Oscraps

What's the oldest photo you have?

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
The oldest photo my family have is from 1892 -ish of my great grandfather as a baby with his (we are assuming) mother and grandmother. It is at my mom's place so I can't post it here. What about you?

Lynn Grieveson

Designer
Designer
I think it's this one of my Dad's family. Trouble is, it's saved in my files as 'don't know who anyone is?' LOL

I haven't dated it exactly but it would be late 1800s. What amazes me /reminds me how old I am ;-) is how few generations separate me from this lot.

Pretty sure I know where it is (outside my Dad's great-grandfather's farmhouse). His grandfather was a bit of a black sheep and ended up not having much to do with the family, and working down the mines. On paper, this side of my family are descended from the Plantagenet kings ... but a long line of youngest sons of youngest sons saw us slide so far down the social ladder that we literally ended up underground :oops:

Dont know anybody but could be Bells, its not Ivy Cottage (1).jpg

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I was sent photos from (unknown ancestors) which I'm guessing start around the early 1900's. I haven't scanned or scrapped any yet but it will be fun to eventually.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I think it's this one of my Dad's family. Trouble is, it's saved in my files as 'don't know who anyone is?' LOL

I haven't dated it exactly but it would be late 1800s. What amazes me /reminds me how old I am ;-) is how few generations separate me from this lot.

Pretty sure I know where it is (outside my Dad's great-grandfather's farmhouse). His grandfather was a bit of a black sheep and ended up not having much to do with the family, and working down the mines. On paper, this side of my family are descended from the Plantagenet kings ... but a long line of youngest sons of youngest sons saw us slide so far down the social ladder that we literally ended up underground :oops:

View attachment 368196
What a treasure, Lynn! Is there any chance you might be able to sharpen it a bit or try some filters that might show the details in the women's clothing? The men's fashions wouldn't have changed much, but the women's might offer some really good clues. Is this in England? Where? My roots are in Lincolnshire and there are some dated photos about that are very similar to this. The fashions tend to make me think 1880-1890. These styles of women's hats were popular around 1880.

The Plantagenets, eh? Fascinating history there. You know, it would be fun for each of us to post a thread specific to the lines we are researching and see where that takes us. I bet some of us are cousins and don't realize it!

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
My photos are around the early 1900's. My ancestors were not rich and certainly had no money for a photographer.
Mine weren't either, Sylvia, but you'd be surprised. They would scrape together the money for one photo shoot every now and again and once amateur photography began, they even invested in cameras. Mine never cease to maze me!

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
My oldest are probably from the 1930s of my maternal grandparents. After that it's probably mostly from the 40s and later.
Ah, but these are some really fun ones. We at least have movies from this time frame to help us date them.

Last edited:

janedee

I forgot to add the info I have for these photos. The top photo is likely my 4x great grandmother, probably taken in the 1860s or 1870s.
]
The lower photo is one of my 2x great grandfather's sisters (granddaughter of the lady above). I have photos of four of them dressed very similarly. This girl is the youngest. Strangely, as far as I know he only had three sisters, so I'm not sure who is the odd one out.
]

Last edited:

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
The oldest I have that I am confident of authenticity and date is this one of my great grandfather Thomas Jefferson WOOD and his first wife (that I am positive of, he may have had only 2, but perhaps as many as 4 that gave him 21 children) Mary Jane "Janie" LOVE. We call him TJW because we have so many Thomases. TJW was born in 1851 in then Ouachita County, Arkansas. He died in Lindsey, Garvin County, Oklahoma in 1936. Janie was born about 1856 in probably Clark County, Arkansas and died in 1892 near Prescott, Nevada County, Arkansas. While I can't find a marriage record for then - yet! - they were married sometime in 1870 or 1871, before Nevada County was incorporated (20 Mar 1871). Their first child, Mary Catherine "Mollie" Wood was born 14 Oct 1871 near Sayre, Ouachita County, Arkansas. The county lines were adjusted several times so the couple may not have moved. The county may have moved around them.

This photo is what is called a crayon portrait. The photographer shot the photo which was printed on "crayon paper" rather than photographic stock. Then the photographer or some other artist would draw over it with pastels, charcoal, and crayons to make it look like a painting or drawing. It could be expensive. Thomas was fairly well off until the Great Depression, but this is the only known image of them. The style of it suggests this was their wedding picture which dates it to after 27 August 1870 or early 1871. When you look closely at this image, you can see the photo underneath it in the eyes and the mouths. It's not very well executed! We believe Janie was Chickasaw - but can't prove it - and you can she she is clearly ruddier than TJW in the photo.

1648253849835.jpeg

LSlycord

Ok...this may not be my oldest but it is definitely close. I had forgotten about even having this one. This is my great grandmother and my great-great uncle as children. I was fortunate enough to know both of them as a child.
Uncle Bill was born in 1878 and Grandma Blanche was born in 1883, so I would definitely date this photo as pre-1890. Guessing their ages might have been 4 and 9 making the date around 1887.

Attachments

• Grandma Blanche and Uncle Bill as children.jpg
    Grandma Blanche and Uncle Bill as children.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 2

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Ok...this may not be my oldest but it is definitely close. I had forgotten about even having this one. This is my great grandmother and my great-great uncle as children. I was fortunate enough to know both of them as a child.
Uncle Bill was born in 1878 and Grandma Blanche was born in 1883, so I would definitely date this photo as pre-1890. Guessing their ages might have been 4 and 9 making the date around 1887.
What a sweet photo, Linda! I have deep roots in Iowa and my cousin has some cabinet cards with this same cover so she researched the photographer. William C. Edinger was in Plymouth County, Iowa (county seat Sioux City) clear across the state to the northwest on the 1885 Iowa State Census and first shows up in directories in Des Moines from 1888 on. He died in 1904. Your timing is spot on. I love your great grandmother's little dress. So precious!

LSlycord

What a sweet photo, Linda! I have deep roots in Iowa and my cousin has some cabinet cards with this same cover so she researched the photographer. William C. Edinger was in Plymouth County, Iowa (county seat Sioux City) clear across the state to the northwest on the 1885 Iowa State Census and first shows up in directories in Des Moines from 1888 on. He died in 1904. Your timing is spot on. I love your great grandmother's little dress. So precious!
Love the confirmation of the timing on my photo!

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Spotted this one that had been in my mother's collection of photos... some that she had from her mother.
This one is mother's father's parents -Simeon Augustus Carman and wife Mary Francis Tooley -taken around 1880. I know he lived to be 93 years old and died around 1917.

simeon augustus carman and wife mary francis tooley small.jpg

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Spotted this one that had been in my mother's collection of photos... some that she had from her mother.
This one is mother's father's parents -Simeon Augustus Carman and wife Mary Francis Tooley -taken around 1880. I know he lived to be 93 years old and died around 1917.

View attachment 368445
What a great photo. It's interesting that he is standing and she is seated. You don't see that very often, it's usually the other way around. Neat!

mcurtt

The oldest I have that I am confident of authenticity and date is this one of my great grandfather Thomas Jefferson WOOD and his first wife (that I am positive of, he may have had only 2, but perhaps as many as 4 that gave him 21 children) Mary Jane "Janie" LOVE. We call him TJW because we have so many Thomases. TJW was born in 1851 in then Ouachita County, Arkansas. He died in Lindsey, Garvin County, Oklahoma in 1936. Janie was born about 1856 in probably Clark County, Arkansas and died in 1892 near Prescott, Nevada County, Arkansas. While I can't find a marriage record for then - yet! - they were married sometime in 1870 or 1871, before Nevada County was incorporated (20 Mar 1871). Their first child, Mary Catherine "Mollie" Wood was born 14 Oct 1871 near Sayre, Ouachita County, Arkansas. The county lines were adjusted several times so the couple may not have moved. The county may have moved around them.

This photo is what is called a crayon portrait. The photographer shot the photo which was printed on "crayon paper" rather than photographic stock. Then the photographer or some other artist would draw over it with pastels, charcoal, and crayons to make it look like a painting or drawing. It could be expensive. Thomas was fairly well off until the Great Depression, but this is the only known image of them. The style of it suggests this was their wedding picture which dates it to after 27 August 1870 or early 1871. When you look closely at this image, you can see the photo underneath it in the eyes and the mouths. It's not very well executed! We believe Janie was Chickasaw - but can't prove it - and you can she she is clearly ruddier than TJW in the photo.

View attachment 368387
How interesting and what a treasure!

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
My oldest pic is from 1874. The little girl on the lap of her father is my DH's great-grandmother. She was born in 1873. The photo was taken in Malmo, Sweden. View attachment 368556
Fabulous picture! Truly a gem in your collection. What sweet faces! Is this a cabinet card? Are you fortunate enough to have the cover? Some of them are as beautiful and wonderful as the photos themselves.

mcurtt

Fabulous picture! Truly a gem in your collection. What sweet faces! Is this a cabinet card? Are you fortunate enough to have the cover? Some of them are as beautiful and wonderful as the photos themselves.
Unfortunately, I don't have the original. That resides with my 95 year old mother-in-law. I recall it being on a board, but I believe it was larger than a cabinet card. I scanned the original around 15 years ago, and I don't recall.

Last edited: