Oscraps

Favorite Hobby AJ Nov. Wk 1
vickyday

Favorite Hobby AJ Nov. Wk 1

Done for Week One AJ challenge found here: https://oscraps.com/community/threads/november-art-journal-challenge-gratitude-week-one.38635/

Journaling reads: My favorite hobby is knitting. I taught myself to knit in my teen years, using those “Teach Yourself How to Knit” books before the age of YouTube videos. I’m thankful for the videos now, however, when I want to learn about a technique I have not heard of or tried before. Like any craft, there is always room for improvement and learning better ways of doing things.
Sometimes I find a project I just have to try, which was the case with this sweater. I rarely take on a project like this, especially if I don’t have the right yarn. But, I had lots of this yarn that I wanted to do something with. The pattern called for bulky yarn and the yarn I wanted to use was the normal worsted weight. Researching the internet said if I doubled the yarn I had it should work. So I began. I did not “waste time” knitting a swatch to check the gauge. That was my first mistake. However, after knitting the recommended rows for checking the gauge, it was OK.
The sweater pattern was easy and I finished it quickly! I liked the chunky, loose fit. It was perfect to wear over my pajamas to keep my casted arm warm. However, I had not yet washed it. When I did wash it, the sweater stretched and is humongous now! Not sure what happened! But I can still use it as a wearable blanket! As the artist, Bob Ross, would have said, “It’s just a happy mistake!” I’m ok with that! 11/15/23
Well it sure does look COZY, Vicky!! I like that color, too! That is CRAZY that it stretched out in the wash...usually the opposite happens!!! :rotfl:Love Kay's "sweater that grew"...hilarious!! VERY pretty layout :beatingheart::beatingheart::beatingheart:

Oh, Vicky... what a tale about the 'sweater that grew'. Love the journaling and fantastic photos.
Thanks, Kay! I was so surprised at the way the sweater grew! Normally, if a sweater is going to do anything in the wash/dry process, it will shrink! The yarn is so much softer now, too!

Such a funny story. Love the result, it sure does look cozy. Love the layout, especially that comfy chair, looks perfect to sit in wearing your comfy sweater.

That is quite a knitting project! Looks wonderful! It must be wool. Wool will relax when it first gets wet. I knitted a fine wool shawl for my daughter's wedding, and it nearly doubled when I wet it (which was good). I think it will shrink in a dryer, but I'm no expert. I prefer to work in acrylic - it's cheaper ;-) And I never do swatches - waste of time :)

That is quite a knitting project! Looks wonderful! It must be wool. Wool will relax when it first gets wet. I knitted a fine wool shawl for my daughter's wedding, and it nearly doubled when I wet it (which was good). I think it will shrink in a dryer, but I'm no expert. I prefer to work in acrylic - it's cheaper ;-) And I never do swatches - waste of time :)
You're a woman after my own heart! I prefer the cheaper yarns, too, unless I happen to find a good deal at a thrift shop. Just say NO to swatches! ;) :heartpumpred:
I'm pretty sure the yarn for this project was acrylic, but I'm not positive. But given my preference to purchasing cheaper, I would venture to say it isn't wool.

Layout information

Category
Art Journal
Added by
vickyday
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename