Oscraps

I Quit
N

I Quit

• NewAdmin
ok, wow... this was a **really** hard one to do... especially that last column of journaling... i cried like a baby while i was typing it. whew. (...was even harder to post... i feel all exposed.) anyway... just a little letter to gage...

JOURNALING: Its been almost 19 years since I tried that first cigarette. Please note here that I was 13 years old. Everyone in my family smoked, (including my very cool and popular older sister) everyone at school smoked it just seemed natural. I was a full-blown smoker by age 14 and was allowed to smoke in front of my parents by age 15. Dont think badly of them smoking back then wasnt near as big a deal as it is today. The health problems associated with it were just coming to surface there wasnt even an age requirement to buy them it just wasnt a huge issue. Anyway I could have quit at any time then. I even did quit for almost a year during my senior year in high school, but I had huge plans at that time that didnt quite pan out the way I thought so out of sheer rebellion, I started back. But as the years went by and more and more breaking news? surfaced, the more I realized that I had a big problem but not necessarily the one you may be thinking of. You see my big problem? wasnt so much that I was addicted it was that I LOVED to smoke. I felt grown up, I felt accepted, and I LOVED having an action? to perform when I was stressed out or upset it just put closure to it I could then relax. I justified it in so many ways. I didnt do drugs, I got good grades, I worked hard, I didnt get into trouble if smoking cigarettes was the worst thing I did I wasnt too bad off. Sigh but now, fast-forwarding to September 2007 wow it is probably worse than most things I could have been doing.

So Dad and I knew it was time. We tried (again) last year to quit cold turkey lasted for 46 days. We were both miserable the ENTIRE time. It was awful. I was literally mad at how hard it was. We hung in there for as long as we could. But low and behold as life would have it stressful circumstances crept in and we broke like twigs. Gage you were devastated. You were so proud of us for quitting and the day I had to confess to you that we had started back probably marked my lowest point ever as your mom. But being as quick to forgive as you are, you gave me a hug and told me you loved me anyway. So, here we are a year later. Nana told us about this new "quitting smoking" drug called Chantix. Dad tried it first. He shelled out $130 bucks for it (hardly the cost of a months worth of cigarettes) and gave it a go. Within 2 weeks, he was down to 3 cigarettes a day another week went by and he quit altogether. He is now in his 8th smoke-free week. I was getting lonesome going outside all by myself to smoke, and was actually intrigued at how easily he seemed to be resisting. So I started taking it within 2 weeks, I was down to 3 a day and a week and later, I quit. I cannot believe how easily it was done taking this medicine. I have barely even thought about it. Ive had several little bursts of cravings, but they were short lived. I am now on my 8th smoke-free day and I must say that I have literally not looked back. I have high hopes and pray on a daily basis that God will continue to strengthen me to win this battle. I know 8 days doesnt seem like much but after 19 years to a creature of habit, like myself that is huge.

So... please let me say... Im sorry for every time I went outside to smoke when you wanted to just keep playing. Im sorry for every cigarette I smoked while I was pregnant. Im sorry for every time I smelled like smoke when you hugged me. Im sorry for every second I set the example that such addictive behavior was okay. Im sorry for every time you heard at school that smoking kills people and you thought of me and worried. Im sorry for every time I blew you off when you tried to warn me. Im sorry for each time you saw me smoke after your warning and wondered if I just didnt love you enough. Im sorry for the years I have probably already taken off of my life that cant be reversed. Im sorry for some of the things I wasnt able to buy for you because of the expense of my addiction. Im sorry, baby. Im so sorry.

**I edited the journaling a tad after i got it from Word to Photoshop, but i can only cut and paste from Word. grrr. it's pretty much the same... i just took out a couple of lines to make the columns line up right.

PRODUCTS USED:

TAYLORMADE: 'A Thing of the Past' mended frame (how perfect is that?!?)
The Beloved PAISLEE PRESS Charcoal paper (BERRY+CHARCOAL kit from Oscraps); PAISLEE PRESS INK+BLOT Vol.2 ink blot
AMANDA!!!!!!!! How incredible!! everything...the LO, the mended pic, the journaling, the QUITTING!!! Congrats, girlie!! Thanks for being such an incredible example you are for, first off, making yourself vulnerable and second, for making a right choice!! (my teenager loves this gallery and will read this...I thank you for that!!)...ok...wiping the tears and going on to the next LO...you're awesome, girl!

Wow, what an awesome piece of journaling. I love your frames and have already used them - they are perfect because it underscores the theme of being broken and mended.

Good luck w/you anti smoking plan...maybe you can add yourself to Healthy O's...

ok the layout rocks...but most of all. you rock! i wish you the best of luck - you will do it this time...because you're doing it for the right reasons. i'm proud of you! that pic is gorgeous! i saw those frames and they are so on my list of things to buy when i have some extra buckage. LOL! GREAT job - good for you!!!

So heartfelt and awesome. Thanks for sharing yourself. And by the way...I miss it sometimes too. But it's certainly better than the alternative!

I'm so thrilled I saw this on Taylor Made blog~! I just copied and pasted the journaling into an email and sent it to my nephews. God Bless!

WOW!!! This layout is beyond stunning! The journaling is exceptional and a heartfelt one at that! This is amazing!

Great Layout Amanda and I wish you HUGE luck. I would rather have sticked pins in my eyes than given up smoking. I like you LOVED to smoke, thought it was great and I did love the action and the rebeliion of it. How dare my parents get divorced without me making my own statement?
Anyway I did give up the day I found out I was pregnant and its been almost 6 years. I have one every now and then. I still yearn to be able to smoke more, I dont think I will ever lose that. However I do not miss the smelly me, the desperate me, the poor me and the most importantly the unhealthy me.
You Go Girl!!!!

Your beautiful page has been featured on the Oblog today, in a story about Pages that Tug at the Heart. TFS!
https://ozone.oscraps.com/?p=2360

Layout information

Album
Life in General
Added by
NewAdmin
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this layout