Oscraps

Favorite dips and appetizer recipes

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
:dinner:

I am looking to shake up my Christmas Day menu. It's usually snack foods plus a main dish. No one eats the main dish so I'm tossing that into the metaphorical garbage.
Asking my family for suggestions isn't helping, they tell me to make whatever I usually make. That's getting boring! My go-to's are bruschetta, roasted red pepper dip, vegan spinach and artichoke dip, and deviled eggs. What kinds of dips/appies are your favorites? Bonus points if you share the recipe :D

Vegan Garlic Dough Balls

Last edited:

vickyday

Love my O Family!
CHEERY O
:dinner:

I am looking to shake up my Christmas Day menu. It's usually snack foods plus a main dish. No one eats the main dish so I'm tossing that into the metaphorical garbage.
Asking my family for suggestions isn't helping, they tell me to make whatever I usually make. That's getting boring! My go-to's are bruschetta, roasted red pepper dip, spinach and artichoke dip, and deviled eggs. What kinds of dips/appies are your favorites? Bonus points if you share the recipe :D
What about those little sausages in the grape jelly and chili sauce mixture in the crockpot. Mark and I will be home alone, lol, so I'm thinking about easy peasy finger foods and crockpot things we can snack on whenever our tummies say we can eat.

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
Some tips for you, Chris!!
- Quail eggs with yogurt and curry sauce
- Shrimp kebabs with blue cheese
- Mushrooms stuffed with ham and almonds
- Mini toasts with cheese, smoked salmon and chives
:xmas8:

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
This is fancy looking and so easy to make. Baked brie - I posted this picture in the Sweet and Savory thread I started. You cut it in wedges like a pie.

It's a large "round" of brie, covered with Crescent Rolls and baked until the rolls are lightly browned on top. Serve with cherry jelly, or the red and green pepper jelly. I always garnish it with cranberries herbs, too. Some recipes call for the jelly on top of the brie before you bake it, but I don't do that. Serve it on a pretty Christmas plate and it's a show stopper.

baked-brie.jpg

janedee

We do appies for Christmas Eve dinner. This year it’s my turn to host, so I‘ll be following this thread too.
So far I have a shrimp ring with sauce, chicken wings and dip, baked Brie with pepper jelly (going to try Cheryl’s idea with the puff pastry this year). I’d Like to add something veggie too, but not sure what yet.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
What about those little sausages in the grape jelly and chili sauce mixture in the crockpot. Mark and I will be home alone, lol, so I'm thinking about easy peasy finger foods and crockpot things we can snack on whenever our tummies say we can eat.
Hmmm, I used to make them with the small cocktail meatballs, not sausages. But now you have me thinking. I have Beyond Meat Sausage in my freezer. I wonder if I sliced them into rounds and then cooked them in the jelly/chili sauce.
I am off to google that right now!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Some tips for you, Chris!!
- Quail eggs with yogurt and curry sauce
- Shrimp kebabs with blue cheese
- Mushrooms stuffed with ham and almonds
- Mini toasts with cheese, smoked salmon and chives
:xmas8:
That is all way fancier than anyone in my family would eat. I could give them each a bag of potato chips and sour cream and onion dip and they would be completely satisfied :rotfl:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I *think* my mom is doing a baked brie at her house on Christmas Eve- that is a big favorite here. I like it best plain with crust but have also made it with almonds and raspberry preserves. If my mom has leftovers I ask her to bring it up the next day.
i added links in my first post so I can get those bonus points :wehaveawinner:

joyfulheartdesigns

Jenn :)
Designer
Oooo...I have SO MANY that I love!! I usually do appetizers only for Christmas Day...so much easier than a big turkey dinner ;) Some of my go-to's are....

My Grandma Harrington's cheese log: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Na567iHp-tAyGXlymHk3klmny4jx-AlCdcfqYOASMb0/edit?usp=sharing

Pizza Dip...I often add a bit extra of the cheeses on this one, and I only use pepperoni on it, and I do not have the Mrs. Dash seasoning so I add extra Italian Seasoning: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oyP4blaFsY6QNtF8nYv7Lsm9qTr0mwjIRTeqpxmgZ-g/edit?usp=sharing

Cream Cheese Bean Dip...again, I often add extra cheese! lol : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jkYFVFSkViRZhzrFBZLfTPKRGD7WgHoM7LNwF6W3I4E/edit?usp=sharing

My Favorite Hummus...this is SO easy to make and it super yummy!! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iErctTiMLdmRwg0ixhMOfEG5D8-SFxMShxRmL4loq6s/edit?usp=sharing

Onion dip...I do the quick and easy sour cream and Lipton onion soup mix packet...still a childhood favorite :beatingheart:

Seasoned Oyster Crackers....when we lived in Iowa, one of the gals from church made these and they are SO yummy!! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ft1uSD4X6lce8IHbVxeTWeUtM3iK9dcXdXG2huPTz7w/edit?usp=sharing

Cranberry Crockpot Meatballs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XT_KtqgDDWuIsfAEcxes7wV_-6fPvxMm1jfdDBalDJI/edit?usp=sharing

Cream Cheese Sausage Balls: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PA5I3Wswit8JYgQ7SKn6SGymkzALzUuK-FVpLJJpjRQ/edit?usp=sharing

vickyday

Love my O Family!
CHEERY O
Oooo...I have SO MANY that I love!! I usually do appetizers only for Christmas Day...so much easier than a big turkey dinner ;) Some of my go-to's are....

