Oscraps

The SchoolMarm
Miki

The SchoolMarm

I took a few liberties when creating this page. While reading articles on the 1918 pandemic, I came across a letter written by Frances Dyke to her husband (who was in the war) about teaching school during the pandemic. The teachers taught if the school was opened or not get paid. No teacher unions to fight for them like in current times. I also used a photo of my grandmother which was taken around the same time period. She was never a teacher, but I thought she looked like a schoolmarm.

Anna Aspnes
Artplay Palette Embers (new August 28, 2020)
MultiMedia Branches 17 (new August 28, 2020)
Embers WordART Mix 1 (new August 28, 2020)
Embers FotoBlendz 1 (new August 28, 2020)

Layered Edge Overlays 2 Layered Edge Overlays 2
MultiMedia Documents 3 MultiMedia Documents 3
MultiMedia Birds 1 MultiMedia Birds 1
Warm Glows 2 Warm Glows 2

Schoolhouse (purchased iStock image)

Process
Artsy paper 3 from APP Embers was used as the foundation of the page. The photo of the school house was clipped to a fotoblendz mask. The image of my grandmother was extracted, duplicated with the blending mode changed to soft light (reduced opacity). A warm glow was clipped to the image with the blending mode changed to color burn with opacity reduced. This gave the image an aged look. The paper was placed behind the image with the headlines attached. The copper paint transfer from the kit was clipped to the paper, giving it an aged look, also. The clock from the MM Branches 17 was added. The page was completed by adding journaling, word art, several transfers and splatters from the kit and dimensional embellishments.

Thank you for looking!
Love love love this! The research. The way you made this history so personal. The design and heritage colors. I wonder if they got paid extra when they worked those extra Saturdays. :)

Love the liberty you took with your beautiful heritage page. Yes, she does look like a wonderful school marm. I always thought the 1918 influenza was much worse than what we are going through now.

I love the liberties you took to create this - a striking photo of your grandma and she could be a teacher for sure! love the school house blending! awesome page!

You've connected the past with today in your usual charming way. And, wow, look at the small waist on your Grandmother.

Layout information

Category
Anna Aspnes
Added by
Miki
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this layout