Oscraps

Climbing out of Crib...what to do!?

lmccandless

My two year old has finally decided that the crib isn't too high for escape attempts. She climbed out about 7 times at bedtime last night, which ended up being 2 hours later than normal. She was so proud of herself that she was really wound up! LOL Then, she climbed out again at about 3:30 this morning. Needless to say, we're both exhausted today. My older daughter never climbed out, so my experience is limited here. Other than sitting in her room until she goes to sleep, I need some other ideas!!

Cat

O' whip cracker whip
hmm, when both my kids did that, it was time for a big bed LOL. Believe me Laura, the novelty will wear off, for her right now its a game. Maybe consider getting a bed and attach a rail to the side.

Another thing to consider is the 3 step sleep technique which I tried with Jamie and it worked. We had a chat with him, brought in the reward chart, his fireman moved up towards the fire truck each night he slept through then he got a new car from the carz movie, now he sleeps right through the night.

The three step sleep technique, is 1, if she gets out of bed, pick her up and say 'its time for bed sweetie, night night and see you in the morning'

2, if she gets up again, tell her firmly, its bed time you need to sleep.

3 if she gets up again, dont say a word, just pick her up and put her to bed, dont look at her, or say a thing to her.

You may need to repeat step 3 on a few occassions in the early days, I recall it took us 20mins at first with Jamie, but he soon got the idea that mommy doesnt like his game ;)

Bush Girl

Well, I guess that's the end of the cot then! My daughter started climbing out at 2.25 yrs whilst wearing her sleeping bag, then hopping down 4 flights of stairs, so not only the cot, but the lovely bag had to go before she broke her neck.

We put a barrier up across her door that she worked out how to climb over in 15 mins (remove drawers from chest of drawers, mince round carefully ironed & folded clothes into a nice mess, stack drawers at an angle thus creating staircase. Hop over - brilliant, but infuriating!). Long story short, we had to repeatedly put her back into bed night after night using the same calm words (it's bedtime now. Go to sleep) until we were told about the Sleep Fairy, who only comes to children who .....insert problem (go to bed nicely, in our case) and she leaves a treat to be opened in the morning in parents room. And I was advised "make it chocolate - it works a treat." It did. And the Sleep Fairy was required for about a year.

My daughter was an absolute nightmare, but as you already know, they're not all like that. Both my boys climbed over their cots, so I instantly removed the drop side to create a small "bed" with lots of "gosh you're in a big boy bed now". Both needed to be returned to bed on a number of occasions in the first week or so (yes, it was exhausting) but they did stop escaping pretty quickly.

The buying of the big boy bed or bedding was quite a good incentive and I found with the boys at least, putting one of those barriers that prevent them falling out of a big bed really helped with the feeling of security. My daughter remained a nightmare until the age of 5, well, actually she was pretty awful last night, and she's 8 and a half - but I really think this is her willful nature because the boys have been quite different. I did spend many an evening outside her room returning her to bed using the same quiet words, sometimes 20 times a night, no exaggeration - a large glass of wine helps! But as I said above, the boys took really very little time to get sorted and have remained pretty good ever since. And bribery REALLY works.

Anyone want my 8 yr old? Am happy to trade - dog prefered - LOL!

lmccandless

She's my last one and even though she might be ready for a bed, I'm not...I still want my baby in a crib! *Sniff sniff* Although, I am sure you ladies are right. I guess it's time.

katg1006

Laura ((hugs)) Yes...it's time and I know exactly how you feel!! Harder for us Mommies then the little ones!! They grow up way to fast!

NicosMommy

wow, I am not looking forward to this!! MY son is almost 1yr old, and he is still learning to sleep thru the nite!! I feel for you though Laura, I still like it when he lets me feed him his bottle because he's my baby!!!!!!!!! ;-(

My best friends 2 yr old climbed out once, feel on his head, and never did it again. he is almost 3 and still in his crib. On the other hand, my other friends son is 2 1/2, started climbing out at 18 months and has been in a big boy bed ever since. although that was a night,are because he didnt understand to stay in his bed at bedtime......yikes.
I guess you just have to think that the safer she is the better. I hope you have a better night tonite and dont be upset!!!

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
I had a side rail for my daughter's crib, so we switched to that so that she wouldn't hurt herself. Then the problem was keeping her in her room. For awhile I would stand by the door and hold it to make sure she couldn't get out of that. A few times she fell asleep in front of the door. Then I went to this website and bought some locks for her door. http://www.kidsafeinc.com/product/B2006/Child_Proof_Deluxe_Door_Top_Lock.html
They are pretty cheaply made but they work. We found that they work the best if you attach the peg on the side of the door opposite the hinges about 3-4 inches in. That allows for less give in the plastic. These locks gave us peace of mind because we also don't have to worry abouttrouble she might get into if she wakes up and decides to play and not wake us up. We don't want to worry about her getting under the sink or anything like that. It is a hard thing emotionally to put a lock on your child's door but it saved our sanity in the end. That's what worked for us.

dabittymama

Sad to say but I agree...big girl bed time. Once mine figured it out that was all she wanted to do. We moved her into big girl bed the novelty wore off and she stayed in her BGB great. Now we have to keep her OUT of her sister's crib though, she just likes to cuddle and we find them asleep together sometimes...sigh at least they are both asleep but I think Sadie might get the idea in her head to climb out as well and she's not two yet!

hollie h

Yep, time for a bed. Get her involved. Maybe have her help pick one out or maybe let her pick new sheets. A trick I used to keep Jason in bed was to put the nightlight on a timer and he was not allowed to get out of bed until it turned off (you decide the "wake-up" time.) He is 5 and it still works! Rewards for staying put work too!

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
Oh, the cool thing about the side rail for us is that Addie loves to crawl into her own bed. We have a stool by it and so she climbs up, she kneels down for prayers then she climbs to the top and lays down for bed.