fastener-61-shabby
nbk-alessio-ABP-artsybits01
Anna Aspnes APP Family_Transfer4 and 12x12Border
Anna Aspnes_ArtsyTransfersGentleMorning_4
snickerdoodle-commencement-bling DigiScrapParade_2016
Kate Pertiet_TypeInspiration031216-1

Font: CK Bella

Journaling:
Sadly, I don\'t have too many warm fuzzy stories or memories of my mother, but maybe the best thing she ever did for me was introduce me to rollerskating when I was only three years old. She was a widow and could not afford a babysitter for me, so she took me with her to Rollerland, where she met Ole, who eventually became my stepfather. They quit skating, but I kept it up into my twenties, and was a pretty good dance skater. Whenever Pete, the organist saw me come on to the floor, he played "The Birth of the Blues," because he knew I loved to dance the Dench Blues. One of the worst times of my young life was when Rollerland burned down. No other rink had hardwood floors and live organ music.

After raising our children, I took up skating again, and went at least once a week well into my fifties.

Ironically, this is the only photo I have of my mother rollerskating, and there are no photos of me skating. It was the only activity she and I ever had in common, and she never saw me skate as a teen or adult.
Sharron, I was telling you just the other day on Instagram how talented you are... skating/dancing, Autoharp, golf, art...! So sad your mother missed out on the one common link you shared. And then Rollerland burned down...heartbreaking. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Layout information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
SharLamb
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this layout