Oscraps

How long do you keep kits?

Jeannette

CHEERY O
I'm in need of space, bought a new external drive and went through my kits I had saved on my first external drive. I have so many kits and from some of the old kits I don't even now the designers anymore. I have kits from Carena, but I don't remember who she is. Kits from Lisete, Kryzty, Joey, Fanette .... I don't really remember them. Some of these are beautiful and I will save them, but others don't really appeal to me so much. Should I keep them, or throw them away? I'm not sure. How many kits does a person need?
What do you ladies do?
Do you keep all the kits you have downloaded?
I'm loading lots of them into the cloud now. That way I can keep them, but they don't take in the external drive space.

svanderhaegen

CHEERY O
I still have most of them, but never use the really old ones any more ( those that are more then 10 years really look crappy compared to recent ones)

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I'm doing the same thing you are, Jeannette. I have to clean house a little bit. I hate to delete kits, but if they're really old, or if I don't like them (sometimes I don't even remember where they came from), I've been deleting them. It's really hard for me to delete anything, but I'm running out of space, too. I have 3 EHD's right now that I use things from and 2 more old ones.

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
Failing EHD’s have solved that problem for me, more than once!
if you do not use or like the kits, why keep them?

LauraD

Scrapbooking reminds us that life is beautiful.
CHEERY O
I keep all of my kits on 2 different EHDs. I keep my more recent kits and the ones I use a lot on my computer. Every few years, I go through and delete some (making sure they are backed up on the other 2 EHDs. Also, I have an EHD just for the zipped files that they all come in.

Caro

CHEERY O
I'm a digital scrap hoarder :wardrobehide: I keep EVERYTHING lol..I've been scrapping since 2008 so I got a ton of old stuff that I haven't looked at in years. I just ordered an 8TB external hard drive so I can back up my back up. I'm a lost cause!
:hiding1::wallpeek::couchhide::dancing6:

~Karen~

Designer
I keep everything, too! I love walking down memory lane and browsing through old kits, though I usually scrap with newer ones. :)

Jeannette

CHEERY O
I still have most of them, but never use the really old ones any more ( those that are more then 10 years really look crappy compared to recent ones)
That is true. Not for all designers, but a lot of the old stuff isn't half as beautiful as the new stuff.

Jeannette

CHEERY O
I'm doing the same thing you are, Jeannette. I have to clean house a little bit. I hate to delete kits, but if they're really old, or if I don't like them (sometimes I don't even remember where they came from), I've been deleting them. It's really hard for me to delete anything, but I'm running out of space, too. I have 3 EHD's right now that I use things from and 2 more old ones.
That's my issue. I have to delete some kits for space reasons, but I hate deleting them

Jeannette

CHEERY O
I keep all of my kits on 2 different EHDs. I keep my more recent kits and the ones I use a lot on my computer. Every few years, I go through and delete some (making sure they are backed up on the other 2 EHDs. Also, I have an EHD just for the zipped files that they all come in.
Wow, you're so organized!!!!

janedee

I had moved some of my really old kits to an external hard drive which crashed, so I lost all of them. While I was sad at the time, I don't think I've every really missed any of them.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Yep, another hoarder here! :stash: I have tons of stuff from as far back as 2008! :giggle4: Like Laura I also keep my zipped files on a seperate EHD which has really come in handy as I have been able to help two designers that I CT'd for years ago to restore the marjority of their products when both had EHD failures and lost a lot of their stuff. :) The zipped files have also come in handy for when some of stuff became 'locked' for some strange reason and I was unable to unlock them so I was able to delete them and then unzip the file again.

Last edited:

mimes1

CHEERY O
Hoarders Unite!! Yes I save everything, and like Laura and Ona I have all the zips on a separate EHD as well. I have one “working” drive, and two separate EHD back ups, plus the Zip backup. I don’t use the old stuff very often but I can’t bear to get rid of anything. (Pictures fall into the same category but that’s a whole ‘nother discussion thread!! )

I mentioned in the DAiley Ooo thread about GoodSync - a software program for backing up. It easily backs or transfers files from one device to another without using the cloud. It’s been excellent for monthly back ups as well as moving into a new Ehd.

AK_Tracy

WIth all the Hoarders!! However, I have just started a year ago to collect things. I use to be part of a Digital scrapping that you paid monthly and then used whatever. Never owned anything. So when it shut down I started from scratch. But even the freebie I got a year ago, that I've never used still cant delete it. I have one EHD that backs up my computer and everything on it. Then I have another EHD that is huge and hold all my EHD stuff in one place. Small 4T HD to backup and encrypt the files. 8TB to hold all my photos and stash that I use to scrap with. Thinking of getting another 8TB drive just to use as an additional backup. But man, delete is not in my vocabulary.

Jeannette

CHEERY O
Yep, another hoarder here! :stash: I have tons of stuff from as far back as 2008! :giggle4: Like Laura I also keep my zipped files on a seperate EHD which has really come in handy as I have been able to help two designers that I CT'd for years ago to restore the marjority of their products when both had EHD failures and lost a lot of their stuff. :) The zipped files have also come in handy for when some of stuff became 'locked' for some strange reason and I was unable to unlock them so I was able to delete them and then unzip the file again.
O wow, they must have found you a hero!!
I won't tell my husband tho, he's a hoarder of just about evenything. Whenever I try to get him to throw stuff away he is like no, it me be useful someday . I always deny that, but now your proofed me wrong:lol23:

Jeannette

CHEERY O
Hoarders Unite!! Yes I save everything, and like Laura and Ona I have all the zips on a separate EHD as well. I have one “working” drive, and two separate EHD back ups, plus the Zip backup. I don’t use the old stuff very often but I can’t bear to get rid of anything. (Pictures fall into the same category but that’s a whole ‘nother discussion thread!! )

I mentioned in the DAiley Ooo thread about GoodSync - a software program for backing up. It easily backs or transfers files from one device to another without using the cloud. It’s been excellent for monthly back ups as well as moving into a new Ehd.
Thanks for the tip. I hate uploading to the cloud. I'm going to try out GoodSync!

