Oscraps

#3: Heritage
zlemon

#3: Heritage

I never knew about my Texas roots until I moved to Texas—although they were long rumored in the family. A distant Uncle claimed we came from a cattle ranching family; and much to my surprise, he was right. I found this article and photo about my 3-times great grandfather. (Not sure about the greats, but it's my best guess.) The photo was a badly damaged ambrotype, an early glass negative, that was professionally restored. J. W. was a cattleman who once owned 25,000 head, a merchant of a dry goods, groceries and hardware store, the first mayor/sheriff of Waterford, TX, and a Texas Ranger who kept the territory safe from Comanches. He also married twice and fathered 13 children. Information gathered from the Curtis Family Papers found in the Special Collections of Texas History at the University of Texas Libraries, Arlington, TX.

Oh, my grandmother always said we were related to Daniel Boone, but no-one took her seriously. She was a known embellisher of facts. But now I wonder...

Used Anna Aspnes' template from the FotoInspired Template Pack and APP Fare.

Thanks for looking.
Designer(s) Used:
  1. Anna Aspnes
I love this...love the story and that you found it only after you moved to Texas. Can you imagine 25,000 head of cattle? That's just crazy! Great documentation on this page.

Great piece of family history found and brought to life again! A true Texan, ranch owner, Texas Ranger, sheriff! Love the sepia tones and red stitching!

Very fascinating layout, and having the photos and document to confirm his life is really fabulous! Love the red frames and stitching.

Wow! What a photo find! Love that newspaper and the 3* use of the photo. Fascinating piece of your history.

Fabulous find! Daniel Boone? It would definitely be worth researching...I believe there are many truths in the oral histories shared by family!

My goodness, this is a fabulous find! I can lose myself for hours in Ancestry.com and My Heritage researching family stuff! Great page and maybe your Grandmother was right - keep researching! x

Loved reading the journaling about your greaaaaaaaaaat grandpa!
I know someone who is related to Daniel Boone!
Wonderful page!

Layout information

Category
Challenge 3
Added by
zlemon
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata