Oscraps

Who Do You Want to Spend Christmas With?

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Every year I get really excited because we get almost 3 weeks off work (paid, yay! Less vacation but I'm okay with that) and I have time to really play in the records. Most Christmases I find a new ancestor or 2 or 10 and I happy dance in the wee morning hours and mourn the losses of their tiny ones. I've been thinking who I would like to have Christmas with and I think my 4th great grandparents on my mother's paternal side, John and Martha Palding Winter and my 2X great grandparents on my father's paternal side, Handy C. and Nancy Calhoun Wood, would be welcome and excellent house guests. They are my two highest brick walls. I would dearly love to know more about each of them and who their parents and grandparents were. I would love to hear about their lives, their loves, their successes and their failures. Most of all, I would love to hug them, hold them close, and tell them how much I love them and how grateful I am they are mine!

What about you? Maybe we'll meet in the records and rejoice with each other. There are some of you I am sure will pop up because of our deep ancestry in the US. I sure would like to know how we connect. So maybe I'd be just as happy with a large potluck dinner and time with my genealogy friends here!

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
I think it would be great to meet my tenth great-grandfather, William Bradford. I would ask him about his decision to leave England and sail on the Mayflower. I would love to hear about life in the new colony from his point of view. I bought a Kindle version of his book, "Of Plymouth Plantation" but it would be so much more interesting to talk to him in person! I guess I will have to wait until I get to heaven for that! :)

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I think it would be great to meet my tenth great-grandfather, William Bradford. I would ask him about his decision to leave England and sail on the Mayflower. I would love to hear about life in the new colony from his point of view. I bought a Kindle version of his book, "Of Plymouth Plantation" but it would be so much more interesting to talk to him in person! I guess I will have to wait until I get to heaven for that! :)
I would also love to speak with William Bradford. As a Colonial Americanist historian, this time frame fascinates me. So much of what Bradford thought, said, and did affected all of Plymouth Plantation and Massachusetts as well as spin-off colonies like Rhode Island and Connecticut. It would be GREAT to sit across from him and chat!

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I’d rather have one more Christmas with my mom and her parents. I just miss my mom. I have good memories of my maternal grandparents but the both died within a few months of each other when I was seven. It would be great to talk to them again. Otherwise, maybe my paternal grandfather. I’m not sure I even have his real name and if we could talk maybe I’d make progress on my dad’s paternal line.

LSlycord

Oh my. Well of course, it is Mom and Dad. I miss them so much and would love to ask some questions that have come up since they have been gone. Grateful for every minute that I spent asking questions in my younger days...general curiosity and just loving to spend time with my parents resulted in me knowing lots of things.

But in addition to my parents, I'd love to have my maternal great-great grandparents. Grandma Ellie and Grandpa Chet...because I heard so many stories about them while I was growing up.

And my paternal great-grandpa Robert McCartt. It would be a great potluck...I'd cook a big family dinner.

This morning I woke up thinking that I don't know a single ancestor on my chart that wasn't in the USA. So that's my goal for 2023...I want to find some ancestors from across the pond.

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
So many I would like to meet from the past. I'd say one BIG party with everyone!

But if I had to pick one - it would be my paternal grand mother. I loved her, and there are so much I wish I had asked her about.