Oscraps

Low Sodium recipes

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Since I did chemo I have had some problems with edema and high blood pressure. The cardiologist put me on a diuretic so I have to limit my salt intake. It has been hard trying to adjust my cooking where the food tastes good and where my husband will like it. I do leave the salt shaker on the table for him to add more to his serving. Do any of you have any good low sodium recipes o

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I made a bunch of low-sodium seasoning for my parents. My mom and dad are on low-sodium diets and my mom is low-potassium too.

Healthier Shake'n Bake Chicken SEASONING MIX​

2 cups panko or fine bread crumbs
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried parsley or tarragon
2 tsp poultry seasoning
2 tsp pepper
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup flour

Mix all ingredients and store an air-tight container.​

For chicken: In a small bowl mix mix one egg with 1/2 cup milk. Scoop out 2/3 cup of Seasoning Mix into a sealable plastic bag. Dip chicken legs or thighs (with or without skin) into milk mixture, then drop in bag. Shake to coat. Bake.​

Honey and Rosemary Marinade

• 125 ml vegetable oil -4 oz
  • 45 ml liquid honey 2.5 tbsp
  • 45 ml lemon juice 2.5 tbsp
  • 6 g lemon zest (Zest of 1 lemon)
  • 20 g garlic cloves chopped 1 tbsp
  • 7 g onion powder 1 tsp
  • 3.3 g dried rosemary .5 tsp
NOTES

This recipe makes approximately 1 cup (250 ml) of marinade.

breadsticks recipe

Servings: 24 bread sticks

Ingredients​

• 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1.5 teaspoons instant dry yeast
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons dried italian herbs
  • 3/4 cup luke warm water add more if needed
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt
  • sesame seeds
  • Nigella seeds

Instructions​

1. Take 1 cup luke warm water in a mixing bowl. Add sugar and yeast to it. Let the yeast proof and bubble.
  2. Add 2 cups whole wheat flour, salt, 2 tablespoons olive oil to the yeast slurry. Mix well. Knead well and make a soft dough. rest the dough for 1.5 hours.
  3. Once the dough is doubled in volume, punch it back and knead again slightly. Divide the dough into 2 parts.
  4. Roll one part into a circle of 1/4' thickness.
  5. Spread nigella seeds and sesame seeds on the rolled circle. Press slightly.
  6. Make slits over the rolled circle as seen in the picture. Take each stick and make some irregular shapes.
  7. Carefully arrange the shaped sticks in a baking sheet.
  8. Cover with a cloth and rest for 30 minutes.
  9. Preheat oven at 425F. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. Store the remaining in airtight container.

Bread Dipping Spices https://julieblanner.com/olive-oil-bread-dip/

Ingredients​

• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon oregano
  • 1 tablespoon rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon parsley
  • 1 tablespoon basil
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon pepper

Instructions​

1. Combine ingredients in a glass jar or small dish.
  2. Store in an airtight container.

Tips:​

• Use dried whole or cracked herbs, vs ground herbs. Ground herbs are more potent and won't package as beautifully.
  • The Perfect Ratio: When it comes to the ratio of oil to spices, it's entirely up to you! We like 2 tablespoons of olive oil to about 1 teaspoon of this spice blend.

Nutrition​

Calories: 5kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Sodium: 150mg | Potassium: 17mg | Vitamin A: 155IU | Vitamin C: 0.9mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 0.4mg

Fajita Seasoning​

• 2 tbsp salt-free chili powder
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp dry oregano
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper

HOMEMADE GREEK SEASONING BLEND (WHOLE30 PALEO)​

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Thank you so much for all of the amazing recipes, Chris! I will be printing them out today!!!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Are those recipe pages hers? Where is she at now? She was at Gingerscraps for a little while but is not there either.
You are very welcome, I am glad I could help. My mom and dad are both sick and tired of eating the same tasteless stuff so I made up the seasonings as part of a Christmas gift for them. They have used the chicken shake and bake on chicken and pork chops and put the dipping spices on top of sliced Italian bread with olive oil as a "bruschetta"

I don't know where Kelly ended up :(

If I think of anything else, I'll post back

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Evelyn @EvelynD2 thanks for starting this thread.

Chris @faerywings thank you SO much for these delicious looking recipes. I have to watch my sodium intake, too. I've really been having a lot of swelling in my lower legs and feet lately and couldn't figure out why. I think it's the food boxes I've been subscribing to. Most of it comes pre-packaged and I need to look at the sodium count. Anything in a package, box or can has more sodium because there has to be a preservative in them. When I was on a very strict low sodium diet several years ago, my doctor told me not to eat anything out of a box of a can. The lightbulb just went off in my head last night.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
You are very welcome, I am glad I could help. My mom and dad are both sick and tired of eating the same tasteless stuff so I made up the seasonings as part of a Christmas gift for them. They have used the chicken shake and bake on chicken and pork chops and put the dipping spices on top of sliced Italian bread with olive oil as a "bruschetta"

I don't know where Kelly ended up :(

If I think of anything else, I'll post back
Thank you for so much your help. I have been overwhelmed with trying to cook differently after 45 years of marriage. I/ went to Walmart and bought the ingredients to make the Shake and Bake for chicken tomorrow>

