Oscraps

ADVICE Needed - To Photoshop or not..

ClaireG

CHEERY O
Hello Ladies!! I am still in London, BUT I have been trying out a trial of Photoshop and shock horror I LOVE IT.
BUT I am still wrestling with the fact that I have to subscribe and will never 'own' it. I have been using PSE for the last 3 years and I think I am far enough along in my journey to need full photoshop now.
I have 3 days left on my trial.. what do you all think I should do? Do you think it is worth the $9.99 a month.. am I just being super dooper stingy?!

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
Here's what I think: I have Adobe Creative Cloud, and I have the photography/creative package. I could not afford to buy all the programs for YEARS that I will get for 59.00 a month, plus upgrades to the newest each time. Yes, it's like leasing, but if you're one that likes more programs and upgrade to the newest - it's very cost efficient.

Photoshop alone costs 699.00 - so at 9.99 a month it will take you about 6 years to get to the buy it outright price. By then, you'll probably want to upgrade, then you'll have to pay again.

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
I'm thinking like this: I have PSE11, and I will not change it. Ok, I can't do all fancy new things, on the other hand, I have to learn work arounds, and I sort of learn more. But then again: I'm cheap as f*** - I will not spend money unless it's really really necessary.

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
I have a subscription to PScc and have not regretted it for a minute ... i have always been a photoshop user ... from version 3 ....
The subscription also includes lightroom and bridge ... all my photos are in the catalog with keywords ...

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
I get this question a lot and I always respond with a question. What is it that you cannot do in PSE that you think you are missing out on by not having the full version of PS? Yes, there are some differences, but over the years, PSE has incorporated more and more of them - clipping masks, grouping layers, and the warp tool for example. For me, because I use a Wacom Pen tablet, the ability to assign my own shortcuts in PSCC is invaluable, because I can then assign those shortcuts to various functions on the Wacom, which as a designer is a huge benefit and time saver.

I only use PSE for recording tutorials and think that for most scrappers, it is more than adequate. Don't get me wrong, I love PSCC and after a tremendous argument with myself over the subscription thing back when it first started, I went for the original PS/Lightroom $9.99 package and don't regret it at all.

I know FOMO is a huge motivator so I just encourage scrappers to think carefully about how they scrap and what they "need" to do, versus what they think they can't do with PSE.

pachimac

CHEERY O
I get this question a lot and I always respond with a question. What is it that you cannot do in PSE that you think you are missing out on by not having the full version of PS? Yes, there are some differences, but over the years, PSE has incorporated more and more of them - clipping masks, grouping layers, and the warp tool for example. For me, because I use a Wacom Pen tablet, the ability to assign my own shortcuts in PSCC is invaluable, because I can then assign those shortcuts to various functions on the Wacom, which as a designer is a huge benefit and time saver.

I only use PSE for recording tutorials and think that for most scrappers, it is more than adequate. Don't get me wrong, I love PSCC and after a tremendous argument with myself over the subscription thing back when it first started, I went for the original PS/Lightroom $9.99 package and don't regret it at all.

I know FOMO is a huge motivator so I just encourage scrappers to think carefully about how they scrap and what they "need" to do, versus what they think they can't do with PSE.
My reasoning for choosing PS over PSE has to do with automation.

Now I fully understand my argument may be outdated as I made my decision many years ago.

PS allowed me to do things from scratch - specifically drop shadows. PSE had it automated and they couldn’t be tweaked or adjusted. I despise the default shadows that PSE had, and with photoshop, I could use their base, tweak it, and then save it as an action.

PSE had great bells and whistles but no ability to tweak them. Choosing PS helped me to learn to do things on my own, and to personalize actions and presets.

Also, being in an Adobe user group back The early 2000s hlelpes me to see just how deep PS is, and that even Masters of PS know how to use maybe 40% of what it had to offer. So much to learn!!!!!

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
I started with Photoshop 3, many years ago, and I still love PS today and can't imagine using anything else.

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
My reasoning for choosing PS over PSE has to do with automation.

Now I fully understand my argument may be outdated as I made my decision many years ago.

PS allowed me to do things from scratch - specifically drop shadows. PSE had it automated and they couldn’t be tweaked or adjusted. I despise the default shadows that PSE had, and with photoshop, I could use their base, tweak it, and then save it as an action.

