Oscraps

How Do YOU Organize Your Documentation?

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I will be back with my system - need to take some screen shots - but am curious. How DO YOU organize?

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
I am always baffled by these questions... as the answer depends on the person and the stuff that needs organizing... in case of heritage/genealogy the most obvious answer would be either chronologically or by person/branch of the family... depending on how much material exists. I also find that the best way to stay organized is to spend time organizing. Doesn't matter what your system is, once you've spent a chunk of time trying to sort it, more often that not you'll realize you don't need a sofisticated system because you know what you have and where it is and a logical - and uniquely your - way presents itself.

In my case, I have three folders - my childhood, my mom's side and by dad's side with the latter further divided into three more folders for his childhood and then his grandmother's and grandfather's families. Because that's what I have. In those folders I have photos (I scanned the back side too so I know what's written on them and have a handwriting sample to scrap as well), an excel file with the family tree, and some word files with notes that I have collected over time.

As for the photos I have taken over the years once I started by own family - those are in Google Photos so are searchable by date/place/person etc... including color I think, lol... I also have backup copies on external hard drives - the earlier photos are organized by place and then I switched to yearly folders with monthly subfolders (which are further divided into trips/events when needed).

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Susan, I look forward to your info as I'm not sure what you mean by organize your documentation.
Hi, Jean. I'm talking about documents like birth, marriage, and death records, census returns, correspondence, family Bible records, military records. etc. - that is, all the little stuff that proves out the relationship. I didn't include pictures (photos, paintings, etc.) because I suspect we each of us organize those the same for genealogy as for scrapbooking or close to it. I have attached a PDF of how I do mine.

Attachments

• Genealogy Organization.pdf
    190 KB · Views: 1

scrap-genie

Thanks for clarifying, Susan @Susan - s3js . I have a mental divide between the words documentation and documents.
Everyone has a different system from what I can tell. I divide by family, then subdivide as documents increase. In the old days it was in 3-ring binders or file folders. Now it's digital and the record type is usually the first part of file names for me and stored within a family folder.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Thanks for clarifying, Susan @Susan - s3js . I have a mental divide between the words documentation and documents.
Everyone has a different system from what I can tell. I divide by family, then subdivide as documents increase. In the old days it was in 3-ring binders or file folders. Now it's digital and the record type is usually the first part of file names for me and stored within a family folder.
I also file by family. I have a folder for my mother's maternal line and another for the paternal. likewise for my father, then organized as above. I meant to say that earlier but got in a hurry. My apologies, all!