Oscraps

Bird Call ID help please

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I know it will be almost impossible for you to help but maybe I can get lucky here.
There is a bird that calls loudly outside my window most mornings and I want to figure out what it is.

Background:
I live in Northern New Jersey and I hear the bird very early, usually right around dawn. It makes a laser gun sound. Not the small pew-pew-pew. But a long and loud PEEWWWWW followed by another PEWWW, same volume, but slightly shorter. It's also a one-and-done. I use the Merlin app but the time I open the app and set it to Sound ID, it doesn't happen again. Definitely not like the wrens who sing for hours.
I'm hoping that someone might be able to give me a few possible IDs to get started and then I can listen to the calls/songs on Merlin to narrow it down.

I know this is a big ask and my description isn't the most detailed/complete but I appreciate any ideas or IDs you can toss out. Thank you!

MariJ

Ohhhh.. Chris - sorry... I was going to suggest the app but I see that doesn't work for you. I'm going to ask someone I know who identifies birds well, but I'm not sure that will be successful.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Ohhhh.. Chris - sorry... I was going to suggest the app but I see that doesn't work for you. I'm going to ask someone I know who identifies birds well, but I'm not sure that will be successful.
I appreciate you trying. Have you ever heard one like that yourself? I rarely hear it other than early morning and usually once in a single time frame. That's what so frustrating-- that it's over and done before I can even get my phone out and then I won't hear it again until the next day.
Chris, check out this Youtube as it may help HERE
TY for the link! I like how it is broken down in the comments by bird and time. I'll listen to that while I am scrapping today

mimes1

CHEERY O
is THIS it?
My other thought could be a mockingbird - they're early risers and can take on any number of vocalizations.

MariJ

Well, if anyone would know it would be Amy the bird-lady expert! @mimes1
I thought at first cardinal but it seemed yours is louder, Chris. I haven't heard anything like what you described, trying to hear it in my head! @faerywings

Well, maybe Amy will have to visit you to hear it and then we all can take a trip to the shore. :D :beach1:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
is THIS it?
My other thought could be a mockingbird - they're early risers and can take on any number of vocalizations.
Maybe it's a variation of the cardinal... I hear the "normal" pew pew pew but this one is dramatically louder and isn't repeated. I'll keep listening!

BoatLady

I use an app called Merlin to identify bird calls. I got the app for all locations in the US because we are traveling. I have been able to identify so many birds that i have never heard before .....Amy and Mark were the ones who turned me on to it and I thank them so much it's a wonderful app.
If the bird seems to come by at the same time...get set up and wail for it.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Everyone going to Chris' house??? I'm in! It's a bit of a road trip from here so it might take me awhile to get there :)

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I use an app called Merlin to identify bird calls. I got the app for all locations in the US because we are traveling. I have been able to identify so many birds that i have never heard before .....Amy and Mark were the ones who turned me on to it and I thank them so much it's a wonderful app.
If the bird seems to come by at the same time...get set up and wail for it.
That's a great idea to have Merlin ready to go. Of course, I didn't hear it this morning...

BoatLady

I'd help but I'm in Utah now but next year our trip will be from Florida to CT and NY so I can stop then..LOL

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
I would do anything to take the plane :airplane: and meet you Chris, but also this unknown bird :giggle4: