Oscraps

Red Shouldered Hawk
vickyday

Red Shouldered Hawk

Journaling reads: What a nice surprise of spotting this red shouldered hawk in the trees in the back yard. Such a beautiful bird! About as majestic as an eagle, in my opinion! 8/26/23
Credits list
Countryside Digital Art Kit by Lynne Anzelc
Fonts Brush Script and American Typewriter Cond.
Photo is mine
Designer(s) Used:
  1. Lynne Anzelc Designs
  • Love
Reactions: joyfulheartdesigns
Beautiful hawk, I bet you were SO happy to capture this photo!!! We have them over here, as well, but it is rare to be able to photograph them since they seem to spook so easily!! I must say, they are not my favorite bird because they try to eat my actual favorite smaller birds...but they ARE spectacular to look at, for sure! About a month ago, I saw one of my favorite little "hairy woodepeckers" acting weird on the branch of one of my feeder trees, hiding upside down on the bottom side of it, and constantly moving...I bent down so I could see further up out of the window, and sure enough, there was a big hawk sitting on the branch above the one he was hiding under!!! I went outside right away and scared it off...I just didn't want it killing my birds or any chipmunks that might be around....I wish the hawks would take care of some of the annoying squirrels we have here, instead...UGH. I used to like squirrels. I still think they are cute animals, but they TRASH my bird feeders.

Beautiful hawk, I bet you were SO happy to capture this photo!!! We have them over here, as well, but it is rare to be able to photograph them since they seem to spook so easily!! I must say, they are not my favorite bird because they try to eat my actual favorite smaller birds...but they ARE spectacular to look at, for sure! About a month ago, I saw one of my favorite little "hairy woodepeckers" acting weird on the branch of one of my feeder trees, hiding upside down on the bottom side of it, and constantly moving...I bent down so I could see further up out of the window, and sure enough, there was a big hawk sitting on the branch above the one he was hiding under!!! I went outside right away and scared it off...I just didn't want it killing my birds or any chipmunks that might be around....I wish the hawks would take care of some of the annoying squirrels we have here, instead...UGH. I used to like squirrels. I still think they are cute animals, but they TRASH my bird feeders.
AMEN to all of what you said! I think the squirrels are cute, too, and fun to watching playing in THEIR OWN TREES away from my feeders! The hawk I saw in our back yard dropped to the ground from one of the trees and got something but I didn't see what it was. I took this picture as he flew off the ground near my she shed, which he landed on and then looked back to the ground. It might be a good thing that I moved my feeders up next to the house for their sakes! However, I found a way to deter the squirrels.....I started buying HOT bird seed from Wild Birds Unlimited. It took several days for them to get used to the difference, but I have had not one squirrel since! I buy the hot suet cakes and the round cakes of seeds are hot, too! Its a bit more expensive but I buy the no mess kind.....no shells, just all seeds and nuts. I don't fill the feeder completely. Since there are no shells it seems to take them longer to get to the bottom of the feeder.

AMEN to all of what you said! I think the squirrels are cute, too, and fun to watching playing in THEIR OWN TREES away from my feeders! The hawk I saw in our back yard dropped to the ground from one of the trees and got something but I didn't see what it was. I took this picture as he flew off the ground near my she shed, which he landed on and then looked back to the ground. It might be a good thing that I moved my feeders up next to the house for their sakes! However, I found a way to deter the squirrels.....I started buying HOT bird seed from Wild Birds Unlimited. It took several days for them to get used to the difference, but I have had not one squirrel since! I buy the hot suet cakes and the round cakes of seeds are hot, too! Its a bit more expensive but I buy the no mess kind.....no shells, just all seeds and nuts. I don't fill the feeder completely. Since there are no shells it seems to take them longer to get to the bottom of the feeder.
These Alabama squirrels are CRAZY...they even eat the hot seed!!! I was hoping that would deter them, but NOPE, they will chow down on anything I put out there!! :grimreaper: :giggle4: I had a momma raccoon and three babies trashing my feeders about a month ago...she even chased after one of my cats! I started bringing the feeders in at night for a few nights in a row and they seem to have stopped coming around. That could also be due to the fox that was out here a few weeks ago... All three of my suet cake holders have gone missing, as well...I think they ripped them off the trees and took them off into the woods :confused:

These Alabama squirrels are CRAZY...they even eat the hot seed!!! I was hoping that would deter them, but NOPE, they will chow down on anything I put out there!! :grimreaper: :giggle4: I had a momma raccoon and three babies trashing my feeders about a month ago...she even chased after one of my cats! I started bringing the feeders in at night for a few nights in a row and they seem to have stopped coming around. That could also be due to the fox that was out here a few weeks ago... All three of my suet cake holders have gone missing, as well...I think they ripped them off the trees and took them off into the woods :confused:
OH, MY!

Layout information

Category
Oscraps Cheery O's
Added by
vickyday
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata