Oscraps

Do you have fiber optic internet?

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
We live in an area where there was only one choice for internet. Now there is another choice and soon there will be yet another choice. We will be getting fiber optic internet in about a week. Our internet now can be really slow and intermittent. Can you tell a difference between fiber optic internet and traditional internet? I am hoping it will be faster and more reliable. We are also ditching streaming through the cable company and will use other providers. What providers do you use? We are looking to cut our bill down.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
We have fiber optic and it is fast. I think the lines are underground so less outages than the other internet/cable we used to have with above ground cables.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
We have fiber optic and it is fast. I think the lines are underground so less outages than the other internet/cable we used to have with above ground cables.
That would be fantastic! I am so excited! Once I got a message telling me that a kit I was trying to download would be ready in 12 YEARS , 3 months and so many days! I teased the designer and told her I would be late getting my layout in! It didn't take twelve years but it took hours because the internet kept cutting out.

• Wow
Reactions: AZK

bcgal00

CHEERY O
That would be fantastic! I am so excited! Once I got a message telling me that a kit I was trying to download would be ready in 12 YEARS , 3 months and so many days! I teased the designer and told her I would be late getting my layout in! It didn't take twelve years but it took hours because the internet kept cutting out.
Hopefully you will have the same quick speed that we have. I think with our fiber optic we have a designated bandwidth (or whatever its called) and don't share so we don't get speed lagging when lots are on the internet in the area. Hopefully you will have the same thing.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Hopefully you will have the same quick speed that we have. I think with our fiber optic we have a designated bandwidth (or whatever its called) and don't share so we don't get speed lagging when lots are on the internet in the area. Hopefully you will have the same thing.
They said we would have our own private line so I was excited about that!

LSlycord

Yes we have fiber optic and it is quite reliable and fast. This thread made me remember the days of the dial up modem. Oh how times have changed.

janedee

We Have fiber optic here and it’s amazing how much better it is than our old satellite internet which was very unreliable. The only issue for us is that the cable is above ground here as it’s pretty rural but so far it has t been a big problem.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
We Have fiber optic here and it’s amazing how much better it is than our old satellite internet which was very unreliable. The only issue for us is that the cable is above ground here as it’s pretty rural but so far it has t been a big problem.
That is good to know. Our cable will be above ground as well. I am hoping that won't be a problem.

scrap-genie

We had DSL and even upgraded wasn't very good with a lot of Zoom sessions. We finally upgraded to fiber optic and no longer had unstable Zoom and I couldn't believe how quickly kits downloaded -- seconds instead of minutes. Ours is also above ground but we've had no problems so far.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
We had DSL and even upgraded wasn't very good with a lot of Zoom sessions. We finally upgraded to fiber optic and no longer had unstable Zoom and I couldn't believe how quickly kits downloaded -- seconds instead of minutes. Ours is also above ground but we've had no problems so far.
That is wonderful to hear! Ours will be above ground as well. It is getting installed tomorrow!!!! I am soooooo excited!

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
We have cable internet and it is super fast and stable unless you are on the WI-FI and 5 people are on at the same time. We sometimes had 18 devices on and it was still really fast but the WI-FI could go a little wonky. It seems like my Daddy has fiber in his neighborhood but hasn't taken the plunge. I shall have to convince him to do it and I'll pay the extra.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
We have cable internet and it is super fast and stable unless you are on the WI-FI and 5 people are on at the same time. We sometimes had 18 devices on and it was still really fast but the WI-FI could go a little wonky. It seems like my Daddy has fiber in his neighborhood but hasn't taken the plunge. I shall have to convince him to do it and I'll pay the extra.
That is so sweet for you to pay the difference for your dad to get fiber optic!