Oscraps

Flea and Tick treatments for dogs

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
I currently use Adams Flea and Tick collars for our two dogs. One is 90 pounds and the other is 20 pounds. We have not had issues until recently. I had a tick on me day before yesterday and my husband had a tick on him this morning. I am looking for alternatives to what I am using but I also want it to be priced reasonable. I appreciate any suggestions! I hate ticks and the diseases they carry!

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I'm so glad you posted this, Evelyn. My husband took care of the flea and tick collars/treatments for our dog and cat. The dog's flea and tick collar is still good for a few months, but thankfully, I found the box and the treatment boxes.

The flea and tick collar is Hart's Ultra Guard Pro and it's on Amazon and the flea and tick treatments are Pet Armor Plus. I need to buy more for the cat, there's one application left, but it's out of the box. I'll just order something for cats from the same brand. They seem to be working. We live in the country so it's tick heaven. UGH. I HATE ticks and Chuck always got them off the animals. I guess I'll be the tick remover now. **shiver**

Edited: I don't think there's anything that keeps ticks off of them 100% when you live in the country, with woods all around. Thankfully, we've never had one on us.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
I'm so glad you posted this, Evelyn. My husband took care of the flea and tick collars/treatments for our dog and cat. The dog's flea and tick collar is still good for a few months, but thankfully, I found the box and the treatment boxes.

The flea and tick collar is Hart's Ultra Guard Pro and it's on Amazon and the flea and tick treatments are Pet Armor Plus. I need to buy more for the cat, there's one application left, but it's out of the box. I'll just order something for cats from the same brand. They seem to be working. We live in the country so it's tick heaven. UGH. I HATE ticks and Chuck always got them off the animals. I guess I'll be the tick remover now. **shiver**

Edited: I don't think there's anything that keeps ticks off of them 100% when you live in the country, with woods all around. Thankfully, we've never had one on us.
Thank you so much for the info, Cheryl! I will look on Amazon for those. Tod's stepfather had gotten Lyme disease years ago from a tick and another friend almost died from Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I hate ticks and it freaks me out when I have one on me!

joyfulheartdesigns

Jenn :)
Designer
Ugh...I HATE fleas and ticks...:voodoodoll: I had used the Seresto collars for years, they are pricier but worked better than everything else I had tried...BUT, they must have changed something because the last collars that I had ordered a few years ago didn't work well AT ALL! So, after trying a few other things, we finally settled on using Revolution PLUS for the cats because it protects against heartworms, ear mites, hookworms, a well as the fleas and ticks. Again, it is pricier, as well, BUT if you can order it for the first time at one of the sites like PetMeds or Chewy, you can often use a coupon or get an online offer for first time buyers and get a great discount and just stock up on it ;) For our dog we use the NexGard chewables for flea and tick prevention...again, something that you would want to try to get a good deal on by using a coupon.

I know it isn't helpful that these are more expensive than the cheaper alternatives, but the cheaper alternatives just never worked well for us out here in the Alabama country :(

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Thank you so much for the info, Cheryl! I will look on Amazon for those. Tod's stepfather had gotten Lyme disease years ago from a tick and another friend almost died from Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I hate ticks and it freaks me out when I have one on me!
You're welcome. I just saw what Jenn @joyfulheartdesigns posted down below and I looked at that brand. Maybe I'll try those.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Ugh...I HATE fleas and ticks...:voodoodoll: I had used the Seresto collars for years, they are pricier but worked better than everything else I had tried...BUT, they must have changed something because the last collars that I had ordered a few years ago didn't work well AT ALL! So, after trying a few other things, we finally settled on using Revolution PLUS for the cats because it protects against heartworms, ear mites, hookworms, a well as the fleas and ticks. Again, it is pricier, as well, BUT if you can order it for the first time at one of the sites like PetMeds or Chewy, you can often use a coupon or get an online offer for first time buyers and get a great discount and just stock up on it ;) For our dog we use the NexGard chewables for flea and tick prevention...again, something that you would want to try to get a good deal on by using a coupon.

I know it isn't helpful that these are more expensive than the cheaper alternatives, but the cheaper alternatives just never worked well for us out here in the Alabama country :(
Jenn, I just looked at those Seresto collars.

joyfulheartdesigns

Designer
Jenn, I just looked at those Seresto collars.
I would skip Seresto, I was saying that they STOPPED working for us :( That is when we switched over to the chewable treatments... It was really disappointing because they had worked so well for a few years, but for both my cat and dog, the last two I tried didn't work at all. They WERE ordered off of Amazon instead of purchased in a store, so maybe that made a difference, maybe fake or old product? That is just my experience with them :heartpumppink:

zanthia

CHEERY O
I have been using nexgard f or years - its prescription only now its called nexgard plus as it also includes heartworm. So easy to use as it is just like giving a treat to your dog . It is pretty expensive though but they usually have deals like a free month or a rebate.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
Cheryl is correct - Regardless of which product you use for your pets, none of those are going to keep ticks from getting on YOU. They don't act as repellents; fleas and ticks land on the pet, are exposed to the product, and then are supposed to die off.

If you're going to be outdoors where ticks are present, you should look into products that you can spray on yourself.

I also hate ticks with a passion and was completely horrified when my daughter had to pull an embedded tick off me a few years ago. This was when we were living in an apartment in the suburbs. I suspect it was in a flat of flowers I bought. With winters generally being warmer, they aren't being killed off by the cold like they used to.

