Oscraps

*closed* NBK Design - Recipe Challenge April 17-23

janedee

Hello and welcome to this month's recipe challenge which features a Spring theme this month, along with using at least two styles from Nicole's wonderful style sets..

My challenge to you is to use the following items on a layout. You may use as many more items as you like, but each one from the list must be included.

1. Spring Theme
2. Use at least two styles on your page.
3. A Frame
4. A Doodled Element
5. A Quote
6. A Loopilooza

I ended up going a little crazy with the styles on my page. I applied a style to the grungy frame, to the word art and also to the little flowers.
Usually, I like to keep this challenge fairly straightforward but I thought some of you might like to know the process behind creating the flowers. I was inspired to make them by a class I took this weekend and Nicole's beautiful Art and Nature Foliage Brushes are perfect for them. Although the process used in the class was somewhat different, I thought using styles would work too, so here's the method I used to create the flowers in PSE14, however, please don't feel that you have to create flowers for the challenge.

1. I loaded up the Art and Nature Foliage brushes, created a new layer and stamped one of the flowers on that layer. I then applied a layer mask, resized the brush deleted the inner part of the flower. If you want to give the inner layer a slightly different look, you could try smoothing/refining the edges before you delete or using a different brush. Simplify the layer when you are happy with your flower shape.
2. I then stamped the same brush in a slightly smaller size on a new layer and applied a style by going to styles, load styles (drop down menu to the side) and loaded the Art and Nature Watercolor Styles. You could also free hand brush the interior of the flower with a small water color brush. With a couple of the flowers, I simplified the layer so I could apply a blending mode to the inside of the flower.
3. For the leaves, I stamped the leaves on a new layer, then created a layer below them and freehand brushed in behind them, then applied another style.
4. If you want more of an oil paint look, you can load the Art and Nature Impasto Styles, then you don't need to delete the inner part of the black background on the flower brush.

NBKRecipeApril-600.jpg

I used the Art and Nature Collection, Urban Garden Word Art and a Loopilooza from Space Night.

some examples from the Ct
by Danesa
i-7hRrfF2-L.jpg

by Trish
Recipe-Challenge1.jpg

Prize: You can win a $4 coupon in the Recipe Challenge!
Rules:
• Make a layout which includes all the items in the recipe.
• Layout needs to contain some NBK Design products.
• Layouts need to be uploaded to NBK GALLERY by Sunday, April 23, 2017 11.59 pm CST time.
• Layouts need to be linked back to this thread by Sunday, April 23, 2017, 11.59 pm CST time.

Enjoy! I can't wait to see your layouts.

Last edited by a moderator:

janedee

Oh no Jean and Lou!!!
I didn't realize some software doesn't allow you to use styles!
Are you able to recolour brushes and add texture too them? I was just hoping to tempt people to try something a little different with their brushes.

01lousmith

Oh no Jean and Lou!!!
I didn't realize some software doesn't allow you to use styles!
Are you able to recolour brushes and add texture too them? I was just hoping to tempt people to try something a little different with their brushes.

Jane,
Yes it is a bit frustrating at times to see these wonderful products in store that would life easier and designs more interesting and not be able to use them. But hey that's the compromise with using a free software! :)
Yes i can definitely recolor brushes and add texture, so I shall try it!
Thanks.

janedee

Thanks so much to everyone who participated this week. There were some wonderful pages posted.

Congratulations to our winner for the week: Marijke

I will PM you the GC code.