Oscraps

Why do we have a Mixed Media area and what is it?

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
We have a Mixed Media section of our Art Journaling forum because many of our members present create "in real life" art, or are interested in doing so — and many of us create physical art journal pages.

What is Mixed Media? Some creatives work in only one kind of media - perhaps watercolors or oil paints. The term "mixed media" refers to any art that uses a variety of art mediums in one piece. For instance, for one of the first pages in my 2020 art journal, I used acrylic paint, alcohol inks, a white paint pen, rubber stamps, printed tissue paper, a butterfly sticker thing, a piece of blank book paper below the printed text, a magazine photo and some acrylic in for the paint spatters you see.

This is the section of our forum where you can share your mixed media artwork and ask questions and help each other learn.

vicki-robinson-2020-art-journal-01.jpg

scrap-genie

I'm curious about including mixed media here as that is what my non-digital work is. Or mixed media collage. I'm not doing art journaling even though it often contains writing that I turn into mostly unreadable design. My most recently finished piece (below) has no writing but the current in-the-works project does. Your example is wonderful!
drawing-102-surrounding_mat.jpg

Vicki Robinson

Designer
I'm curious about including mixed media here as that is what my non-digital work is. Or mixed media collage. I'm not doing art journaling even though it often contains writing that I turn into mostly unreadable design. My most recently finished piece (below) has no writing but the current in-the-works project does. Your example is wonderful!
View attachment 363125
That’s absolutely gorgeous!

Nickel

Feeling Owsome at the O!
CHEERY O
View attachment 363125
Sometimes I go to your blog to see your stunning art work! Amazxing!

Nickel

Feeling Owsome at the O!
CHEERY O
Glad there is a place where I can show my irl artwork, mostly mandalas!

mom2triplets04

We have a Mixed Media section of our Art Journaling forum because many of our members present create "in real life" art, or are interested in doing so — and many of us create physical art journal pages.

What is Mixed Media? Some creatives work in only one kind of media - perhaps watercolors or oil paints. The term "mixed media" refers to any art that uses a variety of art mediums in one piece. For instance, for one of the first pages in my 2020 art journal, I used acrylic paint, alcohol inks, a white paint pen, rubber stamps, printed tissue paper, a butterfly sticker thing, a piece of blank book paper below the printed text, a magazine photo and some acrylic in for the paint spatters you see.

This is the section of our forum where you can share your mixed media artwork and ask questions and help each other learn.

View attachment 363120
Beautiful. I occasionally do painting in my art journal.

mom2triplets04

View attachment 363125
beautiful.

mom2triplets04

This month I learned how to make a willa journal out of fabric. I did the cover all by hand doing slow stitching. Inside I put a various amount of papers to use art (junk journal) for 2022. The class I took did book binding stitches inside of the papers but I turned mine into a travelers notebook so I could take the pages out and work. Some of the pages I used my sewing machine to add tags of fabric and ribbon. I plan to use the inside for 2022 art journaling

Attachments

• B37AEE9F-478E-4281-A91F-1990287ED9A2.jpeg
    B37AEE9F-478E-4281-A91F-1990287ED9A2.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 6

mom2triplets04

I also learned how to make these paper snippet rolls from the same willa journal class. I used cocoa daisy papers and have been using it to journal in my gratitude journal. I want to make a fabric one soon. There are tons of tutorials on youtube if you want to learn. this is made of paper and stitched on my sewing machine.

Attachments

• BF863032-0DE7-4FB2-92AE-F55E98150F6D.jpeg
    BF863032-0DE7-4FB2-92AE-F55E98150F6D.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 5

Vicki Robinson

Designer
This month I learned how to make a willa journal out of fabric. I did the cover all by hand doing slow stitching. Inside I put a various amount of papers to use art (junk journal) for 2022. The class I took did book binding stitches inside of the papers but I turned mine into a travelers notebook so I could take the pages out and work. Some of the pages I used my sewing machine to add tags of fabric and ribbon. I plan to use the inside for 2022 art journaling
Oh very cool! I’m not taking that class because if I make ONE more journal the weight of the e tire universe might collapse! I love those snippet rolls though! Are you in the Fodder School?

