Oscraps

From the Mists of Time - genealogy in the gallery - April 2023

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Ha! I managed to get here on time this month!

With Easter fast approaching, it made me wonder about what other springtime traditions we cherish. There are a lot of people who don't celebrate Easter as a religious holiday but as a cultural one. Some don't celebrate Easter at all. Many people don't even know that it probably started as the "pagan" celebration of the Spring Equinox in which Eostre the goddess of fertility and spring played a part and from whic the name Easter derives. This also correlates with Beltane and other ancient celebrations. The Roman Church was very good at appropriating those celebrations people were likely to continue with and turning them to the purposes of the Church. I know we have members of many varied backgrounds and faiths and I would love to hear about what everyone celebrates in April.

I know, I know - Easter isn't always IN April but it is this year. Personally, I celebrate Passover along with Easter. To me, they go hand in hand and one can't really be understood without the other. But that's just me! I think I might make a poor Celt as I can no longer run fast and jump over the Beltane fire - besides I'm a bit afraid of fire.