PSE had great bells and whistles but no ability to tweak them. Choosing PS helped me to learn to do things on my own, and to personalize actions and presets.

Also, being in an Adobe user group back The early 2000s hlelpes me to see just how deep PS is, and that even Masters of PS know how to use maybe 40% of what it had to offer. So much to learn!!!!!
Yes - that's a definite downside to PSE - you can't create actions or save tweaked styles. The workaround for the styles is to create a PSD with all of your preferred styles on the various elements you would use them on and then open that and copy the style you want to the page you are working on.

I totally agree that PSCC is way more advanced and in the end, much more useful — and that most will never even skim the surface of what it can do. I think it's an individual thing and everyone should choose what works best for them once they've figured out what they really need.

pachimac

CHEERY O
Yes - that's a definite downside to PSE - you can't create actions or save tweaked styles. The workaround for the styles is to create a PSD with all of your preferred styles on the various elements you would use them on and then open that and copy the style you want to the page you are working on.

I totally agree that PSCC is way more advanced and in the end, much more useful — and that most will never even skim the surface of what it can do. I think it's an individual thing and everyone should choose what works best for them once they've figured out what they really need.
Exactly! I know for me, I wanted to grow in my skills, so I felt PS was the best choice. Some people just want it simple and easy and looks good, and that's fine too! We're all different and want different things from our software. That's why I am so happy that we have choices! :)

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I am another happy Photoshop subscriber here and like many I had PSE for years........... but then I discovered all the arty actions that can not be run on PSE so it is PS for me for a long time yet! :) I thing I LOVED in a couple of upgrades ago, what the Transform tool, with PSE you did NOT have to hold down any keys to transform an object's size.......... I hated PS for a long time as you had to use the silly Shift+T to get the transform handles but then it became the same as PSE and I was over the moon!!! lol!! It's the little things, sometimes! lol!

ClaireG

CHEERY O
All of these thoughts have been super useful. I went for the $9.99 PS/Lightroom package, as that is all I need. @wombat146 I am still using shift+T - tell me how to NOT have to do this please, after PSE it is super frustrating

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
All of these thoughts have been super useful. I went for the $9.99 PS/Lightroom package, as that is all I need. @wombat146 I am still using shift+T - tell me how to NOT have to do this please, after PSE it is super frustrating
Claire, when you open Photoshop, up the top , under the menu bar, you just need to click the Show Transform Controls:
1669899955009.png

and under the Edit/Preferences menu, just check that the Use Legacy Free Transform is unchecked. :)
1669900051577.png

Attachments

• 1669900025808.png
    1669900025808.png
    26 KB · Views: 0

LSlycord

When I came back to digital scrapping, I wasn't at all sure that I would stay. So rather than invest in a new version of PSE, I decided I would try PScc on a monthly trial. Well, here I am! I stayed...and I will be staying and I am still using PScc because I'm used to it and I like it. With the scrapping you do Claire, you will love it!

ClaireG

CHEERY O
When I came back to digital scrapping, I wasn't at all sure that I would stay. So rather than invest in a new version of PSE, I decided I would try PScc on a monthly trial. Well, here I am! I stayed...and I will be staying and I am still using PScc because I'm used to it and I like it. With the scrapping you do Claire, you will love it!
Linda, I think this is really the best compromise and I am already loving it. I am just itching to get back to Florida, so I can add in my fave styles etc!

zanthia

CHEERY O
Hello Ladies!! I am still in London, BUT I have been trying out a trial of Photoshop and shock horror I LOVE IT.
BUT I am still wrestling with the fact that I have to subscribe and will never 'own' it. I have been using PSE for the last 3 years and I think I am far enough along in my journey to need full photoshop now.
I have 3 days left on my trial.. what do you all think I should do? Do you think it is worth the $9.99 a month.. am I just being super dooper stingy?!
why not try one of the elments addons that give you photoshop functions - one is only 12 bucks( but is version specific) , the other one is more but it will last you longer should you change pse versions

cfile

@ClaireG Hope you are liking PSCC :) I figure at 33 cents a day I am worth it.. What I like is it is constantly upgrading with the newer stuff so you will always have the newest stuff available with the photographic package. I have PSE for teaching purposes (I am with PSE15 and have not updated) but I have that as a backup. I have been doing the $9.99 a month now since the beginning and I am not disappointed. It was a great decision :) I hope you are enjoying as well!