mom2triplets04

Are you in the Fodder School?
I don't know what Fodder School is. I am a stay at home mom now. I lost my job because of Covid. I follow willa journal on instagram and I have always loved her books and I was already slow stitching so when she had her black friday sale on her class I took the plunge and finally bought her class. I knew most of it already but the snippet roll was new to me. So I did learn a bit so it wasn't a waste. I haven't written in the journal I made this month I figured I would use it in 2022. I'm trying to finish up December Daily for December and doing the advent for the first time with a facebook group and in Jan starts a new one little word and I think I'm going to read the bible again with the facebook group I'm doing the advent with. I never finish it so it will be fun to see how far I get in 2022.

Amandajk

Cheryl tipped me off to this thread. I do fiber/textile arts. A lot of weaving, but also wearable artful garments. I've been dyeing fibers, fabric, painting fabric. Only done one silk piece- need to order silk but that is tricky these days. I want to do batik. I have all the supplies for it minus silk. Haven't tried it on cotton yet. That is a Summer project as it can be pretty messy so I reserve it for outdoor art time. Some of my weaves are here. Other art is also on this page, I finally put the photos into "albums" on my page, lol! :D @Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Cheryl tipped me off to this thread. I do fiber/textile arts. A lot of weaving, but also wearable artful garments. I've been dyeing fibers, fabric, painting fabric. Only done one silk piece- need to order silk but that is tricky these days. I want to do batik. I have all the supplies for it minus silk. Haven't tried it on cotton yet. That is a Summer project as it can be pretty messy so I reserve it for outdoor art time. Some of my weaves are here. Other art is also on this page, I finally put the photos into "albums" on my page, lol! :D @Cherylndesigns
I KNEW this would be right up your alley, Amanda!! You DO some many gorgeous artful things!!!

Kythe

CHEERY O
I have done batik on cotton. The hardest part was getting the wax out.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
I just made these bookmarks with Copic alcohol pens.
I saw these and they are FABULOUS Susie!! so very cute!!!

To make your picture more viewable, when you attach your file, you will see an Insert button in the top part of the pic, you need to click that and then the pic will be larger so we can see it. Just click the Edit button for your post and you will see it, like the pic below. :)
1660190746354.png

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
I saw these and they are FABULOUS Susie!! so very cute!!!

To make your picture more viewable, when you attach your file, you will see an Insert button in the top part of the pic, you need to click that and then the pic will be larger so we can see it. Just click the Edit button for your post and you will see it, like the pic below. :)
View attachment 377582
Just did it! Thank you!

Oldenmeade

Gosh there's some gorgeous stuff here!
I'm wondering if a pic of my junk journal would be appropriate for this forum?

Oldenmeade

View attachment 363125
Mind-bogglingly beautiful! I could sit and look at this for ages.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Gosh there's some gorgeous stuff here!
I'm wondering if a pic of my junk journal would be appropriate for this forum?
Go for it Anne, there is a current thread that Vicki Robertson started this month, just pop it in there, would love to see it. Use the Attach files option so you don't need to upload to the gallery at all.......... also, you can post any crafty type pics of mixed media journals, paintings, drawings etc etc, the only limitation is you can't post projects created with downloaded printables from non-Oscraps designers. :)

Jan thread is here: https://oscraps.com/community/threads/january-2023-mixed-media.36950/
It doesn't have to be made in January, it can be older project, but you might get more views in the new thread. :)

Oldenmeade

Go for it Anne, there is a current thread that Vicki Robertson started this month, just pop it in there, would love to see it. Use the Attach files option so you don't need to upload to the gallery at all.......... also, you can post any crafty type pics of mixed media journals, paintings, drawings etc etc, the only limitation is you can't post projects created with downloaded printables from non-Oscraps designers. :)

Jan thread is here: https://oscraps.com/community/threads/january-2023-mixed-media.36950/
It doesn't have to be made in January, it can be older project, but you might get more views in the new thread. :)
What if it has stuff that I've designed myself? Would that be ok?