Oscraps

.abr files no longer compatible with 64 bit processors

jodegaard

As Apple will soon be transitioning to total 64bit processor compatibility, I know that my .abr files (and I have tons of them) will no longer work on my MacBook Pro. Apple's "cure" for this is to contact the developer.

Is there any discussion at OSCRAPS about updating these files, or has anyone discovered a workaround?

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Hi Jodie, I haven't heard anything, but I will PM Vicki Robertson as she is an Apple girl. :) I don't use Macs so totally in the dark. :)

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
As Apple will soon be transitioning to total 64bit processor compatibility, I know that my .abr files (and I have tons of them) will no longer work on my MacBook Pro. Apple's "cure" for this is to contact the developer.

Is there any discussion at OSCRAPS about updating these files, or has anyone discovered a workaround?

Hi there. I’m a designer at Oscraps and have been using a Mac for 15 years. I’ve already upgraded to the new OS (Catalina) and you’re correct, it only supports 64 bit applications. That does not apply to ABR files, which is simply a file type, it only applies to applications. All of my ABRs open just as they always have and I’ve made several sets of ABR files without issue.

I’m not sure where you got that information but I haven’t seen anything at all that mentions problems with ABR files - I’d be interesting in seeing what you found.

Prior to upgrading, I followed the instructions in the lower portion of this article to see which applications I had installed that would not be compatible - you probably want to take a look. For me it was only scanner drivers, which Epson updated as soon as the Catalina was installed. There are one or two issues with Photoshop CC that Adobe will addressing in upcoming update. But that’s all I’ve found so far.

Let me know if you have any questions.

https://setapp.com/how-to/apps-that-will-stop-working-once-you-upgrade-to-macos-catalina