Oscraps

I'm Curious...

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
when did you start digital scrapping? It seems like a lot of us are long-timers here. I started in 2007 with Photoshop 4, I think. My husband is a graphic designer and he had Photoshop and just dumped me in front of the computer and said "PLAY!" I had no idea Elements existed at the time, and honestly, I'm glad it didn't because I learned so much by doing things in Photoshop. Nothing was really automated back then. Now that hubby isn't working in graphic design so much anymore (well, he is, but he has to use PC and Corel Draw, which he hates) I have actually taught him a thing or two.

What's your background? How long? What tools do you use?

Veronika

oh- I started Photoimpact in 2002, wanted to edit my photos, to learn the program better, I took a course in a graphics forum, then I learned PSP and then in 2005 I learned Photoshop - and then I just worked with it and created many cute figures and elements in German forums, then learned to paint in PS and got into scrapping around 2010, but very slowly and very insecurely - I only really learned to love it from around 2015.
Then I also came to the English-speaking shops and forums and learned a lot here - and am still learning more.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I was a paper scrapper for years and never thought about anything else. In about 2010, I started "playing" and really got the bug when Becky Higgin's Project Life APP came out for iPhone. I had an Android at the time and only switched to get that app. I made a lot of 8x8 books just with her app. She even printed the pages - you just sent them to be printed right on the app. I got my iPad about that time and used it because it had a bigger screen. I used to scrap wherever I went.

Then, I wanted more, so started dabbling in digital art and I already had Photoshop Elements.

timounette

CHEERY O
I started in 2003 with Photoimpact when I was waiting for Virgile.
Then I started using Photoshop 4 in 2004.
I always scrap in a clean and simple style. I started here with a Joanne Brisebois challenge and never stop since that time.
Then I began as a Cheery O's in ???? I can't remember. a long time ago.
Now I ise photoshop 5.

*sylvia*

♥→o←♥
CHEERY O
I started with Photoimpact in 2005 and switched to Photoshop a little later. I was active in German forums, did courses, also learned to paint in PS ( @Veronika your lessons were the best :) ).
I am using Photoshop 2022.

pachimac

CHEERY O
oh- I started Photoimpact in 2002, wanted to edit my photos, to learn the program better, I took a course in a graphics forum, then I learned PSP and then in 2005 I learned Photoshop - and then I just worked with it and created many cute figures and elements in German forums, then learned to paint in PS and got into scrapping around 2010, but very slowly and very insecurely - I only really learned to love it from around 2015.
Then I also came to the English-speaking shops and forums and learned a lot here - and am still learning more.

I don't know that I've heard of Photo Impact. Is it still being used?

pachimac

CHEERY O
I was a paper scrapper for years and never thought about anything else. In about 2010, I started "playing" and really got the bug when Becky Higgin's Project Life APP came out for iPhone. I had an Android at the time and only switched to get that app. I made a lot of 8x8 books just with her app. She even printed the pages - you just sent them to be printed right on the app. I got my iPad about that time and used it because it had a bigger screen. I used to scrap wherever I went.

Then, I wanted more, so started dabbling in digital art and I already had Photoshop Elements.

So do you still scrap on your iPad or do you use a computer?

LSlycord

I started as a paper scrapper when my oldest niece and nephew were little...so about 1993. I loved it and we had no kids so as long as I did it in a spare bedroom, I could leave bits and pieces out behind a closed door. Then, my own kids came along in 2005 and I didn't have the luxury of leaving all of the pieces behind each time I wanted to do something different. I was in a group of mom's who had adopted children from China that were doing digital scrapbooking and I was hooked. I found Oscraps and here I am.

Of course, there was a 10 year hiatus while this old lady tried to work full time and be an involved mom to her kids. But here I am now, with the intention of lining my empty nest with digital scrapbooking supplies.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
So do you still scrap on your iPad or do you use a computer?
I scrap on my computer, although I have a couple of scrapping apps on my iPad/iPhone It's just easier with a mouse. I was going to try to learn to use Procreate on my iPad, bought the program and even bought a stylus. That's still on my to-do list. I find using a mouse so much easier. I scrapped on it and my iPhone for a long time, though. I definitely got my money's worth with the Project Life app. There are still a few apps that I use, though - Pic Collage is one I use a lot.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Linda @LSlycord I started paper scrapping in 1993, too. My oldest GS was born that year and my DD drug me to a Creative Memories party. I was hooked - instantly and haven't stopped since.

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
I started in 2006 but at different places no longer around the digi world anymore, found Oscraps in 2007 and have made this place my home! I was helping our daughter re-coup from viral encephalitis that she contracted in 2000 and still taking her to rehab and various therapies. I decided that I should make a scrapbook about her life and being digital meant that I did not have any mess to clean up in between running to therapy and scrapping her story. I did manage to print out the scrapbook of her life, and so happy that I did! I really should continue where I left off all those years ago. A lot has happened since 2010 when I printed off her book! Back then I was using photoshop elements not sure which one though. Now I love my Photoshop CS6 and perhaps one day will upgrade, but not right now.

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
I started with traditional paper scrapbooking in 2007 - while I was pregnant with my son I signed up for a beginner's course...... I wasn't good with paper and glue so, although I loved the idea, I didn't actually like doing it. I discovered digital in 2012 - with a trial version of Craft Artist - now a legacy software that still has a large number of users and I was surprised one of the designers here- Lynn Anzelc - still offers kits in this format. Digi was a totally different game and I've been hooked ever since...

DesignsByCRK

Designer
I started paper scrapping in '99. I started digi scrapping in early in '07 and never went back. I started selling in my first store November of the same year.

pachimac

CHEERY O
I love reading about all our journeys and how we all ended up here!!

