Oscraps

Anyone use ACDSee and have issues with their database?

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I recently moved all of my scrap supplies from one hard drive to another and moved them using ACDSee, not Windows. That should have kept all of my metadata intact.
When it was done and I tried scrapping, I couldn't use the Catalog to find items, only very few files would show up. I re-cataloged all of the folders, the same problem. But if I clicked on any file, those tags were there, just not searchable through the Catalog Pane. Then I restored to a previous database, but the opposite problem came up, I could search through the Catalog pane, but clicking on those files-- the tags were gone. Then the catalog disappeared, it went back to the default categories.
I deleted that DB, exported an older one to the new drive, then imported it. It looked like it worked until I tried to back up that DB. It would just hang. I optimized the DB and whew- It backed up.
Only the tags are gone again.

I am at my wit's end, I have searched the ACDSee forums, Google searched for other forums and I am not finding anything. Right now, I am restoring to an even older DB but I doubt it is going to do the trick. I will email Support in a bit.

Any ideas or suggestions??

janedee

Oh my Chris - sounds awful! I have had the problem (after moving hard drives) of not finding things in the catalog but the tags being there when I looked at the items. I did the same thing you did and went to Tools/Database/Catalog files for each main folder/subfolders and that solved the problem. I'm not sure why that didn't work for you. I don't think I've ever had the opposite problem of having the items in the catalog but not tagged - I don't even know how the database would know to catalog them if the tags weren't there. Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Thank you!! I think I have some of it figured out and am now recopying everything.
*fingers crossed it works this time*

zanthia

CHEERY O
thats awful chris - seems they never changed that,
that why i never used it as i use a 3rd party program as my file manager . I did buy it many many years ago and it did have some nice features but you had to be so careful with tagging or rather moving files.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
When it works, it works wonderfully, I have a hard time scrapping without it.
OTOH-- when it doesn't work.... it makes me want to fling it all out the window.

I am halfway through copying over just my Oscraps folders-- so far, so good but I am knocking on wood until it is done

Thanks!!

Kythe

CHEERY O
Karen Shultz (formerly Snickerdoodle Designs) knows a lot about that program

Last edited:

Adryane

aA Creative Team Member
When it works, it works wonderfully, I have a hard time scrapping without it.
OTOH-- when it doesn't work.... it makes me want to fling it all out the window.

I am halfway through copying over just my Oscraps folders-- so far, so good but I am knocking on wood until it is done

Thanks!!
My feelings exactly! TWICE, I've had to redo all my tagging. I will never upgrade because of the transfer problems. I always keep a backup of my catalogue. There are still items that show up as an image but are "not there." I have to go to the original zip folders and copy them to the catalogue and re tag. BUT, when it's working, I'm a happy camper.