Oscraps

Is that a true story?
lkdavis

Is that a true story?

Funny how stories stay with you over time, an incident with a raccoon while camping, a book I wrote, my grandson's classroom, more than 30 years of time. Photo of my husband and children, 1978; scans from my book, written and illustrated by one of my students in 1990 ; photo of me reading in my grandson's classroom, November 2011

Journaling:
Is that a true story, asked one of Owens first grade classmates after Id finished reading my handwritten, student illustrated book, Why Raccoons Wear a Mask. Well it is based on a true story, I responded. What Owen and his classmates dont know yet is how a writers use life events, events that take place years before, in writing. This is just such a story. I can laugh now at my foolishness, thinking nothing would happen to the food we left outside in an ice chest on a picnic table while we slept in our yellow van. During the night a very clever raccoon opened the ice chest and devoured everything my picky little daughter would eat. We packed up and left that morning. We never camped again!

Ten years later, I embellished this story, modeling a writing assignment for my third graders. Now, more than twenty years later I shared this story again. Owens classmates didnt get my humor describing setting up a camp stove or cooking with no running water, how I dragged my tired aching body out of my sleeping bag at the first light of day, or my reaction to the scene of destruction before me as I put on my glasses, stomping my feet, shaking my fists and yelling for my husband. But I think Owen will laugh, as I laugh now, at this story when he is grown! Journaling June 2012

Credits:
Anna Aspnes_Two Step Template 4 (available Friday)
Anna Aspnes_ArtPlay Palette Great Outdoors (Available Friday)

Anna Aspnes_Wood Shop Alpha 1
Anna Aspnes_Weathered Neutrals
Anna Aspnes_Distressed Overlays 9
Anna Aspnes_Anna Style Shadows 1
Oh, this is funny - love your story!! We once camped in the Olympic Peninsula Rain Forest with two little children - one still in diapers. We complained bitterly about the rain!! What were we thinking?!! LOL I didn't camp any more either! My DH has camped with willing grandchildren. :0)

oh, this layout is GORGEOUS.
Love your story and journaling and the including of the drawings.

this is fantastic ! love the story, the mix of text drawing and photo ...
fantastic use of the template too

Wonderful page, and I love the sort of haphazard grid with the hand drawn illustrations! Just beautiful.

Love how the story has lasted through the years and what a wonderful page that includes the scans and yourself reading to your grandson's class! Wonderful story and page!!

lovely journaling - I think he will love your story as he grows older! love all the additions to the page! - just fantastic!

How wonderful!!!! I love the story of the raccoon and the fact that you have retold it over the year! The drawings are brilliant as is the fabulous photograph of you! :)

Layout information

Category
Anna Aspnes
Added by
lkdavis
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this layout