My Grandma Harrington's cheese log: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Na567iHp-tAyGXlymHk3klmny4jx-AlCdcfqYOASMb0/edit?usp=sharing

Pizza Dip...I often add a bit extra of the cheeses on this one, and I only use pepperoni on it, and I do not have the Mrs. Dash seasoning so I add extra Italian Seasoning: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oyP4blaFsY6QNtF8nYv7Lsm9qTr0mwjIRTeqpxmgZ-g/edit?usp=sharing

Cream Cheese Bean Dip...again, I often add extra cheese! lol : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jkYFVFSkViRZhzrFBZLfTPKRGD7WgHoM7LNwF6W3I4E/edit?usp=sharing

My Favorite Hummus...this is SO easy to make and it super yummy!! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iErctTiMLdmRwg0ixhMOfEG5D8-SFxMShxRmL4loq6s/edit?usp=sharing

Onion dip...I do the quick and easy sour cream and Lipton onion soup mix packet...still a childhood favorite :beatingheart:

Seasoned Oyster Crackers....when we lived in Iowa, one of the gals from church made these and they are SO yummy!! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ft1uSD4X6lce8IHbVxeTWeUtM3iK9dcXdXG2huPTz7w/edit?usp=sharing

Cranberry Crockpot Meatballs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XT_KtqgDDWuIsfAEcxes7wV_-6fPvxMm1jfdDBalDJI/edit?usp=sharing

Cream Cheese Sausage Balls: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PA5I3Wswit8JYgQ7SKn6SGymkzALzUuK-FVpLJJpjRQ/edit?usp=sharing
Now, these sound like they would be right up mine and Mark's alley! Thanks!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
.I often add a bit extra of the cheeses on this one,

...again, I often add extra cheese! lol
There is no such thing in the world as "extra cheese." There is *always* room for more cheese. :rotfl:
I often tease Caitlyn (vegetarian) about what she is going to do when she gets married (Tom is vegan). A house with no cheese? There are vegan options that are quite good but it's not even close to the same :D She told me that she would keep the house mostly vegan but no way can she give up cheese completely. Or half and half in her coffee. priorities :D

:wehaveawinner: Thanks for all of those links too!! :wehaveawinner:

vickyday

Love my O Family!
CHEERY O
This is fancy looking and so easy to make. Baked brie - I posted this picture in the Sweet and Savory thread I started. You cut it in wedges like a pie.

It's a large "round" of brie, covered with Crescent Rolls and baked until the rolls are lightly browned on top. Serve with cherry jelly, or the red and green pepper jelly. I always garnish it with cranberries herbs, too. Some recipes call for the jelly on top of the brie before you bake it, but I don't do that. Serve it on a pretty Christmas plate and it's a show stopper.

View attachment 409313
I'll bet my Mark would LOVE this!

vickyday

Love my O Family!
CHEERY O

View attachment 409313
Do you have an actual recipe for this, Cheryl, with temps and times and all that?

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Do you have an actual recipe for this, Cheryl, with temps and times and all that?
It's super simple, Vicky.

1 "round" of brie cheese (I get a larger size so it serves more)
1 can of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
some melted butter
a pastry brush

Put the brie in a baking dish (I don't remove the "shell".
Tear the crescents into triangles
Cover the brie completely with the triangles
I just work with the dough to get all of the triangles to come together and then I brush melted butter all over it with a pastry brush
Bake per the instructions on the Crescent Roll container. As soon as the dough is light brown, it's done.
Note: I let the brie set out for an hour or two before I start. You don't want it to be cold when you start.

Also make sure all of the "triangles" have been smoothed out - I "pinch" and "pull" mine and work with it. (That's the hardest part LOL.) When it's done baking, I cover it with foil, then when I'm ready to serve it, I transfer it to a pretty Christmas plate. You can garnish it with cranberries and some fresh herbs, but this is optional. They make red and green pepper jellies that I always buy and put in little dishes. They're not terribly spicy, and they're fun for the holidays. You can also use any kind of jelly or some recipes call for chutney. I don't get that fancy. My family loves brie and bread, so it's a hit with them.

The picture I posted had garnish on it because we went to a friend's house one Christmas, and she had all of that fancy stuff. LOL I usually just do the jellies.

Last edited:

joyfulheartdesigns

Jenn :)
Designer

some melted butter
a pastry brush

I just work with the dough to get all of the triangles to come together and then I brush melted butter all over it with a pastry brush
Bake per the instructions on the Crescent Roll container. As soon as the dough is light brown, it's done.
Note: I let the brie set out for an hour or two before I start. You don't want it to be cold when you start.

Also make sure all of the "triangles" have been smoothed out - I "pinch" and "pull" mine and work with it. (That's the hardest part LOL.) When it's done baking, I cover it with foil, then when I'm ready to serve it, I transfer it to a pretty Christmas plate. You can garnish it with cranberries and some fresh herbs, but this is optional. They make red and green pepper jellies that I always buy and put in little dishes. They're not terribly spicy, and they're fun for the holidays. You can also use any kind of jelly or some recipes call for chutney. I don't get that fancy. My family loves brie and bread, so it's a hit with them.

The picture I posted had garnish on it because we went to a friend's house one Christmas, and she had all of that fancy stuff. LOL I usually just do the jellies.
This sounds YUMMY!! Pillsbury has the Crescent sheets now...I wonder if that would stretch out far enough without tearing, and be easier than pinching the triangles together?

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
This sounds YUMMY!! Pillsbury has the Crescent sheets now...I wonder if that would stretch out far enough without tearing, and be easier than pinching the triangles together?
Oh I'm sure that would be even better, Jenn. I guess I didn't know they had those. You could also use filo dough. I'll look for those Pillsbury sheets.

vickyday

Love my O Family!
CHEERY O

some melted butter
a pastry brush

Thanks, Cheryl!