Oscraps

Making "Group" play nicely

SharLamb

Sharron
Maybe you all know this, but it has been frustrating me for quite awhile. I hear (and see) people moving GROUPS around on their canvas, and everything in the group moves at once. Not mine. Every time I tried it, the group folder would open, and only one of the items in the group would move. "So," I asked myself, "what is the point of Groups?" I really couldn't find an answer when I Googled it until someone suggested unclicking "Auto-Select." Voila! That worked. I could then move the entire Group all at once.

Thinking that using a modifier key sometimes makes happy things occur (the space bar makes the curser turn into a hand, etc.), I experimented and found that even with the Auto-Select box checked (on), if you click on the Group layer in the layers panel and hold down the Command key, the entire group will move. (I don't have a PC, but I'd guess holding down the Control key would work with Windows.)

So just in case there is another person in O-land that has wondered about this, I wanted to share the solution.