear you whispering in my ear. I have a new Mac DESKTOP coming and I'm going to morph into PSCC!! I didn't want to tell Chuck that I needed to do that, but he doesn't like me being in a funk and he suggested it. I might be needing your advice on switching from a PC to a Mac. And, I haven't had a desktop since early 2000.

I’m here for yiu!! Did you get an iMac?