Signed,

someone who spent 40+ years in veterinary medicine and spent a large portion of that time talking about fleas and ticks to clients. :soapbox:

joyfulheartdesigns

Designer
Cheryl is correct - Regardless of which product you use for your pets, none of those are going to keep ticks from getting on YOU. They don't act as repellents; fleas and ticks land on the pet, are exposed to the product, and then are supposed to die off.

If you're going to be outdoors where ticks are present, you should look into products that you can spray on yourself.

I also hate ticks with a passion and was completely horrified when my daughter had to pull an embedded tick off me a few years ago. This was when we were living in an apartment in the suburbs. I suspect it was in a flat of flowers I bought. With winters generally being warmer, they aren't being killed off by the cold like they used to.

Signed,

someone who spent 40+ years in veterinary medicine and spent a large portion of that time talking about fleas and ticks to clients. :soapbox:
For sure!! I was changing out of my pajamas this morning and found one attached to me on my tummy...it was an itchy spot, and I have a few vasculutis spots fading on my stomach and thought it might just be one of those that I had scratched and caused a would, so I poked at it a bit and knew right away it was a tiny red tick. I have horrible "up close" eye sight now, so I had my husband get it unattached from me with tweasers, and thankfully the head came out intact. Lime disease will hopefully NOT be my new thing to deal with, this year.... :praying2: I had only gone outside briefly yesterday, so it could have been something I picked up from the grass, OR, I am thinking since the cats love to lay on my bed becausue it is right by a huge window the length of the bed, it might have come off of one of them and just cozied itself on down into my bed to wait and suck on me :hiding2::voodoodoll::wardrobehide:

EvelynD2

CHEERY O

Thank you so much, Jenn! I can try to see if there are any coupons on the internet!

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
For sure!! I was changing out of my pajamas this morning and found one attached to me on my tummy...it was an itchy spot, and I have a few vasculutis spots fading on my stomach and thought it might just be one of those that I had scratched and caused a would, so I poked at it a bit and knew right away it was a tiny red tick. I have horrible "up close" eye sight now, so I had my husband get it unattached from me with tweasers, and thankfully the head came out intact. Lime disease will hopefully NOT be my new thing to deal with, this year.... :praying2: I had only gone outside briefly yesterday, so it could have been something I picked up from the grass, OR, I am thinking since the cats love to lay on my bed becausue it is right by a huge window the length of the bed, it might have come off of one of them and just cozied itself on down into my bed to wait and suck on me :hiding2::voodoodoll::wardrobehide:
Ticks seem to be worse this year. Maybe it didn't get cold enough to kill them. Too bad all the cicadas that are coming don't eat ticks instead of foliage! :floorlaugh:

mimes1

This has been quite the thread to read through! Ticks freak me out too!! Last summer I found one on my neck but thankfully it wasn't imbedded. Had no idea where it came from, I had only been out in the back yard! We give our dogs a chewable tablet once a month. Simparica Trio. It also helps with fleas and heartworm.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Lyme disease survivor here-- please please please be super vigilant about tick checks. CDC says that ticks need to be attached for 24 hours before they transmit the spirochetes. That is not true! Also, its not only deer ticks that transmit, all ticks can.

As for the dogs, I use the Rx chewables from my vet.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Lyme disease survivor here-- please please please be super vigilant about tick checks. CDC says that ticks need to be attached for 24 hours before they transmit the spirochetes. That is not true! Also, its not only deer ticks that transmit, all ticks can.

As for the dogs, I use the Rx chewables from my vet.
Oh, Chris! I am so sorry to hear you had Lyme disease! I hope you don't have any lasting issues to deal with as a result!

joyfulheartdesigns

Designer
I got bit by a tick a year or so ago and the bump was there for a few months and itched for quite a while. I heard that's common so hopefully you are okay!
Thank you, sweet Evelyn!! That is good to know...it is still there, and there is a scab because I couldn't stop scratching it :couchhide: BUT, it isn't as itchy anymore, so hopefully I am good. I really hope it doesn't turn into something major...I was worried because of me having active vasculitis already, and I get flare ups constantly, and my veins are more purple and showing up more than they used to.... I hate having medical issues that I cannot control myself or have a quick fix for....I KNOW that YOU feel the same way with what you have been through. I am pretty much just trying to move along and I guess wait and see if something else happens because of the tick...:hiding1: :hug2:

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Thank you, sweet Evelyn!! That is good to know...it is still there, and there is a scab because I couldn't stop scratching it :couchhide: BUT, it isn't as itchy anymore, so hopefully I am good. I really hope it doesn't turn into something major...I was worried because of me having active vasculitis already, and I get flare ups constantly, and my veins are more purple and showing up more than they used to.... I hate having medical issues that I cannot control myself or have a quick fix for....I KNOW that YOU feel the same way with what you have been through. I am pretty much just trying to move along and I guess wait and see if something else happens because of the tick...:hiding1: :hug2:
I'm not a medical doctor, nor do I play one on T.V. :) but I think you would have already had symptoms if it was something serious. I am sad to hear that you are having to deal with vasculitis. I will be praying for you! ((((HUGS)))

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Oh, Chris! I am so sorry to hear you had Lyme disease! I hope you don't have any lasting issues to deal with as a result!
Thankfully I am feeling good. I still show an active infection but as long as I feel ok, I am not treating it. Gary, on the other hand, is disabled from it :brokenheart: