Oscraps

Courtney's Art journaling recipe challenge 4/15-4/30,2017

CourtneyDesigns

I liked the rules because they were things I normally use. I always have trouble when I have to include flares or brads or buttons! This AJ page has been on my mind recently. I live in the same county as Bill Gates, and got to wondering how the richest man in the state (country? world?) could get along without people who laid tile and carpet and hardwood floors in his house. Or serviced his cars. On a scale of Ace to King, I think I'm about a 3. Stay-at-home moms/grandmothers don't have much value in the eyes of the world. And yet, what would the world do without us? I am not a "people person," and frequently get a not-so-subtle put down because I'd rather spend the evening at home than at a party. Recently when I was playing solitaire (on my computer--taking a break from tagging scrapping elements!), I got almost to the end, but a two of hearts was buried. For lack of a two, the game was lost. Turns out that in that case, the two was of more value than a king! We are all valuable in life, whether we are twos or kings. We each have our place. The "kings" should be less smug. The twos should be less envious.
04-15-17_Recipe_Takes_All_Kinds_copy.jpg

https://ozone.oscraps.com/gallery/s...ney-27s-aj-challenge-takes-all-kinds&cat=1658

Amazing work here! One of the best things I love about art journaling is how to convey a message or feelings using art and words!

CourtneyDesigns

Since there were only three rules and they were open to a fair amount of interpretation, this seemed like it should be an easy challenge, but that also makes it harder (for me at least) to finalize my choices and call the layout done! I love art journaling, but I am still new at it and never completely satisfied with my work. :)
On this layout, I used 2 scribbles (around photo and date) with solid colors clipped to them. I also blended a solid paper with another more artsy paper to create the background. I used brushes for the chevrons and the cascading leaves in the lower right corner. It was also fun to play with a lot of blending modes; I used them on almost every layer.

This is wonderful! I'm so loving the pinks here!

CourtneyDesigns

Courtney Designs Coexistence, Welcome to Manhood Brushes and Starry Dreams Elements
I used solid papers from Welcome to Manhood and Starry Dreams, Scribbles from Welcome to Manhood and Brushes from Starry Nights.
coexistence2.jpg

I love this! Love how you colored in the stamp and the message you have here for boys!

CourtneyDesigns

INSPIRED

Everything is from Courtney’s Designs. I began with a plain paper, and added two "Ornate" brushes, then played with blending modes & embossed. Added the head, and a scribble which I recolored with a paper overlay. Added the two "Blue" clusters.

This was a simple challenge, but I bet it leads to lots of variety in the responses. I enjoyed it.

This is just gorgeous! I love it! And, we hope to make this more challenging with time :).

CourtneyDesigns

I tried reading F.Scott Fitzgerald many years ago, and found it tough going. But we recently watched Zelda: The Beginning of Everything on TV, and I was intrigued enough to give it another go. The only book I could find at the library for my Kindle was "The Beautiful and the Damned." As I feared, it was just plain boring at the beginning, and there were no characters to like. (The book seems very autobiographical.) FSF seems so in love with his writing, I had trouble following the story. But finally, he got a bit past himself, and I began to find some interesting quotes. For a self-absorbed man who had strayed far from (if not rejected) his religion, he actually got the idea behind this quote pretty biblically accurate. Again, I'm intrigued enough with his writing that I will probably read another of his books (or two), but my original opinion, so far, stands: He's overrated!
04-2017_Recipe_Desire_copy.jpg

https://ozone.oscraps.com/gallery/s...courtney-27s-recipe-challenge-desire&cat=1658

I love the simplicity of this. Really makes the quote really stand out and I do love that quote! I love how you really make these meaningful!!

CourtneyDesigns

Recipe: scribble is from Starry Dreams Scribbles, brush is from Out of the Ordinary bundle, and the solid paper background is from Out of the Ordinary bundle—all by Courtney’s Designs
Full credits in the Gallery

Oh wow! Love all the black and white and then there little pop of blue in her eyes! Amazing work!