EvelynD2

CHEERY O

Chris @faerywings thank you SO much for these delicious looking recipes. I have to watch my sodium intake, too. I've really been having a lot of swelling in my lower legs and feet lately and couldn't figure out why. I think it's the food boxes I've been subscribing to. Most of it comes pre-packaged and I need to look at the sodium count. Anything in a package, box or can has more sodium because there has to be a preservative in them. When I was on a very strict low sodium diet several years ago, my doctor told me not to eat anything out of a box of a can. The lightbulb just went off in my head last night.
I have had swelling in my calves and feet as well. I was eating way too much salt previously.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Thank you for so much your help. I have been overwhelmed with trying to cook differently after 45 years of marriage. I/ went to Walmart and bought the ingredients to make the Shake and Bake for chicken tomorrow>
That's awesome! I need to make my parents another batch of that soon. My mom is a really good cook but a lot of the stuff that she and my dad enjoyed are off-limits now. She was making the same foods but adding more garlic powder or black pepper and it wasn't working. Because she cooked the same rotation of meals she didn;t feel confident in trying new spices and flavors. She felt the same as you, not enjoying anything but not sure where else to go.
When I was visiting with her yesterday she told me that she is going to try the fajita seasoning next.

BTW, in case you are thinking of trying Mrs Dash, be careful. Her nephrologist doctor said that whatever is in it is dangerous for kidney patients so read the label and make sure is safe for you.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O

That stinks, those food boxes must be a huge help on the nights you simply don't have it in you to cook. Is there a low-sodium option? IIRC, hello Fresh does because I thought about getting a short subscription for them last year. Maybe yours does too?

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
That's awesome! I need to make my parents another batch of that soon. My mom is a really good cook but a lot of the stuff that she and my dad enjoyed are off-limits now. She was making the same foods but adding more garlic powder or black pepper and it wasn't working. Because she cooked the same rotation of meals she didn;t feel confident in trying new spices and flavors. She felt the same as you, not enjoying anything but not sure where else to go.
When I was visiting with her yesterday she told me that she is going to try the fajita seasoning next.

BTW, in case you are thinking of trying Mrs Dash, be careful. Her nephrologist doctor said that whatever is in it is dangerous for kidney patients so read the label and make sure is safe for you.
I sure know how your mom felt. I’ve been feeling the same way. I didn’t know what to cook. Thank you for the warning about Mrs. Dash! That’s good to know!

EvelynD2

CHEERY O

I was wondering if there are any low sodium food subscriptions available?‍♀️

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
That stinks, those food boxes must be a huge help on the nights you simply don't have it in you to cook. Is there a low-sodium option? IIRC, hello Fresh does because I thought about getting a short subscription for them last year. Maybe yours does too?
I really don't know, but I'm going to find out - that's a great idea, Chris. They DO ask if you have any food restrctions so maybe under that category. I'm glad to hear that Hello Fresh has that option. Ava gets Hello Fresh and loves it.

PS I didn't eat anything from the food box yesterday and my ankles and feet were a lot better, so I really think that's the culprit. They're SO nice to have, though, especially for one person.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Here are a few lower sodium options that I have found and enjoy. Silver Plate has a lower sodium marinara sauce. I made spaghetti with it and it was good. Also, I found Ken's Light Sweet Vadalia salad dressing. I made your yummy chicken shake and bake recipe today with chicken tenders. I used a little of the sweet vadalia salad dressing to dip the chicken in. It was so good!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
That's great, Evelyn! Makes me happy that you liked it (not that I created the recipe but still :D )
I am sure that you can tweak any of the herbs and spices to your tastes.
I don't; know if you have a Trader Joe's near you but my parents get bread and English muffins there. They have lower sodium than most other brands. Bread is shockingly high in sodium.

You can make your own bread with low-sodium baking powder. I found it on Amazon but they told me they didn't want me going out of my way to make bread for them. If you make your own bread/rolls, there is that option for you

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
That's great, Evelyn! Makes me happy that you liked it (not that I created the recipe but still :D )
I am sure that you can tweak any of the herbs and spices to your tastes.
I don't; know if you have a Trader Joe's near you but my parents get bread and English muffins there. They have lower sodium than most other brands. Bread is shockingly high in sodium.

You can make your own bread with low-sodium baking powder. I found it on Amazon but they told me they didn't want me going out of my way to make bread for them. If you make your own bread/rolls, there is that option for you
Thank you so much for the help! I appreciate it so much! We have a Trader Joe’s not too far in Nashville. I love shopping there. I did buy some yeast because I thought about trying to make bread. I will look on Amazon for the baking powder. Walmart didn’t have it.

zanthia

CHEERY O
I always buy salt free curry powder and chii powder as those blends arent the easiest to make. you can buy other salt free spice blends. Also i always buy salt free tomato sauce. diced tomatoes and tomato paste which are used in so many recipes. for cold cuts look for low sodium ones. one thing that can vary quite a bit is fresh boneless chicken breast so check the sodium on them - dont get it if is over 100 per serving

in general if a recipe calls for salt, i dont add it.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I was shocked that most chili powders have salt in them! I didn't believe it until I looked at the ingredients in the jar I had. I bought organic chili powder to make the spice mixes for my parens and then gave them the jar.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
I always buy salt free curry powder and chii powder as those blends arent the easiest to make. you can buy other salt free spice blends. Also i always buy salt free tomato sauce. diced tomatoes and tomato paste which are used in so many recipes. for cold cuts look for low sodium ones. one thing that can vary quite a bit is fresh boneless chicken breast so check the sodium on them - dont get it if is over 100 per serving

in general if a recipe calls for salt, i dont add it.
Thank you! Those are great ideas!
I was shocked that most chili powders have salt in them! I didn't believe it until I looked at the ingredients in the jar I had. I bought organic chili powder to make the spice mixes for my parens and then gave them the jar.
Oh! I’ll have to look at my spice bottles!