Oscraps

Starting Over
pom

Starting Over

• pom
Starting Over

Neill was not breastfed as a baby.

Back then, who knows how much I could have pocketed if I got a penny
everytime somebody gave me a you're-not-trying-hard-enough look.

My breast milk didn't come when Neill was born and for the whole first week
we pretty much starved him because I was so determined to breastfeed.
We really didn't have anything else prepared in case I couldn't do it.
I had read so much about the advantages of breastfeeding
and wouldn't give my son anything but the best.

Well, turned out I couldn't give him that.
I extended the hospital stay but in the end even the doctors and nurses gave up
(without really saying so) and suggested that he should be given full-on formula.
I couldn't even describe how much it hurt.

I know it's nobody's fault and it couldn't be helped. But sometimes I want to scream,
'Enough with the look and don't try to make me feel less of a mother because of it!'

I would have given anything though, to go back and start over with all the breastfeeding struggles.
But it just can't be done. That day when I gave Neill his first full bottle, I felt defeated.
Then I realised that I was holding on to my ego instead of his needs.

That day, we started over together.
I learned that being a mother doesn't only mean pushing for the best, but also accepting the truth.
And I hope Neill learned that eventhough it might not always work out in the end,
I'd fight tooth and nail to give him the best I possibly can every single time.

Credits:
Studio Doodelle's kit 'Anew'

Inspired by a blog post by MommaTrish
this is just beautiful pom! i love the soft design, and your journalling is so raw and inspirational. I can relate to your journey and just wish everyone could accept that, for the most part, mums are doing their absolute best, and quit judging!

This is truly amazing... I love your journaling and can totally relate!! Wonderful work!

wow, Pom, it hurts ...........
Thanks for sharing.
Love your page, love the truth!

beautiful layout to match beautiful words. don't let any judgments from others make you feel like any less of a mother. do what you can and don't stress about the rest ;)

amazing layout- powerful journaling- I was able to take my son home, but 2 weeks later he was diagnosed failure to thrive as he grew in length but not weight. He thrived on formula, too!

I just saw your lo and I have to say, it touched me immediately. So sweet from the outside and also the inside. I can imagine what you were going through. But luckily, I could give my boys breastfeeding. With some difficulties in the beginning. But we made it through, luckily!
And I'm sure your boy got all the love he needed when he was a baby!

Layout information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
pom
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this layout