Jeannette

CHEERY O
WIth all the Hoarders!! However, I have just started a year ago to collect things. I use to be part of a Digital scrapping that you paid monthly and then used whatever. Never owned anything. So when it shut down I started from scratch. But even the freebie I got a year ago, that I've never used still cant delete it. I have one EHD that backs up my computer and everything on it. Then I have another EHD that is huge and hold all my EHD stuff in one place. Small 4T HD to backup and encrypt the files. 8TB to hold all my photos and stash that I use to scrap with. Thinking of getting another 8TB drive just to use as an additional backup. But man, delete is not in my vocabulary.
O boy, you're amazing!!!!

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
O wow, they must have found you a hero!!
I won't tell my husband tho, he's a hoarder of just about evenything. Whenever I try to get him to throw stuff away he is like no, it me be useful someday . I always deny that, but now your proofed me wrong:lol23:
Oh Jeannette I am forever telling my hoarder hubby to get rid of things...... it's like 'do as I say!' rather then 'do as I do'! :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh: But the stuff HE hoards is big, like car parts, truck parts, building materials etc etc. :rolleyes1:

twinsmomflor

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
oh my... I am so bad too. I lost the hard drive with the zip files. But I have two copies of my kits. I need to let go but I just cannot.

zanthia

CHEERY O
I dont think i ever actually deleted an old kit but old drives/pc have died so some older stuff has been lost . You just never know when a retired designer comes back .

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
That's my issue. I have to delete some kits for space reasons, but I hate deleting them
Jeannette, you might buy a few large thumb drives and put your older kits on them. I kept all my zipped files and have them on thumb drives just in case but I've been deleting what I know I will never use from my EHD. I'm planning on purchasing 2 20TB EHDs - one for scrapbooking and one for genealogy - but I will still keep the zipped files on the one I am using now and use the new one for the unzipped files. I've been running a spreadsheet now for several years so I know who the kits belong to, but the early ones from 2005 and 2006? Most of those designers are gone and I won't use the kits as the quality standard was not so good. That's why I'm re-doing many of my early LOs. A big job because I made 700 the first year we were in Kentucky

Please don't delete, i would take thumbdrives, now.
Last year i moved i used to design under another name and was a CT member for so many Designers.
During the move my Server broke and i lost everything. My own designs, others designs, Photo's.
I will tell you that i cried a whole lot that day.
So much work, so much time, so many years.
This time i will make sure to back up the back up, the back up lol.

newbie2digi

I have everything back to almost 20 years. I'm now gradually purging the physical items in my art room, but I can't let go of the digital. Even knowing the early kits don't even make sense to me anymore.

Su_Sanne

I'm a digital scrap hoarder :wardrobehide: I keep EVERYTHING lol..I've been scrapping since 2008 so I got a ton of old stuff that I haven't looked at in years. I just ordered an 8TB external hard drive so I can back up my back up. I'm a lost cause!
:hiding1::wallpeek::couchhide::dancing6:

Oh how nice! Then I'm not alone! Hubby and I have an external network drive for photos, music and my old scrap kits! I'm still attached to some kits from Kasia Designs or Lily or DawnInskip. They were very good designers 15 years ago and more. And then there are 2 large EHDs, one of which stores the new kits and the zips separately. And because I'm not sure whether I really have back-ups of all the kits, I prefer to have another EHD with an extra backup. That's crazy, isn't it? :banghead:

Su_Sanne

Oh Jeannette I am forever telling my hoarder hubby to get rid of things...... it's like 'do as I say!' rather then 'do as I do'! :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:That makes things a lot more difficult than a few small hard drives, Ona *lol*. My husband is one of those too... that's why he never finds anything. The house and the property offer too many opportunities to keep things. But the stuff HE hoards is big, like car parts, truck parts, building materials etc etc. :rolleyes1:

That makes things a lot more difficult than a few small hard drives, Ona *lol*. My husband is one of those too... that's why he never finds anything. The house and the property offer too many opportunities to keep things. Not my problem! I have my things in order
:whistle:

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Oh how nice! Then I'm not alone! Hubby and I have an external network drive for photos, music and my old scrap kits! I'm still attached to some kits from Kasia Designs or Lily or DawnInskip. They were very good designers 15 years ago and more. And then there are 2 large EHDs, one of which stores the new kits and the zips separately. And because I'm not sure whether I really have back-ups of all the kits, I prefer to have another EHD with an extra backup. That's crazy, isn't it? :banghead:
Oh Susanne, I used to CT for Dawn Inskip ♥ and have a LOT of her stuff, but I have been printing some of her stuff out and using them in my physical art journal some of which don't get posted online. There is no way I could delete any of her stuff! I was only looking through the massive stash I have of Vinnie Pearce who I used to CT for as well and am planning to print out some of her stuff too to use. At least I will get to use it all again! :claphands:

Su_Sanne

Oh Susanne, I used to CT for Dawn Inskip ♥ and have a LOT of her stuff, but I have been printing some of her stuff out and using them in my physical art journal some of which don't get posted online. There is no way I could delete any of her stuff! I was only looking through the massive stash I have of Vinnie Pearce who I used to CT for as well and am planning to print out some of her stuff too to use. At least I will get to use it all again! :claphands:
PN just for you dance4