CourtneyDesigns

Wonderful recipe. Credits here. I used a patterned background paper with a solid paper overlay that I used various watercolor brushes to blend into the background. Brushes are from Courtney's Clock Making CU brushes. Papers, elements and scribble from Old Hollywood and WA from Starry Dreams

This is just amazing! It almost reminds me of steampunk in a way. Love how you used the elements on the girl and your Lomo of the page!

ouisiekelly

Very nice challenge. I used a solid paper and added lots of elements and brushes. Some of the brushes were embossed. The woman was treated with multiple filters.
The-dancer-and-the-moth-web.jpg

The dancer and the moth

Last edited by a moderator:

NancyP

WOW did I have to do some configuring!!! In what I own of Courtney's, I had no solid paper, no scribble and no brush!! I made my own solid paper by taking a brown color from Courtney's background paper and adding a filter then making the wording from it. The scribble is from Anna Aspnes and the brush is from Kitty Designs.
NOW----I have a question I hope you all can help me with. I am very literal!! If an element doesn't say BRUSH, even though it looks like a brush, I consider it not a brush. Example; the face in my layout from Courtney's CAREFREE looks like a brush to me, but it didn't say brush so I didn't count it as my brush. The squiggle verticle line down the left side of the paper looks like a scribble to me; but it said stitches, so I didn't use it for the scribble. Would you call them a brush and a scribble? Could I have used them for a brush and a scribble rather than look elsewhere??? WHEW, did you get all that???? Just wondering if I get too stressed out over what things are and following directions to the letter.

https://ozone.oscraps.com/gallery/s...itle=courtney-27s-art-journal-recipe&cat=1658
Courtney_s-Art-Journal-Challenge.jpg

scrapinmom

CHEERY O
Wow Nancy- you sure did work hard for that one! I wouldn't stress over the names of elements. I think the stitch looks like a scribble and the face does look like a brush, so it would have been fine. Just have fun! Great layout and thanks for playing!

Ingerlise- lovely layout. How old is Madeline now? I have watched her grow up in your layouts!

Luisa- i love what you did- love the filters on the girl

Sharron- very unique layout and cute!

NancyP

Thanks, Sharon, I know, my being so literal causes me lots of stress sometimes. If a purple painting is on the wall with a sign that says; this painting is blue, then I believe that its blue!!! Crazy, I know!!!! You know, like ---if its on the internet then it must be true? Yeah, right!!!!!!
Just want to comment on how awesome all these layouts are. I enjoy looking at them all and seeing the wonderful artistry we have here at OScraps.

CourtneyDesigns

WOW did I have to do some configuring!!! In what I own of Courtney's, I had no solid paper, no scribble and no brush!! I made my own solid paper by taking a brown color from Courtney's background paper and adding a filter then making the wording from it. The scribble is from Anna Aspnes and the brush is from Kitty Designs.
NOW----I have a question I hope you all can help me with. I am very literal!! If an element doesn't say BRUSH, even though it looks like a brush, I consider it not a brush. Example; the face in my layout from Courtney's CAREFREE looks like a brush to me, but it didn't say brush so I didn't count it as my brush. The squiggle verticle line down the left side of the paper looks like a scribble to me; but it said stitches, so I didn't use it for the scribble. Would you call them a brush and a scribble? Could I have used them for a brush and a scribble rather than look elsewhere??? WHEW, did you get all that???? Just wondering if I get too stressed out over what things are and following directions to the letter.

https://ozone.oscraps.com/gallery/s...itle=courtney-27s-art-journal-recipe&cat=1658
Courtney_s-Art-Journal-Challenge.jpg

This is really beautiful Nancy! Don't stress over it...it's all for fun! But, to answer your question, yes. If it looks like a brush or a stamp though it's an element, you can use it. I put them as elements sometimes because I alter them in some way that can't be conveyed in a brush. Great work!

And, just so you know, I have loads and loads of scribble brushes ;)