Oscraps

Courage
F

Courage

I did this page in response to a challenge to scrap something that I was afraid of . . . PEOPLE.
Photos: Leora Bunce, Harold Fullerton, unknown
Kit: Carpe diem by WordArtWorld and Aprilisa
Extras: Multiple brushes by Anna Aspnes, and Anna's word art class (Loved that class!!)
Fonts: Arial Narrow, Ballerina Script Regular, Graphite Std Light Narrow, Caroline Medium, 1942 Report
Journaling: From a one room school house, to graduating from Michigan State University with a Masters degree in Nursing, was a very big step and took more than 45 years of courageous challenges. When you live in a small farming community, you have little chance to really see what the world is like. I was intent on going to college, but my science and math teachers were all men and did no encourage me to go into anything in areas that I excelled in. My typing teacher saw that I was good at business skills, so she encouraged me to attend college in a secretarial program. Unfortunately, once I learned what there was to know, I was bored. So, I tried a few other ideas and became easily bored. I then looked at all of the many professions and decided that medicine had the most variety of choices. As a young woman, I was terrified of having to work with PEOPLE, and even more so if they were likely to die. So, I gravitated to nursing instead, thinking that would be safer--in my mind anyway. I then proceeded to graduate from nursing school in 1982, and worked as a nurse for many years. As I learned and grew, I knew that I was capable of much more, so I started a very long process of going back to school for my bachelors degree, from California State University, then my Masters Degree from Michigan State University in 2004. By this time, I was just a hair short of being 50 years old. Through my career as a Nurse Practitioner I continued to learn and grow and ultimately am working with cancer patients and patients with the bone marrow transplant team.
It took me many years to get to the place where I am today. Except for the stress of trying to go to college and work at the same time, I enjoyed the process. Even though I was terrified, my choice of working in the medical field all those years ago, was a very good one. Even if it took me 35 years to reach my goal!! 12 years later, I am contemplating retirement. I have cut to shorter hours and less days a week for now. I may continue working at least part time for several years. It is hard to think of giving up all that I have worked so hard to accomplish, but there are so many other things out there that I would like to be able to learn and participate in. So, who knows what I will ultimately decide to do with my career, and life goals. . .
Only time will tell.
awesome page and love the journaling! congrats on accomplishing your goal! love your photos!

Love this type of page over time, and your story. I feel sure your path will unfold easily in front of you, as it did for me.

Wonderful journaling and sequence of photos! Something to be very proud of!

congratulations on your achievement. life is one big classroom, isn't it? adore how you've captured your journey. and enjoy your extra time off.

Wonderful page and beautifully done. Your journaling and story are inspiring. I'm a nurse (my second career) and I can relate. Do enjoy your time off............nursing is tough job for sure!

Layout information

Category
Anna Aspnes
Added by
fullterr
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this layout