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
I started paper scrapping back in 1998 and became an art rubber stamp demonstrator that year. I taught classes in it for several years. I ran across a digital scrapbooking site in about 2004... and fell in love. I used PrintShop to begin with. I tried a 7-day trail of PhotoShop a few years later but thought it was too complicated. Then I learned about PSElements and I was hooked. I have been on Creative Teams since 2006 - both designer and sites... many of them have since closed. One of my designers started selling here at OS in 2015. I joined the OS CT in 2018.

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
I started with PS and scrapbook in 2009 - very basic ....I've never used an other program than PS.

I think I've used all versions from photoshop 3 onwards ... and as soon as the PS CC was there I switched almost immediately. At that time I was a student in evening classes and was able to enjoy a student license ...
I took two photoshop courses ... one for creative applications and a second course was part of the photography course ... one half of the school year was taught LR - after that you could register to take PS for photographers.

Kythe

CHEERY O
In 2000 I found digiscrapping by accident while browsing the internet. I saw all the wonderful artwork and researched how they were made. I was told PSE was the best way to start so off I went searching for as many freebies as I could find, bought a few kits and taught myself how to scrap. Soon I was finding sites with challenges and competed for creative team positions. From there I worked for both stores and specific designers. I found my home at Oscraps at the same time as Kay as we moved here together.

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
i think 2006
i spent one summer with paper and glue and switched to photoshop elements, still use elements

pachimac

CHEERY O
So, how many of us started out building our stash with freebies from Shabby Princess??

Nickel

Feeling Owsome at the O!
CHEERY O
I still have Shabby stuff on my (old) hard drive! I searched for something else and I discovered a very early freebie from @VickiStegall (2008). I want to go to my bed so my scrap story 'll come tomorrow!

Last edited:

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I began paper scrapping in 1997. I was pretty active for several years. In fact, for two or three years I had a scrapbooking display at a local family history fair. In 2006, I decided to give digiscrapping a try so that David would leave me alone about going digital. I was certain I would hate it. Boy was I wrong. I quickly went a 100% digital and never looked backed. I started out using Gimp. I switched to Photoshop CS5 in 2011 when I got my Mac because at the time, Gimp did not play nice with OS X. (I actually preferred Gimp to PSE. I tried a couple of different PSE versions while using Gimp and always went back.)

I have plenty of Shabby Princess on my oldest EHD. I also have a kit from @VickiStegall called Monochrome Blonde and some papers called Distressed Bohemian and both are dated April 2006.

scrap-genie

I started digital scrapping in 2004 using a book on the subject featuring Paint Shop Pro which was my photo editing software (and still is though much later version.) In 2006 DH told me about an online class at cnet which I took. The last assignment was to explore online shops and post there. I found one which was my main site until it closed in 2010. About that time I won a prize to pick one out of a few designers for freebies. I picked TaylorMade which brought me to Oscraps. Been here ever since. My first subject matter was family history but quickly expanded topics.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I started out the same as many of you. I began paper scrapping around 1999 but had the same trouble scrapping with a 3 yo and a 1 yo. I would put them both down for a nap-but by the time I dragged the supplies out and got organized, they were ready to wake up. I started using Print Shop and Creatine Keepsakes software to print out elements/journaling/word art to add to my paper pages. Occasionally, I would make an entire page on the computer and print it for the books.
I guess it was around 2004-2005 that all of the freebies and blogs were popping up online. That is how I found Vicki. I stalked her blog.
@scribler I have several of Vicki's old freebies Distressed Bohemian is one of them-- ;) I think I keep them as blackmail material in case Vicki ever decides to ban me from here " Don't ban me or I am going to show everyone your kits from 20 years ago! Bwuahahahh!
My first CT were for Ronee Parsons and Carla Gibson ♥

janedee

Like many of you, I also started as a paper scrapper back in 2001. When I discovered 2 Peas and joined some of the challenges there, I started seeing digital pages that were artsy (Rhonda Farrer comes to mind) and I fell in love with that Style. Then Jessica Sprague offered some classes on PSE/PS which gave me an intro to digital scrapping. After that I took Jana Morton's classes in Blending/Compositing which really helped me. I can’t remember what version of PSE I started with, maybe 3. My first CTs were Emily Abrahamson (Polka Dot Pixels) and Dianne Rigdon.

Last edited:

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I did a little Gmail search to see if I could determine my first CTs. (I've been using Gmail longer than I've been digisccrapping.) My first were Steph Broccolo and AndreaDesigns. Steph sold at Scrap Outside the Box. I don't remember where Andrea sold.

pachimac

CHEERY O
I did a little Gmail search to see if I could determine my first CTs. (I've been using Gmail longer than I've been digisccrapping.) My first were Steph Broccolo and AndreaDesigns. Steph sold at Scrap Outside the Box. I don't remember where Andrea sold.

I've been trying to remember mine. I know I was DYING to get onto Gina Cabrera's CT - but I did get a guest spot twice so that was nice! I can't seem to get into my gallery at DigiShopTalk, or I'd be able to get their names. It was my only gallery for years.

Recently I was on the GingerScraps Site CT, Dagilicious, Seatrout Scraps, Mandy King, Created by Jill, Dianne Rigdon, Ronna Penner, Mo Jackson, Shabby Miss Jenn, Kathryn Balint, Clever Monkey Graphics. I know I'm missing quite a few but I can't get into my DST account gallery to see the names. I hated it when they changed forum themes. I never went back. ALL my beginning scrap pages are there.

Last edited: