Oscraps

Polynesian Cultural Center pg 2
J

Polynesian Cultural Center pg 2

Pg 2 of a 2-pg spread.
Journaling reads: When planning our trip to Hawaii, I knew that I wanted to take Jim to the Polynesian Cultural Center. I remembered the center having a really entertaining show in the evening but what I liked most about it was that you really got a chance to learn more about the culture of the Polynesian Islands. When we arrived at the center, we first went to the Canoe Pageant. The canoe pageant had twin-hulled canoes that came down the river with 6 people on them from a certain island on the boat. The announcer would announce which island they were from and then they would do their native hula dance. The islands that were featured are Samoa, Aotearoa, Fiji, Hawaii, Marquesas, Tahiti and Tonga. After the canoe pageant we took a canoe tour through the center to familiarize ourselves with the layout. The center is set up so you can visit each of the islands and learn about their culture and even try your hand at some of their native activities. For instance, at the island of Tonga, Jim was able to try spear tossing! He even won the round that he was in. The island of Samoa featured fine mat weaving, you could even get a Fijan tattoo at the island of Fiji and in Hawaii you could sample poi. After we visited the islands, we went to the IMAX theatre and saw a film about coral reef. From there we went to the Ali'i Luau. We ate traditional luau food (roasted pig, teriyaki chicken, sweet potatoes, lomilimo salmon, taro rolls, pineapple, coconut cake and much more). After dinner we walked around the center a bit more and then settled down for the Horizons show. This show is amazing. It features dancers from each of the islands as well as knife dancing. It begins at dusk so there are a lot of lights and special effects in the show. It is great. Afterwards we did some quick shopping at the gift shop and then boarded the bus back to the hotel. It was a long day but it was really great learning about the Polynesian Islands.

Bikinis & Board Shorts-OScraps
Flowers: Hawaiian Summer-OScraps
Stitching: Theresa Borntreger
Fonts: Eras Medium & FG Christine

Layout information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
jmgriffith
Date added
View count
Comment count